Aussies Win Ashes

BAKABAS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not yet fella, but well on the way

Agreed not yet . You Australian's are so premature (at least according to the bar girls of my aquaintance :D )

That said today was a real class act. Cricket of the highest quality so well done Australia. Shane is the most awesome cricketer - best I've ever seen.

As for England surely now it is time for Monty? If Giles had caught Ponting in the first innings we would have won that. :o

Edited by miltonbentley

Embarrassed to be English this morning. Totally the wrong attitude by our team. You cannot play like that against Warne. If it was Flintoff's decision to not go for runs & play defensively, he should step down as captain. If it was from higher up, then the axe should be swung & heads should roll.

Embarrassed to be English this morning. Totally the wrong attitude by our team. You cannot play like that against Warne. If it was Flintoff's decision to not go for runs & play defensively, he should step down as captain. If it was from higher up, then the axe should be swung & heads should roll.

England were PATHETIC!Yhey could,nt beat Ireland after that gutless display!! :o

Justice at last. After the poms :o bent the rules to suit last year to steal the Ashes from Australia it's great to see the Urn on it's way back to the rightful owners.

I think it was Brett Lee, or was it Glenn McGrath who predicted a 5-0 clean sweep.

Gloat, gloat, gloat......... :D

not yet fella, but well on the way

Agreed not yet . You Australian's are so premature (at least according to the bar girls of my aquaintance :D )

That said today was a real class act. Cricket of the highest quality so well done Australia. Shane is the most awesome cricketer - best I've ever seen.

As for England surely now it is time for Monty? If Giles had caught Ponting in the first innings we would have won that. :o

I agree that it's not over yet however it's not looking very good for you guys.

They have to give Monty a chance with the ball but again one man cannot be expected to turn things around on his own.

England might be looking fo a new cricket coach as well as a replacement for Robinson.

If the (when the) Australians take it to 3-0 can you get a refund from UBC ? :D

I agree that it's not over yet however it's not looking very good for you guys.

You understate things nicely JBG :D

It looks like Fletcher is out the door after the series and his replacement is widely tipped to be Aussie Darren Lehmann, a choice said to be very popular with the players.

If the (when the) Australians take it to 3-0 can you get a refund from UBC ?

Having watched English cricket fanatically for 30 years I am very used to watching them play out dead rubbers once we have lost the series. :D

Given the dearth of cricket coverage in Thailand I will continue to watch especially if the cricket is of a high quality.

Monty's the man he'll turn the seties around if given the chance. :o

I think that they are after blood.....

From this mornings Sydney Morning Herald

Former England captains vent anger

December 6, 2006 - 2:39PM

Botham led impassioned calls from former England captains demanding coach Duncan Fletcher wield the axe for next week's third Test before the Ashes are lost.

Major selection blunders and an inability to handle Australian master spinner Shane Warne were blamed for England's astonishing capitulation in the second Ashes Test in Adelaide.

Several former England skippers questioned coach Duncan Fletcher's team selections, asking why Monty Panesar, whom Fletcher hailed as the best finger spinner in the world earlier this year, was sitting on the sidelines after being left out of the first two Ashes Tests.

"Is Monty Panesar here or has he gone home?" a perplexed Botham said after Australia took a 2-0 lead in the five-game series with a spectacular six-wicket win in Adelaide.

"I am totally confused. I was confused at the start of the series and I am even more confused now.

"I am not taking anything away from Australia, they have been magnificent, but we have two players who have hardly played any cricket in a year - Jimmy Anderson and Ashley Giles - two key bowlers."

Alec Stewart, who captained England in Australia in 1997-98, also slammed England's under-performing bowling attack.

"Flintoff and [Matthew] Hoggard have caused Australia problems but Steve Harmison has taken one wicket in two Tests while both Giles and Anderson have struggled.

"We are not looking like taking 20 wickets. That is my biggest issue. Harmison has improved slightly but he has only taken one wicket in the series."

A downcast Geoffrey Boycott, who feared Australia could now "bury" England over the remainder of the series, called on skipper Andrew Flintoff and wicket-keeper Geraint Jones to start contributing with the bat.

"The batsmen are making too many mistakes. You can't keep depending on Paul Collingwood, Kevin Pietersen and Ian Bell. Andrew Flintoff and Geraint Jones are not making enough runs," said the former opener and BBC commentator.

"I personally don't think they can pick themselves up. Australia are cock-a-hoop ... there's a danger they will bury England.

"I think the England squad is a pretty decent set of lads, but stop talking a good game and start performing a good game.

