Kingdom could become higher-education hub, says study.

rooster59

Kingdom could become higher-education hub, says study.

By The Sunday Nation

Thailand has the potential to become home to world-class universities in the future, according to the Times Higher Education (THE).

This week, THE announced that Thailand, Argentina, Chile, Turkey, Iran, Colombia and Serbia (TACTICS) had the potential to become higher-education stars. 

“TACTICS have a higher average proportion of university-aged students enrolled in higher education than BRICS [Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa], and greater average research quality,” Phil Baty, THE rankings editor, said.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30300926

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-27

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually makes more sense if you read the final "however...." quote from the author.

"Baty, however, pointed out that despite Thailand’s strong international outlook, “the political crisis in 2013-14 held back the nation’s universities and the government has been less committed in investing in higher education”, resulting in a poor research environment. He also suggested that an increase in Thai academic research papers written in the global language of English, could help boost Thailand’s reputation for higher education."

You have got to be joking!....Who on earth came up with this one???....This is the most ludicrous article I have ever read...an absolute delusional fa*t in the wind...

Tell me this is a hoax!....

Lets start out by saying the educational system here is the hub of cheaters and then we can go from there

I'm doing my final studies here. I got nothing to complain on really. The lectures are on par with Sweden most of the time. It is a fact though that some of the local people in my program still copy and paste for reports and projects, and about 50% are bound to fail for the coming finals next week. I blame thks partly on how much easier it is to get in to international programs, if you have the ฿฿฿

I think The Nation attributed the quotes to the wrong publication.  It should probably read "High Times" a famous magazine that follows all things ganja for over 50 years.  That can be the only explanation for placing Thailand and higher education hub in the same article.

What it fails to mention is that you really don't need to be intelligent or academically orientated to go to university in Thailand; the system is open to anyone who pays the fee and you'll come out of it after four years with a bachelors degree.

I wonder if any of the other countries have the same system?

9 minutes ago, madmitch said:

What it fails to mention is that you really don't need to be intelligent or academically orientated to go to university in Thailand; the system is open to anyone who pays the fee and you'll come out of it after four years with a bachelors degree.

I wonder if any of the other countries have the same system?

That may be true for some universities, but most programs in chula, thammasat, mahidol etc do require the students to do a lot of tests before being able to enter the universities, especially the non-international programs.

Having been on the inside for a long time, I can tell you this is BS as far as LoS is concerned.

There are pockets of excellence, but not enough to warrant the macro scale holding this label of excellence.

The majority environments are more backward than backward, frustrated by innovation killing red tape, jealousy, petty minded empire building and hoarding, plus the backdrop Thai culture of nepotism, feudal, patriarch etc all wrapped up in the logo economics of underfunded low pay and corrupt. The system blockages to success are a loooong list of such problems. Look at some key stats, like average publication per head. Look at the quality of the masses. You want more? Ok, try the inbred culture of memory learning, plagiarism ( many articles on that over the years, with many openly admitting it), the students mentality, the.....omg. No! It won't be a hub of tertiary education excellence. Move on to some other "hub of" idea.

21 minutes ago, banglassie said:

That may be true for some universities, but most programs in chula, thammasat, mahidol etc do require the students to do a lot of tests before being able to enter the universities, especially the non-international programs.

You are right. Many public universities are the same but those that fail the tests simply go to one of the paying options if they can afford it.

Just now, madmitch said:

You are right. Many public universities are the same but those that fail the tests simply go to one of the paying options if they can afford it.

Is that the service crowd I see in retail institutions flogging their mobiles when I am impatiently waiting in line. I understand you need a degree to work there. Is flogging a mobile a profession??

Archived