What can a person expect renting a house at 5,000 baht a month?

Scouse123

4 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Rents are not determined by size or for a Lesser  degree by location. Rents are determined by what the Tennant is willing to pay. Also I'm afraid to say Wether your a local or a farang.  house in village near us (not ours another landlord) for rent thai price 4500bht pm Farang price 6000 bht pm It is what it is.

I would be interested to see what people actually get for 3000 - 7000 a month. 

I had a 2 bedroom townhouse like 5 years ago in the village for 3000 a month but it was straight up Thai style. Squat toilet (that I paid to change at a whopping 2k) single light bulb per 'room' - single plug outlet in the most random and inconvenient place per 'room' - light blue & pink cloud tiles through out etc.... 

After we sold our last house I got in a brand new 2 bed townhouse for 7k. Gyprock ceilings, downlights, earthed electric, polished & stained teak stairs with stainless handrails. 

I think what a lot of people find to be a 'good deal' others might not think so much. 

Location does have a lot to do with it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry,but i have to say this,even if it is "i only pay"

We have a 2 bed,2 wetroom Eropean style house (wifes House) 2 years old.Very modern and all good quality materials(was in building game,so am aware) we dont have air con,i admit,but thats because we dont find it necessary.I am acclimatized, and i am ok with fans.We dont cook so much out doors as we have a modern kitchen.which has an Electric oven and grill.But we have the compulsory bottle bomb outside with the connected 'take your chance it wont set you on fire' gas hob.Its good for doing french fries.We have hot water showers and a water filter,Wi Fi,True Vision,2 TV's 7/8 fans,a big fridge freezer,washing machine,and other electric appliances like kettles and irons.

We went to the local town last night to eat,whilst there i dropped into the seven to pay my monthly bill,A whacking great 376.60 Baht. its never over 450.00.We are not mean with the electric,2/3 showers a day,each,Fans on all day,TV in the morning and all of the evening.4/5 hours computer time daily,etc.Normal usage.

I guess it must be the air conn that eats it.

13 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

We have a 2 bed,2 wetroom Eropean style house (wifes House) 2 years old.Very modern and all good quality materials(was in building game,so am aware) we dont have air con,i admit,but thats because we dont find it necessary.I am acclimatized, and i am ok with fans.We dont cook so much out doors as we have a modern kitchen.which has an Electric oven and grill.But we have the compulsory bottle bomb outside with the connected 'take your chance it wont set you on fire' gas hob.Its good for doing french fries.We have hot water showers and a water filter,Wi Fi,True Vision,2 TV's 7/8 fans,a big fridge freezer,washing machine,and other electric appliances like kettles and irons.

We went to the local town last night to eat,whilst there i dropped into the seven to pay my monthly bill,A whacking great 376.60 Baht. its never over 450.00.We are not mean with the electric,2/3 showers a day,each,Fans on all day,TV in the morning and all of the evening.4/5 hours computer time daily,etc.Normal usage.

Ours is a tad more than that it usualy averages around 1300 pm. We have air con 4 in total 2 in bedrooms on for an hr or so before sleep. 1 in front room as needed (depends on heat of day). one in Shop runs as needed usualy from 1200 to 1500 on 27° we don't scrimp on electric we like your use fans most of the day. . We are happy with cost of Electric. 

Edited by Deepinthailand

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Rents are not determined by size or for a Lesser  degree by location. Rents are determined by what the Tennant is willing to pay. Also I'm afraid to say Wether your a local or a farang.  house in village near us (not ours another landlord) for rent thai price 4500bht pm Farang price 6000 bht pm It is what it is.

Thanks... excellent information, although I'm not surprised... I was going to ask if anyone had evidence of house price disparity last night..... but it seemed so obvious that I thought it would be ignored!?

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I was told not to use AC on my first day here, because of cost.... but still, that's extraordinarily cheap.... I pay 5k.... the last house ( when I had a job) was 10k

pools, ponds, bores... all the jazz 

in Phuket, I believe the rate is 4.5 per unit.... is there a unit cost difference between here and there ( which I have been told is true?)

