Re-Entry Permit Question

I'm confused on when a re-entry permit is required.  Specifically, if I have a non-immigrant multi-entry visa and I need to temporarily leave Thailand during the tenure of the visa, do I need to get a re-entry permit before departing Thailand?  I understand the need if its a single entry visa that was used to enter but it would seem the re-entry permit is not required if entry was on a multi-entry visa, however some web-sites seem to state even then a re-entry is required or you risk invalidating the visa upon departure and have to go through the entire original application  process again.    Appreciate clarification and thanks.    

If you have a multiple entry non-o visa issued by an embassy or consulate a re-entry permit is not needed since the visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for one year from the date of issue.

Only if you had an extension of stay from immigration would you need a re-entry permit.

• If you are returning before the visa expires ('enter before' date) you will get a new 90 day permit to stay and don't need a re-entry permit.
  • If your visa is expiring while your out the country, and you want to keep your current 90 day permission to stay alive, you could consider buying a re-entry permit.

As stated, "multiple entry" means "multiple entry". There is no need for re-entry permits if returning before the expiry date of the visa.

The reason many websites end up confusing people on this is that they confuse "permission to stay" and "visa". When you leave Thailand, your permission to stay ends. If you are here on an extension of stay, this is important, and you then do want a re-entry permit. Leaving Thailand has no effect on your visa. A multiple entry visa only becomes invalid when it is past its enter before date.