Phuket man, 68, dies in four-vehicle wipeout

webfact

Phuket man, 68, dies in four-vehicle wipeout

Eakkapop Thongtub

1480049548_1-org.jpg

Police at the scene of the deadly crash in central Phuket this morning (Nov 25). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A 68-year-old local resident died in an accident involving four vehicles near the Heroines Monument, in central Phuket, during peak hour this morning (Nov 25).

The accident occurred on Route 4027 about 500 metres east of the Heroines Monument, at about 7am.

Lt Sunan Petchnoo of the Thalang Police arrived at the scene with Kusoldharm rescue workers to find three damaged cars – a Subaru, a black Toyota Fortuner and grey Nissan Pajaro – and the wreckage of a Honda Wave motorbike on the road.

Nearby was the body of 68-year-old Pa Khlok resident Soonthorn Chinphak. He had suffered a broken leg and severe head trauma.

Mr Soonthorn was not wearing a helmet ta the time of the accident, police confirmed.

Mr Soonthorn was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was taken to Thalang Hospital, said Lt Sunan.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-man-68-dies-in-four-vehicle-wipeout-60003.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-25

And nobody will learn from it. Even people who whitnessed the accident will drive tomorrow again without helmet. And of course police wont ... police the area to enforce traffic laws. That part of road there is a huge hazard to motorcyclists with all the illegal businesses on the road and people going left and right over all lanes.

I would hazard a guess the bike created the problem as that road is running straight along there up to the roundabout. Him creating the problem would have probably caused the vehicles to collide trying to avoid the accident. No helmet, no life. 

Mansell: I drive there daily and I'd say that it was most likely the fault of both the car as well as the motorbike driver. People come out from the side where everyone parks on the road without paying attention to the traffic on the road. And cars driving on the road in many cases are going too fast for the conditions. That results in cars swaying around the merging people and crossing the yellow safety zone. It's pretty insane because this road has I think 5 lanes in that direction out of which one is free at busy times because of the mentioned illegal business and people parking on the road. Numerous people died at that spot and the authorities who are responsible couldn't care less. And the locals don't seem to care or hold them accountable either.

Drove home about an hour or so ago and just a few hundred meters towards Pa Khlok after the fatal accident that this topic is about, another fatal accident happened! A bus came out of a soi and crossed the whole street and a guy on a motorbike hit either the bus or a car, not sure. But it happened a few minutes before I drove there and saw a body covered with a blanket on the street. Lessons learned? None. The insanity wont stop.

On 11/25/2016 at 7:50 PM, Cuchulainn said:

...............severe head trauma.

..............was not wearing a helmet

Don't need to say anymore.

Interesting that people are condemning the guy for not wearing a helmet.

I find the 1km of that road east of Heroines absolutely lethal and drivers of cars using it as a racetrack- the thickest helmet in the world would not have saved the guy looking at the vehicle damage.

People are shooting out from the shops, undertaking, overtaking and coming out from the housing estates without looking.