ED Visa Schools

Good day fellas!
I'm currently looking up for Thai language course in Bangkok that would help me secure 1-year visa with it, want learn Thai speech and do a web job on a side.
And so i stuck with a statement from some schools that MOE provides ED visa only if you enroll for no less than 400h/year course at least, at same time i also see plenty of schools with 200h/year programs. Any reliable way to proof/disproof such information? I'm not against to do 400h per yeah but spare time is priceless when you work on internet overseas.

On a side, if you have school you could recommend i will highly appreciate any info. Cheers.

I used pro language in Pattaya for 6 months and thought they were very good. They engage you in speech at first so that you gain a bit of confidence in the language ... and don't progress to written Thai until later in the course. I would use them again if I ever return to Thailand for a long time.

A two hour class is not too long but 4 classes per week will take their toll if you do not keep up with what you have learned, you can only "wing it" for so long. You will need at least an hour per day to revise and keep up, in my view, if you are serious about learning. I'd do that first thing in the morning.

Try to stay close to the school, as you don't want to waste time travelling far back and forth from your place of stay. 

I reckon you'll have to budget for 15 hours per week + travel time, and work out what time you need for your web based business, plus rest and recreation.

Good luck.

Thanks for replies guys!

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 400 hours for a total stay of one year and 200 hours for 6 months.

You have to attend classes 4 days a week for 2 hours.

So dose those 200h/year schools are just scam people? 

3 minutes ago, Smimth said:

Thanks for replies guys!

So dose those 200h/year schools are just scam people? 

No ... they are 6 months as opposed to 12 months I believe. The point being that if you want a 6 month ED visa you are signing up for a 200 hour course over 6 months. Same, same ... as they say in Thailand.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

No ... they are 6 months as opposed to 12 months I believe. The point being that if you want a 6 month ED visa you are signing up for a 200 hour course over 6 months. Same, same ... as they say in Thailand.

I get proposition for example from Thai Solutions as: 

1. A 12 month course : Study 250 hours.
   The tuition fee is 32,000 THB. ( An Education Visa 12 months )
   ( Included Thai Culture and Society )

2. A 12 month course : Study 200 hours.
   The tuition fee is 28,000 THB. ( An Education Visa 12 months )

And truly it all confuses me a lot :)

Edited by Smimth

11 hours ago, Smimth said:

I get proposition for example from Thai Solutions as: 

1. A 12 month course : Study 250 hours.
   The tuition fee is 32,000 THB. ( An Education Visa 12 months )
   ( Included Thai Culture and Society )

2. A 12 month course : Study 200 hours.
   The tuition fee is 28,000 THB. ( An Education Visa 12 months )

And truly it all confuses me a lot :)

You used to be able to get a 12 month visa with a commitment to 2 x 2 hour classes per week, but my understanding is that it was changed to 4 x 2 hour classes per week. Problem with that is that it limits your scope to travel and/or do other activities or work. 

What you have outlined above does not look right?  You could consider doing 6 months of classes, then do a couple of visa hops to stay the remaining 6 months. 

2 hours ago, Kaalle said:

You can do 3 months ED visa as well yes? Just asking...

You get a single entry non-ed visa at an embassy or consulate with paperwork from the school and the MOE that allows a 90 day entry.

Then you extend those 90 days for 90 days at an immigration office. You can get a total stay of one year that includes the original 90 day entry from the visa and three 90 day extensions. After that year you have to go out for a new non-ed visa and start all over again.

Slightly off topic.....I was planning on coming to BKK spending some time in rural areas and beach, then within 30 days going to Vietnam.  My plan was to go to BKK vietnamese Embassy upon arrival to BKK and apply for Vietnam Visa there in BKK.  I am an American so no visa on arrival is available in Vietnam(which sucks).......On a side note, i need a plane ticket to vietnam?  OR should i just take a train as part of my Thailand travels?  

Will Airline let me on plane from California with a round trip ticket spanning 3 mos. considering i will be planning on visa on arrival in Thailand.....?  

So its a two part question i guess....First does it seem like ive covered all bases i mean?

19 minutes ago, Summerviking said:

Slightly off topic.....I was planning on coming to BKK spending some time in rural areas and beach, then within 30 days going to Vietnam.  My plan was to go to BKK vietnamese Embassy upon arrival to BKK and apply for Vietnam Visa there in BKK.  I am an American so no visa on arrival is available in Vietnam(which sucks).......On a side note, i need a plane ticket to vietnam?  OR should i just take a train as part of my Thailand travels?  

Will Airline let me on plane from California with a round trip ticket spanning 3 mos. considering i will be planning on visa on arrival in Thailand.....?  

So its a two part question i guess....First does it seem like ive covered all bases i mean?

A bit more than slightly off topic.

Not sure about the requested info about the visa for Vietnam. That is a question for the Visas and migration to other countries forum. 

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry not a visa on arrival when you enter Thailand.

Without a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival you could be denied boarding your flight. I suggest you get a one way ticket to Vietnam before starting your trip to satisfy the requirement for a ticket out of the country.

3 hours ago, Summerviking said:

When I have visited Vietnam I used an online agency to arrange my visa, which I sorted on arrival. The agency send you a letter that you can present when you land at Saigon or Hanoi, you then complete the form and pay some money and the visa is issued. Use Google.

30 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

Penang. Got the info from Banana, and I have zero reason not to trust them as they always seem to be on top of things. Hard to be sure though.

Some of the agents are able to get 4 or more tourist visas for an extra fee. I suspect that the fee would be the same even if breaking the cycle with a Non 'ED'.

Some of the agents are able to get 4 or more tourist visas for an extra fee. I suspect that the fee would be the same even if breaking the cycle with a Non 'ED'.

I have 5 already and the info i I got was they could get me more after I secured an ED visa for 3 months. If this doesnt work out I will just have to head home for a while.

4 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

I have 5 already and the info i I got was they could get me more after I secured an ED visa for 3 months. If this doesnt work out I will just have to head home for a while.

Fair enough. You could try at another embassy/consulate as most seem to count visas issued by themselves.

Just now, elviajero said:

Fair enough. You could try at another embassy/consulate as most seem to count visas issued by themselves.

Yeah I was thinking about Laos, this would be a cheaper alternative.

If anyone has secured a tourist visa in any of the consulates in Laos after 5 consecutive ones in Penang I would greatly appreciate a heads up.

53 minutes ago, Kaalle said:

Yeah I was thinking about Laos, this would be a cheaper alternative.

If anyone has secured a tourist visa in any of the consulates in Laos after 5 consecutive ones in Penang I would greatly appreciate a heads up.

How much does a Tourist Visa in Penang cost, from your agent, when you already have a stack of them in your passport?

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

How much does a Tourist Visa in Penang cost, from your agent, when you already have a stack of them in your passport?

If I remember correctly the fourth one was 2000 baht extra and the fifth 3000. 

• Like 1