"It is as simple as that. Don't tell us you will come back, just do it. But at the moment I don't think they are capable of it."

Nasser Hussain said Fletcher's selections had let England down.

"He will come under the immense pressure in the next week or so," Hussain said.

"His selections have let him down and let England down in Giles and Jones. There have been no runs and no wickets and Giles dropped a crucial catch [when Australia captain Ricky Ponting was on 35 before making 142 in the first innings].

"The coach has got to get his thinking cap on and work out how to get 20 wickets."

David Gower added: "England will find it very hard to believe there is a way back now. Having been 551 for six declared, a man scoring a double century [Collingwood], another man scoring 158 [Pietersen], a man taking seven wickets [Hoggard] - how they ended up on the losing side is anyone's guess."

Michael Atherton said current captain Flintoff would have learnt a harsh lesson from the defeat.

"For large parts of this game England haven't played badly. It's a great lesson. You can play as well as you like but one bad session can lose you a Test match," he said.

I think that they are after blood

yeah I read similar in a number of places. I have always thought Fletcher was too defensive going into the series. You can't do that against Aus you have to try to match them man to man, to reach the same levels of intensity and we just didn't do that.

I also think we badly miss Vaughn's captaincy. He is a first rate leader and he also likes batting in Australia.

Mai pen rai bring on the next one :o

Justice at last. After the poms :o bent the rules to suit last year to steal the Ashes from Australia it's great to see the Urn on it's way back to the rightful owners.

Typical sore loser aussie. Btw, thought the real urn was going back to it's rightful place in Blighty... well, couldn't leave it with a bunch of bread thieves now could we. :D

Typical sore loser aussie. Btw, thought the real urn was going back to it's rightful place in Blighty... well, couldn't leave it with a bunch of bread thieves now could we. :o

Might be safer for Australia to hang on to the old crockery, given Englands reputation for losing anything and everything...

It'd be such a shame to misplace the urn as well. :D

Something for the poms to think about.....

Q. What do Geraint Jones and Michael Jackson have in common?

A. They both wear gloves for no apparent reason

Q. What is the height of optimism?

A. An English batsman applying sunscreen.

Q. What does Ashley Giles put in his hands to make sure the next ball almost always takes a wicket?

A. A bat.

Q. What would Glen McGrath be if he was an Englishman?

A. An all-rounder.

Q. What advantage do Kevin Pieterson, Andrew Strauss and Geraint Jones have over the rest of their team-mates?

A. At least they can say they're not really English.

Q. What is the English version of a hat-trick?

A. Three runs in three balls.

Q. What do you call an Englishman with 100 runs against his name?

A. A bowler.

Q. What is the most proficient form of footwork displayed by English batsmen?

A. The walk back to the pavilion.

Q. Who has the easiest job in the English squad?

A. The guy who removes the red ball marks from the bats.

Q. Why is Andrew Flintoff the unluckiest English player?

A. Because he was born in England.

Q. What does "Ashes" stand for?

A. Another Sad Horrific English Series.

Q. What's the English version of LBW?

A. Lost, Beaten, Walloped.

Q. Who spends the most time on the crease of anyone in the English team?

A. The person who ironed the cricket whites.

Let the series roll on

Something for the poms to think about.....

Q. What do Geraint Jones and Michael Jackson have in common?

A. They both wear gloves for no apparent reason

Q. What is the height of optimism?

A. An English batsman applying sunscreen.

Q. What does Ashley Giles put in his hands to make sure the next ball almost always takes a wicket?

A. A bat.

Q. What would Glen McGrath be if he was an Englishman?

A. An all-rounder.

Q. What advantage do Kevin Pieterson, Andrew Strauss and Geraint Jones have over the rest of their team-mates?

A. At least they can say they're not really English.

Q. What is the English version of a hat-trick?

A. Three runs in three balls.

Q. What do you call an Englishman with 100 runs against his name?

A. A bowler.

Q. What is the most proficient form of footwork displayed by English batsmen?

A. The walk back to the pavilion.

Q. Who has the easiest job in the English squad?

A. The guy who removes the red ball marks from the bats.

Q. Why is Andrew Flintoff the unluckiest English player?

A. Because he was born in England.

Q. What does "Ashes" stand for?

A. Another Sad Horrific English Series.

Q. What's the English version of LBW?

A. Lost, Beaten, Walloped.

Q. Who spends the most time on the crease of anyone in the English team?

A. The person who ironed the cricket whites.

Let the series roll on

Davidgtr - please stop it !

