Computer help needed

colinneil

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

You mean you want to change the WiFi password?

If so, you have to login to the router.

Enter in the browser address line:

and hit the <Enter> key.

A logon screen should appear.

If the router is still in 3BB default you use the following:

User:          admin

Password: 3bb

(this is NOT the wifi password)

Does that work?

From now it depends on the router model.

There should be something like "WiFi", "Security".

Can you name the router model nr.?

Some 3bb routers are;

USER:           admin

Password:   (last four number and/or letters of MAC address) listed on the back of the router - that can be changed and should also.

Should be paper work that came with router and your copy of the install paper work listing all this stuff or take it into a 3bb office they can plug it in and change both login and wifi pass for you, just tell them what you want them to be.  When you plug it back in at home they will work.  Write it down both the old defaults and the new ones - a reset or uploaded change from 3bb may change them back and lock you out otherwise.

I see you said wifi 3bb if you mean you don't even have a router just using 3bb public wifi with a phone I don't know - didn't think about that untill after I posted.

12 minutes ago, RKASA said:

Some 3bb routers are;

USER:           admin

Password:   (last four number and/or letters of MAC address) listed on the back of the router - that can be changed and should also.

Would be good if they had improved from this highly unsafe default router PWs.

4 digits, better than nothing although far from safe.

So yes, change this too.

Just found a picture in a Thai forum that supports your description.

Cropped/enlarged, PW would be "8284" in this example:

pwfrommac.jpg

Colin, best thing to do is contact your local 3BB and see what they use for their password. While you are doing that, confirm what the IP address is for your router and then follow KkunBENQ's instructions in post #3.

The last 3 routers I have setup from 3BB have all had different passwords (username has always been 'admin' and can't be changed), one with my telephone number, one 3BB and one the partial MAC address.

Note that if it is a fiber connection, they may not give you access to the router, if the router isn't WiFi compatible you will have to connect through IP to the access point and follow the instructions in post #3.

Archived