Would you work for a suspected Corrupt Educational Administration?

Rhys

A challenge here, the school is actually cool the students try, ok, some do... the community is proud of the relatively new university but the administration has been called on the carpet twice now in the media regarding allegations of corruption.

Time to go or keep head-down and bear it out?

For me, packing it up and leaving...

I would work for a suspectedly corrupt educational administration in Thailand because I believe one can't escape from being indirectly involved in suspected corruption if one is living in Thailand even as a holidaymaker. For me the only dilemma that might present itself is if I were asked to join an administration that I knew to be corrupt.

A foreigner teacher at a private Thai university was recently murdered. There are blogs that describe other teachers at that university receiving death threats. I can understand no naming and shaming but I feel teachers should have a heads up on this. It really could be a matter of life and death.

1 hour ago, Loaded said:

A foreigner teacher at a private Thai university was recently murdered. There are blogs that describe other teachers at that university receiving death threats. I can understand no naming and shaming but I feel teachers should have a heads up on this. It really could be a matter of life and death.

Unfortunately, for legal reasons, we can't permit that at this time.   I am sure there are other venues with less stringent rules which may not be based in Thailand that are in a better position to speculate on these matters.  

Once there is a news article from a source that we can use, then we will have greater freedom in discussing the situation.  

3 hours ago, Rhys said:

the community is proud of the relatively new university but the administration has been called on the carpet twice now in the media r

Corruption is endemic in LOS. A situation like this makes me think a higher up is having a tiff with someone who has some sway with the media. Bottom line, if I were a teacher and the kids are being taken care of and my employer was meeting his end of the contract I'd probably stay. 

I agree with the posters before me. Just keep your head down and do what they are paying you for. If the <deleted> was to hit the fan you would not be in the spot light but the school and its administration as you are just a person employed by them and not running the show. If you do feel worried, now is as good as any for looking at a new prospecting school as most school terms will finish in March.  

Actually, knew about some of the things going on... but to have it in print and flaunted about makes it a bit different for me.   Some have actually left...the new hires fit a particular mode.

Counting the days to leave, I will not renew..

OK Gents,  what is the best way to resign?   For example, if you are on a year contract... the full 12 months, and you have one more month to go.  The profile:  you don't ever plan on work in Thailand;  all funds from the school are paid out, no need to stay,  and you anticipate a possible attempt to have you remain until the end the month, and the kicker.... the work is done.

1.  Leave with the standard resignation letter or email.

2.  Speak to the person who hired you, give the personal reason gambit (Face to Face)

3.  Use the " I am not able to come to the office, I am sorry to inform you, effective immediately, 

4.  Just cannot stand to look these people, and want to be done with them.

5.  FM leave...then.

Archived