Phuket armed officials seize Freedom Beach

snoop1130

Phuket armed officials seize Freedom Beach

Darawan Naknakhon

1480071875_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- Accompanied by armed military personnel, forestry officials today (Nov 25) seized 65 rai of land next to Freedom Beach, on the headland to the south of Patong valued at an estimated B4 billion that has been deemed to be public land.

One man at the site hired to charge tourists B200 per person to cross the land to access Freedom beach was also taken into custody.

The raid party, comprising forestry officials, police and Thai Royal Navy security personnel from the Third Area of Command, arrived at the popular tourist site at 11am.

Phuket Land Office Chief Watcharin Jetanawanich today confirmed to The Phuket News that Land Department Deputy Director Somwut Saikaew on May 12 issued an order for two Chanote land titles issued to Eakachai Sae’iew to be deregistered with the authority of Land Department Director-General Apinan Suethanuwong. 

Royal Forestry Department region office Director Boonsueb Samakrat today explained that the two Chanote titles were issued for 65 rai of land inside in a national reserve forest area.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-armed-officials-seize-freedom-beach-60019.php#DJSx6U10SWqYdJpF.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-25

I wonder why people are being charged 100 baht (20 baht to Thais) to access Laem Sing beach. That's a license to print money. Now that the crook at Freedom Beach is gone, where else do they charge to get on to the King's beach? 

13 minutes ago, Pinot said:

I wonder why people are being charged 100 baht (20 baht to Thais) to access Laem Sing beach. That's a license to print money. Now that the crook at Freedom Beach is gone, where else do they charge to get on to the King's beach? 

I think it's more of a case of landowners charging a fee for allowing you to enter their private land in order to get to the beach situated on public (crown) land. If the access is via private land, then they would be within their rights to charge a fee for walking across or parking on their land.

A while back, my wife questioned the guys collecting money at Laem Singh and she was told that it's a company that receives the money (presumably because they own the land between the road and the beach?). In any event, those guys were issuing receipts with the company name printed at the top. 

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

"I bought this land because I want to develop it to promote tourism for our island,” he said

:cheesy::cheesy:

How many signs and stickers does one need to sell in order to buy 65 rai of land valued at 4 billion baht?

• 1 month later...