Farangs famous to Thais that most expats have never heard of

webfact

Farangs famous to Thais that most expats have never heard of

By Prae Sakaowan 

farang-header.jpg

BANGKOK: -- While most expats struggle to understand Thai people, these foreigners know a thing or two about how to win Thai hearts.

Sometimes, all it takes is the combination of a cute farang face and “adorable” accent when speaking Thai to make locals swoon. Other times, it’s the ultimate knowledge of English, aka the “universal language,” that Thais seek out foreigners for. Either way, these expats have successfully endeared themselves to locals, boasting hundreds of thousands of followers on social media. Most of them even make money with their popularity by becoming spokespeople for Thai products.

Here is your crash course on the foreigners that Thais love on social media:

My Mate Nate

Followers: 600,0000

The foreigner who has the spotlight on him at the moment is My Mate Nate, an American missionary-turned-YouTuber.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/29/farangs-famous-thais-most-expats-have-never-heard

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-29

4 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Jealous, much? Would make more sense if you replaced your nik with the word 'prat'.

Jealous of what ?

I prefer to keep my life private, never been an attention seeker.

Seems to me you are the jealous one and would crave the attention. 

Just now, Thaiwrath said:

Seems to me you are the jealous one and would crave the attention. 

Attention, schmattention.

Google up what a Youtuber with 600K followers can make for doing, well, what they enjoy anyway...  

Beats the crap out of honest work.  Or, what options those of my generation had available to us at that age.

Funny that....my mate Nate is very famous at the moment for asking a young lady if she has finished her period yet and making Thais look stupid.my wife pointed it out to me and they ain't too happy with him.being able to speak good Thai can sometimes back fire on oneself and slagging off the Thai education system won't do him any favours either.i suspect he will be on a flight home very soon and his Thai language won't be needed anymore.

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

Attention, schmattention.

Google up what a Youtuber with 600K followers can make for doing, well, what they enjoy anyway...  

Beats the crap out of honest work.  Or, what options those of my generation had available to us at that age.

I don't understand... Based solely on what I read on Thaivisa all these years, social media is just a waste of time used by lazy Thais and people who make money online are all backpackers who earn $5/day.

13 minutes ago, The man from udon said:

Funny that....my mate Nate is very famous at the moment for asking a young lady if she has finished her period yet and making Thais look stupid.

What a faceless cheap looser.

In another video he flushes a bag with hundreds of small coins on the desk at a 7/11 and finds it funny.

Kick him out ASAP.

Edited by Sunak

For all the criticism, the positive link is they learnt the language.

Easy to throw stones on this forum when you cannot speak the language. 

That seems about the only thing, they really achieved!
Bunch of thai'er than thai- bootlickers!
Thais turn to them, when they want to know, what farngs think of Thailand?
More like, they want to be confirmed in their view, that the whole world loves Thailand!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, The man from udon said:

Funny that....my mate Nate is very famous at the moment for asking a young lady if she has finished her period yet and making Thais look stupid.my wife pointed it out to me and they ain't too happy with him.being able to speak good Thai can sometimes back fire on oneself and slagging off the Thai education system won't do him any favours either.i suspect he will be on a flight home very soon and his Thai language won't be needed anymore.

He asked Thai men about their periods. While hes young and will make painful life mistakes, hes way ahead of most his age. Being an internet entrepreneur beats spraypainting walls eh?

Good for them. Hardly a real representation of western culture, most of them sound incredibly shallow, but I suppose that's the market over here. 

Does go to show how important learning Thai is. amazes me I have friends here for ten plus years who can barely count to ten. 

The reason we have never heard of them is because we are "old" that is over 10 years of age , we like to live our lives , that is "real" lives , not on social media all day where we have hundreds of "friends" 99% of which we have never met and never will (the other day i read about some guy who killed himself because his"girlfriend" on social media had dumped him) the only reason i have ever heard of "my mate the wa---ker." is because i looked at on here , once was more than enough , i have real mates not stupid dickheads who ask girls about their periods .

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If you replaced the word 'farangs' in the headline with 'prats', it would make better sense.

I think 'farang' is quite fitting. I use the word 'farang' as a derogatory term for posers or useless people. Kind of like 'white trash'. For friends and acquaintances, we never use the word.

Good for these guys that have manage to get a foothold in Thai social media and be well liked. 

Just be sensitive to the Thai culture and Traditions cause what might work in the western world might not be that tolerated in Thai society.

Nate was a good example recently even if he meant well.

Just remember most Thai's or Asians cannot accept "loss of face"