How much cash can I bring on a flight out of the US?

Have you ever gotten ridiculous questions / pulled aside by tsa when you carry cash to Thailand?  I'm carrying about US$5k in $100 bills this time.  I don't want it to be stolen by these thugs.  Usually the tsa thugs target me and ask me  stupid questions, so I don't want to risk anything.  Maybe I should take some gold coins or something.  Have you ever had cash stolen by the corrupt tsa?  I've been told by friends that it's a problem.

I brought 20k usd cash to Thailand 2 weeks ago. Not from USA but neigbor country. At the airport in Bangkok (Don Muang), I went straight to the customs and told them. They asked me if I have Only 20k usd or more. I said maybe few hundred more. They said no problem, no need to declare. They did not even ask to check my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, asiaexpat said:

There is no limit to the amount of currency brought into Thailand, however any amount 10K or more must be reported to US customs and any amount 20K or more must be reported to Thailand customs. 

Try doing that in the ussa police state.  I'm sure big brother is viewing me from my webcam and reading my emails now.  In america internet browse you!  I guess I will just take $2500.  If I take $5,000 they will report me to the police and the money will be stolen. I probably cannot even get $3000 out of the ussa due to it's capital controls.

According to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), it is legal to travel with any amount of cash or other monetary instruments in and out of the United States. However, you must declare your cash to customs if the amount exceeds $10,000 or its foreign equivalent.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/travel-airline-cash-9937.html

You should not be asking such an important question on any forum.

The wrong information could get your money seized, you could incur heavy fines and criminal penalties.

There is no limit providing you report it.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-and-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have $10,000 or more in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790).

Please be aware, if persons/family members traveling together have $10,000 or more, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency.

For example, if one person is carrying $5,000 and the other has $6,000, they have a total of $11, 000 in their possession and must report it on a FinCEN 105. If a person or family fails to declare their monetary instruments in amounts of over $10,000, their monetary instrument(s) may be subject to forfeiture and could result in civil and or criminal penalties.

The FinCEN 105 can be obtained prior to traveling or when going through CBP. If assistance is required, a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer can help with filling out the form.

Edited by Kabula
Correction

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have $10,000 or more in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments".

Once I traveled here from LAX (Los Angeles) with about $30,000 USD in Traveler's Cheques which I obtained from my local bank.  They offer excellent assurance that if for any reason they are lost or stolen, they will be replaced by American Express or Visa, depending which ones your bank offers.  

With the knowledge I had to declare the funds before boarding my outbound flight or risk the chance of the funds being confiscated, I stopped at The United States Department of Homeland Security counter at the front of the Tomas Bradley Terminal (LAX) to declare the funds.  The official asked me why I was traveling with such a large amount of cash.  My response was "I am traveling for the purpose of Medical Tourism, and that I didn't know how much money I would need to spend".

He filled out my name, passport number and amount I was leaving with on a single sheet (form) and I signed it and he said, "okay, that's it.  All done".

I had to ask him for written statement documenting I complied with the law by declaring the outgoing funds and all he did was ask me for my boarding pass and he stamped the back of my boarding pass with a Department of Homeland Security rubber stamper.  I kept that boarding pass safe throughout my travels.  That was about 10 years ago.  The law regarding the $10,000 or more remains the same today.  I would assume The Department of Homeland Security has a better document by now to provide the passanger with proof of compliance (of the law).  As an American, you are free to travel or wire your money to almost a you country, except countries like Iran, etc.

Therefore, it's a very simple procedure.  They don't stand there counting your money. Just a simple signed statement is necessary.  Traveler's Cheques are highly recommended.  Have a nice trip!

8 hours ago, bantak1 said:

I have often taken more than that with no problems. I think the limit is 10,000.
I prefer to wire my money over if you have that option.

Bad info...no limit providing the money is reported.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-and-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Are you dropping a hint that you don't like the TSA..... 

I read between the lines that he don't trust them much.

I took $5000 out one time. Didn't want it out of my hands so just held it up high as I went thru the scanner; Lady TSA agent says what is that , I show her, she asks if I needed a girl friend. 555

I'm pretty sure the deal is $10k cash is alright, more than that you have to declare it is all. Of course 'declaring' places you on a watch list as you are probably a drug dealer, a terrorist, or a DC lobbyist.

32 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I read between the lines that he don't trust them much.

I took $5000 out one time. Didn't want it out of my hands so just held it up high as I went thru the scanner; Lady TSA agent says what is that , I show her, she asks if I needed a girl friend. 555

I'm pretty sure the deal is $10k cash is alright, more than that you have to declare it is all. Of course 'declaring' places you on a watch list as you are probably a drug dealer, a terrorist, or a DC lobbyist.

I don't understand why you would have to take paper money out of your pocket.  It doesn't affect the metal detector.

4 hours ago, james1995 said:

Try doing that in the ussa police state.  I'm sure big brother is viewing me from my webcam and reading my emails now.  In america internet browse you!  I guess I will just take $2500.  If I take $5,000 they will report me to the police and the money will be stolen. I probably cannot even get $3000 out of the ussa due to it's capital controls.

WOW you went goofy there.  They may be keeping an eye on you indeed.

The OP has some screws loose and I hope TSA DOES stop him and strip him to his shorts and make all of his worst nightmares come true.  

As far as money the money. . . .    10K or less requires NO declaration.   Anything over does.   Keep whatever you bring on your person as it will not set off any alarms.  

All my flights start at a regional airport before I board my international flight and as the only place I am going to see TSA is at that first airport I tell them nothing.

Take your meds  Take a nap.

2 hours ago, rijb said:

I don't understand why you would have to take paper money out of your pocket.  It doesn't affect the metal detector.

Please note that an airport sniffer dog is trained, if you're unlucky to chance on one, to sniff out cash.

Had it happen to me once and fortunately the amount was below the declared amount and I was free to go. 

26 minutes ago, acid thunder said:

Please note that an airport sniffer dog is trained, if you're unlucky to chance on one, to sniff out cash.

Had it happen to me once and fortunately the amount was below the declared amount and I was free to go. 

I thought only bar girls could do that.  :smile:

TSA is not the problem. Customs is the problem.

I look at TSA like mall security guards compared to US Customs who are like armed detectives who grill you while trying to get you to admit to random criminal actvities.

If you have ever been singled out, you know what l am talking about.

10 hours ago, james1995 said:

Stick with your medication, take it every day ok ! .

All this talk about the government reading your emails,  watching your every move,  police State, my friend told me.  That pretty much explains why some fear their own shadows!  TSA this TSA that?  why not just stay home and climb back into the hole and continue to live the rumors.

11 hours ago, james1995 said:

Dribble post  -  what planet do you reside on??  USSA,  TSA stealing money??  sounds like you have been on too many Conservative Forums.............I carried $25,000 from Washington DC, thru Hawaii, to Bangkok, declared with Customs not  a penny lost or stolen by anyone   -  I prefer to transfer, but this was Mad Money so I carried it.

58 minutes ago, ableguy said:

Stick with your medication, take it every day ok ! .

james1995 said:

using any medication on people like him is a futile attempt. hopeless cases that can't be cured. :sick: