Kingdom could become higher-education hub, says study.

rooster59

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

Yes, many Universities in the UK have the same system. I know for teaching at universities in both countries.

Thailand does not have a monopoly on cut-and-paste, or straight forward blatant plagiarism !

Perhaps not, but Thailand is certainly at the forefront of 'paper' qualifications and plagiarism.

I wonder what percentage of the higher education experts commenting here have a PhD, or even a bachelors?

Thailand does have the potential to have a much more impressive academic presence than it currently enjoys. The facilities in the better universities are actually pretty good, very good by the standards of the developing world. If you browse through the lists of academic staff for places like Chula, Mahidol etc. you'll see many people with PhDs from strong Western institutions (or equivalents in Japan etc.), including Ivy leagues. If you dig deeper you'll find a lot of people who have produced high level research (and published in top journals). The problems in Thai academia aren't down to lack of facilities or academic staff (though obviously better staff and facilities are always welcome). The problems are to do with inflexibility and shortsightedness of the various interlocking administrative systems governing Thai higher education. In many cases the raw materials are already in place but they're being wasted by incompetent bureaucrats. If some of these essentially self inflicted problems were resolved, and yes, it's a big if, Thai higher education could be a regional leader. 

What it fails to mention is that you really don't need to be intelligent or academically orientated to go to university in Thailand; the system is open to anyone who pays the fee and you'll come out of it after four years with a bachelors degree.

I wonder if any of the other countries have the same system?

Yes. USA college sports stars have the same benefit. Further enhanced with free tuition via sports scholarships.

Thailand, Argentina, chili, turkey, Iran, and columbia.... havens of education in the own rights, some on the Australia travelers no go advice list.

columbia... chemistry ( drug production)

iran.... engineering and architecture (to rebuild it after the wars)

turkey... political sciences ( attempted coups and migration)

chili... history ( on human rights violations)

argentina.... economics (slums vs millionaires)

thailand.... politics.. ( corruption)

sounds like a well well rounded tactic... I maybe listed them in reverse... on purpose!

Just rechecked... it's definitely not 1st April, so it must be the joke of the day :cheesy:

6 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i hate the idea of leaving thailand after living here for so long but i hate the idea of my kids going to higher education even more.  when my eldest starts high school the dream is over, or at least postponed for 8 years till both kids are through secondary school.

Yes.....Any Thai with half a brain and money knows they must send their kids abroad to get a real and valid education.

16 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

What university lecturer in their right mind would work here to be f*%$€d around by xenophobic Thai colleagues and Immigration Dept' ?

Sent from my twisted mind using Thaivisa Connect

A great many - I know ones from UK, France, Germany, Italy, India, Australia. Most are PhD's. Their universities arrange their visas, extensions of stay and even do their 90 day reporting for them. Most have good relations with their Thai academic colleagues. 

18 hours ago, nausea said:

Aye, there's the rub.

All too often, the so called "English Teachers" can hardly speak the language. My child frequently has to correct the alleged English Teacher..... yes, at one of the "better schools."

19 hours ago, Shiver said:

I nearly fell off my chair laughing at that first paragraph after the heading.  TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) as so last year.  New tactics for tictacs.

Also I wish they'd stop referring to Schooling as Education.

"stop referring to Schooling as Education." - why?

Don't you like the word "education" ?

23 hours ago, banglassie said:

I'm doing my final studies here. I got nothing to complain on really. The lectures are on par with Sweden most of the time. It is a fact though that some of the local people in my program still copy and paste for reports and projects, and about 50% are bound to fail for the coming finals next week. I blame thks partly on how much easier it is to get in to international programs, if you have the ฿฿฿

Yes, two friends of mine from Denmark did their MBAs here and said the quality of lectures and the lecturers was excellent.

Archived