Thai Accountability In Foreign Publications

Dutchy

Just found a nice article on Thai drivers' licenses at http://www.holidaytimes-online.com/driving.htm

The following line caught my attention:

"The more affluent driver, even if not at fault, is frequently compelled to cover the expenses of the other party in an accident."

Thailand strives towards being a first world country, wouldn't it be time that some responsibility for one's own actions should be considered normal?

Dutchy

I think so.

And have you noticed that in most country's first class insurance covers your car as well as medical coverage,and what is called PL/PD just covers the other car and injuries if you are at fault, Here 3rd class which is PL/PD just covers medical and injury of the people.so you go to jail til all financial aspects are covered, at fault or not.

at least thats the way I understand it. and being a farang,you are automatically at fault.

Thailand strives towards being a first world country, wouldn't it be time that some responsibility for one's own actions should be considered normal?

the time when thais will come to accept responsibility for the consequences of their actions is i fear a long way off.

i think it may have something to do with the way that,as young children,they are allowed to do what they want,when they want with little or no disciplining.

At the end of every traffic accident report you read in the papers, you will notice that the reporter routinely adds the line, 'The driver fled the scene' (usually accompanied by any police officers who might have been unfortunate enough to be witnesses).

Thailand is a driver-fled-the-scene kind of country. Nothing will ever change that.