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

A whacking great 376.60 Baht. i

I'm always intrigued when people say they run

hot water showers and a water filter,Wi Fi,True Vision,2 TV's 7/8 fans,a big fridge freezer,washing machine,and other electric appliances like kettles and irons.  etc etc   but only have a bill of 376 baht

how many units of electricity did you use ?   94 units maybe  

or maybe  you forgot the whacking great grid tied solar panel system on your roof ?

unit price does go up the more you use   my unit price @ about 1000-1600 baht per month is 3.72 +  the FT ( fuel tariff) + 7% VAT

if you are very frugal and use less than 50 units for 3 months in a row  they will let you have it for free !!!!

50 units free copy.jpg

And to be on topic

in Na-Jomtien Chonburi province you can find Thai style  1 bedroom " apartments"   33 square meters unfurnished for  2500 baht + utilities per month  

furnished ( tiled kitchen/balcony with sink, aircon, bed, wardrobe,sofa and mosquito screens)

for  3500 and upwards   depending on how good/old the decor and furniture is.

In Pattaya town itself  I was paying 5000 baht per month for an unfurnished 2 storey ex shophouse 90 square meters  right next door to "friendship supermarket" 10 minute walk to the beach ( not that you'd want to swim on that beach though )

We have a 3 year old, furnished home in Bueng Kan sitting empty for 10 months a year. The other 2 months we are there.

I would never rent it out.

If we decide to take off to Thailand suddenly we just turn up. The neighbour keeps an eye on it and we pay her to give it a quick clean the day before we arrive.

For less than a few hundred dollars a month that we could make from rent is isn't worth the hassle. 

33 minutes ago, sipi said:

We have a 3 year old, furnished home in Bueng Kan sitting empty for 10 months a year. The other 2 months we are there.

I would never rent it out.

If we decide to take off to Thailand suddenly we just turn up. The neighbour keeps an eye on it and we pay her to give it a quick clean the day before we arrive.

For less than a few hundred dollars a month that we could make from rent is isn't worth the hassle. 

Personaly if I was only over for 2 months out of a year I would rent it out. sitting dormant for ten months seems to me like a waste. rent it out keep the rent money to pay for a good hotel and food when you come out and have some left over.

23 hours ago, DSJPC said:

just for comparison:  I have rented a 3-bedroom (all with aircon), 3-bathroom (all with hot water heaters), for the past 4 years, fully furnished modestly (TV, bedding, pots and pans, dishes, utensils, etc.) in rural Chiang Mai area (10miles from the city)  for 7000 baht per month plus 300 baht per month for maintenance......this was a real bargain!...even Thais thought so!...probably u can get more for your house...

DSJPC....HUSH UP! You wanna possibly spoil things for me? If I didn't have to leave this Land of Smirks for several months in the very near future, and head on back across the pond, I think I'd be over knocking on George's door in the morning. Sounds like an excellent deal to me. I have lived "in the boonies" all over the north and northeast Thailand this past twenty five years, and LOVED IT! Will be doing so again when I return. This time I'm gonna hang up my hat in one place long term. Getting  quite sick of living here in China tow...sorry Chiang Mai.  Gonna be looking for something like this in the northeast. Ideal for moi methinks. I got tons of in laws over that way. But what the heck. Ya can't have everything. Anyway, I got Georgie bookmarked. Ya never know yer luck in deh big city ( or sometimes the boonies )

Edited by UPDEHSOI

Guys,

Thanks everyone for input and suggestions. I have an English retired couple who wish to take it as is. They were impressed with the house facilities and location as well as the big gardens.

The upside is they wish to buy their own additional furnishings and rent for a year at a time paying upfront but stay only six months on condition it is locked and not rented in their absence.

So it's all working out for the good. Thanks again everybody. My other half will keep the rent as an addition to her income but maintain it and keep it ship shape during the tenants absence.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

46 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Guys,

Thanks everyone for input and suggestions. I have an English retired couple who wish to take it as is. They were impressed with the house facilities and location as well as the big gardens.

