Kingdom could become higher-education hub, says study.

rooster59

2 hours ago, banglassie said:

I'm doing my final studies here. I got nothing to complain on really. The lectures are on par with Sweden most of the time. It is a fact though that some of the local people in my program still copy and paste for reports and projects, and about 50% are bound to fail for the coming finals next week. I blame thks partly on how much easier it is to get in to international programs, if you have the ฿฿฿

Are you basing your 50% figure on past results at your institution?

The accepted wisdom is that in Thailand, "everybody passes".

It would be interesting to know from a primary source what their particular reality is.

Please could you PM me with the actual percentage?

Maybe you could start a thread if you feel motivated?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Is that the service crowd I see in retail institutions flogging their mobiles when I am impatiently waiting in line. I understand you need a degree to work there. Is flogging a mobile a profession??

Pretty sure you're right. Many jobs that would require a few GCSEs in the UK, A-Levels at most, require a bachelors degree in Thailand. 

8 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Are you basing your 50% figure on past results at your institution?

The accepted wisdom is that in Thailand, "everybody passes".

It would be interesting to know from a primary source what their particular reality is.

Please could you PM me with the actual percentage?

Maybe you could start a thread if you feel motivated?

I'm basing it on the results of our seniors last year as well as how many failed the midterms and how many already withdraw while they had a chance straight after the midterms, however, that's an estimated number by me and not an official number.
But yeah, I do know what you mean, I've always heard the same as well. However, I can only speak for my university, or rather my faculty. However, our faculty is one of the few international programs in our Uni. It is very possible to fail of course by simply not showing up for exams or not being in class enough etc. However, I have yet to see how it all turns out in the end before I can say too much about specific actual percentages.
All in all I have no bad comments about my faculty and the uni is acting professional whenever there are some issues needed to be solved. 

6 hours ago, Sphere said:

Are they now clubbing countries together just to make up fancy acronyms?

I nearly fell off my chair laughing at that first paragraph after the heading.  TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) as so last year.  New tactics for tictacs.

Also I wish they'd stop referring to Schooling as Education.

I've read some crap in my time but this  takes the biscuit.

how anyone could come to this conclusion from the information provided just goes to show how completely out of touch with academia some Thai educationalists are.

of course if they just want to sell "Belford" style degrees than they'd be brilliant at it....

3 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

I've read some crap in my time but this  takes the biscuit.

how anyone could come to this conclusion from the information provided just goes to show how completely out of touch with academia some Thai educationalists are.

What are you talking about? Neither Times Higher Education nor Phil Baty are Thai educationalists...

8 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

What university lecturer in their right mind would work here to be f*%$€d around by xenophobic Thai colleagues and Immigration Dept' ?

Sent from my twisted mind using Thaivisa Connect

Yes and we can add in the restrictions on what can and can't be taught because it will upset, offend, confuse etc.

As example, history has to be handled carefully and in literature would anyone currently find it easy to discuss the works of Orwell ?

What might work would be if Universities set up satellite campuses in Thailand.  Something they control and only intermingle with Thai education where agreed upon ONLY.  There are several abandon hotels that might work.  Satellite campuses are / or were very popular with American Universities and Colleges.  

Enrollments are high here because of the proliferation of private universities than take any numskull that can pay. It's all about making face and getting "that piece of paper". I'm sorry, but Thailand will never be the hub of education in SE Asia, let alone the world, in my life time and probably not my son's. lifetime either. Not until that take learning english seriously and make it an official language. 

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

What it fails to mention is that you really don't need to be intelligent or academically orientated to go to university in Thailand; the system is open to anyone who pays the fee and you'll come out of it after four years with a bachelors degree.

I wonder if any of the other countries have the same system?

The USA has eroded every aspect of education to increase graduation of rates of minories that are poor students...even Harvard has few true standards anymore, at least at the undergrad level...everyone graduates...so these inane policies make standardized testing even more important, despite cries that the tests are biased...the truth is that they simply show individual and group differences that are often masked by lax standards...

1 hour ago, banglassie said:

That may be true for some universities, but most programs in chula, thammasat, mahidol etc do require the students to do a lot of tests before being able to enter the universities, especially the non-international programs.

Yeah testing dads bank account..............

Sphere, enjoyed your post enormously.............

Who are they kidding. No critical thinking. No asking questions in school. The kids would be better off playing Mine Craft...at least it develops logical thinking and solving things plus a little computer programming.  No hope for the education system here if they continue on the current path.

31 minutes ago, KBsinter said:

Yeah testing dads bank account..............

Sphere, enjoyed your post enormously.............

If you have any knowledge about the institutions I mentioned then you would know that the admission tests are quite difficult, but apparently you don't... All programs I have been looking at has at least a criteria for a certain GPA from previous studies as well as an admission test for the specific program, and in many cases the more central university entrance exam.

However, people with lots of money tend to apply in private universities where these rules don't apply. And where dads bank account surely will come in handy.

Kingdom could become higher-education hub, says study.

Thailand has the potential to become home to world-class universities in the future.

Yeah, right, and I could become the next Clark Gable. I have the potential to become a world-class movie star....lol

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

What it fails to mention is that you really don't need to be intelligent or academically orientated to go to university in Thailand; the system is open to anyone who pays the fee and you'll come out of it after four years with a bachelors degree.

I wonder if any of the other countries have the same system?

Yes, many Universities in the UK have the same system. I know for teaching at universities in both countries.

Thailand does not have a monopoly on cut-and-paste, or straight forward blatant plagiarism !

I could see Thai could well be a ED hub..

But you must be content in only buying a paper qualification, which the rest of the world probably wouldnt take very seriously.

whether you would actually learn anything is another thing.

my ex gfs sister..she would clean the house.sweep everything out the backdoor  and just leave it there.

Should you walk outside, you land in a pile of s##t.

she very educated and now a UNI lecturere..very smart

but not one ounce of common sense.555

Archived