The upside is they wish to buy their own additional furnishings and rent for a year at a time paying upfront but stay only six months on condition it is locked and not rented in their absence.

So it's all working out for the good. Thanks again everybody. My other half will keep the rent as an addition to her income but maintain it and keep it ship shape during the tenants absence.

A "win win" situation. For the price of an airfare they have a retirement holiday house to rent, and you make some extra pocket money.

Well done.

3 hours ago, johng said:

I'm always intrigued when people say they run

hot water showers and a water filter,Wi Fi,True Vision,2 TV's 7/8 fans,a big fridge freezer,washing machine,and other electric appliances like kettles and irons.  etc etc   but only have a bill of 376 baht

why are you intrigued? i pay about the same... per day :whistling:

elec aug16.jpg

elec aug16.jpg

johng

Now now dont take the piss.I never check unit numbers.As i said its never more than 450 pm.And no we dont have a solar panel on the roof,you are a silly billy. i can only speak as i find.Why would i lie about the bill.I guess you will have to remain intrigued.But i am sorry you lost your temper.:smile:

To me it sounds like you have potential for making more from this property than what you are asking, but I don't know if your market to rent to foreigners would be your best choice for renters. At least longer term anyway. 

Being so close to the hospital and walking distance I think I would target single nurses as my prime renters. If you can add a bed or two you may be able to find 3 of them that will move into together and ask something 2,500 Baht each. Get someone to write and advertisement in Thai and find a place in the Hospital Bulletin Board to advertise.  Just a thought. 

11 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Being so close to the hospital and walking distance I think I would target single nurses as my prime renters. If you can add a bed or two you may be able to find 3 of them that will move into together and ask something 2,500 Baht each. Get someone to write and advertisement in Thai and find a place in the Hospital Bulletin Board to advertise.  Just a thought. 

I dunno man sounds like an easy way to get a place destroyed. 

If it was me I would rather rent to a foreigner pair for 5k a month than like 4 different Thais together for 8k. Also trying to get 3-4 random thais to pay their share of the bill on time etc... Sounds really aggravating for another $100. 

12 minutes ago, Strange said:

I dunno man sounds like an easy way to get a place destroyed. 

If it was me I would rather rent to a foreigner pair for 5k a month than like 4 different Thais together for 8k. Also trying to get 3-4 random thais to pay their share of the bill on time etc... Sounds really aggravating for another $100. 

Not saying it is better to rent to a Thai.

What I am saying as a Foreigner myself is that there is no way in hell I would rent a place like this for any money. For sure not Long Term. Not saying others won't though. Good Luck!  

12 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Not saying it is better to rent to a Thai.

What I am saying as a Foreigner myself is that there is no way in hell I would rent a place like this for any money. For sure not Long Term. Not saying others won't though. Good Luck!  

I know what you mean, but there are plenty of guys that buy homes to rent them out. Im renting from one right now. 

Not thai bashing but thais don't really take care of anything even when they own it.

51 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

To me it sounds like you have potential for making more from this property than what you are asking, but I don't know if your market to rent to foreigners would be your best choice for renters. At least longer term anyway. 

Rent to Thais at your peril.  Just too problematic and getting them out would be a nightmare if it came to it. 

The OP isn't looking to become a millionaire on the back of a 5k a month rental.  Bear that in mind.

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

I know what you mean, but there are plenty of guys that buy homes to rent them out. Im renting from one right now. 

Not thai bashing but thais don't really take care of anything even when they own it.

I didn't know there were that many guys buying homes and then renting these homes out there for only 5,000 Baht a Month. I don't see any money in that but?

I guess if you have a house you are not using, and you don't mind renters, then sure, go ahead. I couldn't be bother for only 200 Bucks. But Hey! Up-to-You!  

6 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

I didn't know there were that many guys buying homes and then renting these homes out there for only 5,000 Baht a Month. I don't see any money in that but?

I guess if you have a house you are not using, and you don't mind renters, then sure, go ahead. I couldn't be bother for only 200 Bucks. But Hey! Up-to-You!  

You are making money even if it's only 5000 pm especially if the house has no mortgage or loan against it. Better 5k in your pocket than an empty house.

The wife has 5 rented properties pm she gets 45k that's 540k per year enough to build another in our neck of the woods. Not to be sniffed at

Edited by Deepinthailand

23 minutes ago, acid thunder said:

Rent to Thais at your peril.  Just too problematic and getting them out would be a nightmare if it came to it. 

The OP isn't looking to become a millionaire on the back of a 5k a month rental.  Bear that in mind.

Yeah! You guys are probably right now that I think of it. I suppose if you have Foreigners lined up to rent you place then by all means rent it to them. But it is because it is only 5,000 Baht a month I am not sure why I would bother renting it out at all. Even just ti fill out the Income Taxes each year. 

48 minutes ago, acid thunder said:

Don't agree with the fist bit of your post, we do exactly that only rent to Thais.  more problems with farang than Thais. (do have one long term Farang ). Thais are a lot easier to deal with and less inclined to move on as farangs seem to do. 

48 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

You can build a cookie cutter 3 bed thai house with a tile roof on less than a ngnaan of land for about 1 - 1.3 million using day labor and being the contractor. 5k a month and thats 15 years. Most of the time the rents are more like 7-10k. Isaan way. 

I dont do it but thats the idea some of the guys I know. 

1 hour ago, Strange said:

lmao my wife ALWAYS complains about my bill always over 5k. 

Just showed her yours and you should have heard her rant lol. 

my "record" was 21,000 Baht / 4,930 kWh (april 15 to may 16).

Gents,

The house in question was initially used for the benefit of my partners Thai parents. While the father passed away, the mother has decided to move in with her daughter to a Thai style house.

It was used by the mother, son and niece to live in but was built for us and friends coming to visit,It was left in a dreadful state of repair when they moved with no maintenance at all being done on the property, not even light bulbs replaced nor broken handles fixed ( and the son is supposed to be a handyman! )

My wife was appalled at this and spent two weeks with an outside handyman bringing the house back up to scratch . I have paid for all repairs and work to bring it back to standard.

It is now restored to its former glory and looks well. We will just get the outside re turfed as they didn't even keep that area watered and clean. They have now moved, along with their ducks, chickens and other unwanted garden guests.

The Thai nurse option of renting to them was something I never thought about but I know quite a few of the local nurses and all seem to be married and have housing. However, the husband and wife from Europe are both in their mid sixties, known to us, and have easily enough money to pay for 12 months but only be here for 6 to escape the cold in Europe during the winter, so it should be OK.

One or two asked about the location. It is in a small busy town between Roi Et and Kalasin.it is about 45 minutes from the Roi Et airport. Nearby is Somdet.

why are you intrigued? i pay about the same... per day :whistling:

I can understand that keeping the Klingon warship fully cloaked 24/7 requires quite a bit of power...I'm intrigued when others say they can do the same but with much less power requirements.

12 hours ago, Strange said:

You can build a cookie cutter 3 bed thai house with a tile roof on less than a ngnaan of land for about 1 - 1.3 million using day labor and being the contractor. 5k a month and thats 15 years. Most of the time the rents are more like 7-10k. Isaan way. 

I dont do it but thats the idea some of the guys I know. 

On paper it always works out. I am sure for the guys that bought all those cheap condos in Pattaya it all worked out on paper for them to. Yet in my building alone I couldn't count all the empty condos that were up for rent.

Sure it is great if you can find someone like the Op has, with people who will pay one years rent and only stay 6 months of the year, every year. It is hard for him to lose on that deal. I have also read plenty of success stories here about people who rent out places and do great. Or as they claim.

But as I said take a drive by in Pattaya at night time and see if you can count all the empty places.  I agree that if you can keep you place rented with good tenants all the time it is great. But the real tick is to be able to do that I think. But since the Op already owns this property then he has nothing to lose by renting it out.