They're taking a big enough whack as it is ! You're simply CRUEL !!!!!

:D Job done. At least for now.

Why we had to wait to be 2-0 down to play one of our most potent weapons I can't fathom.

Yes, Monty had a good day with the ball, and has demonstrated that he should have been in the team for the first two tests.

England although with 51-2 is not doing a whole lot better.

It's not over till the fat lady sings. :o

Yes, Monty had a good day with the ball, and has demonstrated that he should have been in the team for the first two tests.

It's not over till the fat lady sings. :o

Can't argue that Those were 2 valuable wickets for Australia last night.

I think our overweight female friend was warming up after Adelaide yesterday may just delay her perfomance a little. I very much doubt England could come back from here to draw the series but while the dream is alive . . . . .

It's not over till the fat lady sings. :D

I think our overweight female friend was warming up after Adelaide yesterday may just delay her perfomance a little. I very much doubt England could come back from here to draw the series but while the dream is alive . . . . .

Dream on mate...................

:D:o:D

Australian captain Ricky Ponting is looking to bat his way to the Ashes on the third day of the third Test at the WACA ground.

Australia resumes its second innings on 1-119, with Ponting and Matthew Hayden both 57 not out after Justin Langer was bowled by the first ball of the innings.

Hayden's fist pump as he and his skipper ran from the field after sharing an unbroken century stand showed Australia's determination to finish the job.

Australia has an overall lead of 148 with nine wickets in hand and is poised to complete a 3-0 series victory to regain the Ashes.

Ponting has passed the 500-run mark before the halfway point of the series and is looking to set England a target of at least 300 in the fourth innings.

Fine hot weather with temperatures up to 36 degrees are forecast for the weekend.

On Friday England was bowled out for 215, with only a belligerent 70 from Kevin Pietersen rescuing the tourists from a rout.

Stuart Clark continued to be the lead bowler for Australia with 3-49, taking his series haul to 16.

:D:o:D

Australian captain Ricky Ponting is looking to bat his way to the Ashes on the third day of the third Test at the WACA ground.

Australia resumes its second innings on 1-119, with Ponting and Matthew Hayden both 57 not out after Justin Langer was bowled by the first ball of the innings.

Hayden's fist pump as he and his skipper ran from the field after sharing an unbroken century stand showed Australia's determination to finish the job.

Australia has an overall lead of 148 with nine wickets in hand and is poised to complete a 3-0 series victory to regain the Ashes.

Ponting has passed the 500-run mark before the halfway point of the series and is looking to set England a target of at least 300 in the fourth innings.

Fine hot weather with temperatures up to 36 degrees are forecast for the weekend.

On Friday England was bowled out for 215, with only a belligerent 70 from Kevin Pietersen rescuing the tourists from a rout.

Stuart Clark continued to be the lead bowler for Australia with 3-49, taking his series haul to 16.

It's not looking too good Milt.

I think that the fat lady is tuning (and probably lubricating) her vocal chords.

:D:D:D

I think that the fat lady is tuning (and probably lubricating) her vocal chords.

Is she having a celebratory drink already ? :o

Oh sh*t

lalalalala lalalalalalalalalala

Fat cow in full voice

Well played Aussies

You Know Milty Babe...Pity the two and Froms didnt win the third test..

Might have got people to watch the rest of the punishment.. :o:D

I've been watching English cricket for 30 years I'm quite a glutton for it. Bring it all on. Fabulous innings by Gilly

I like a man that understates things :o

Yes I reckon by the end of the day you'll have the urn back and fully deserved too.

One giant mama lady ready to burst forth. . . . .

If you thought that was an understatement how would you rate Fletchers.....

Coach Duncan Fletcher is still hoping that England can attain the mammoth 557 needed to win the third Ashes Test.

You always need to be positive BUT!!, optimism must be tempered with realism.

OK he just said it to "gee" the boys up.

Edited by john b good

Coach Duncan Fletcher is still hoping that England can attain the mammoth 557 needed to win the third Ashes Test.

You always need to be positive BUT!!, optimism must be tempered with realism.

Well he had to say it but not a cat in hel_l's chance. There has been nothing in this series to suggest that England could either reach such an enormous total or bat out the 2 days.

I just read that the declaration was a mistake. Ponting wanted to continue but the signals between the dressing room and the crease got confused and the batsmen came in. Not that it matters.

I suspect the Aussie will wrap it up today perhaps with a little token resistance from Pieterson.

This England team has been very different to the one that won last year. That team played with a real comptitive fire which I think can be put down to Vaughan's captaincy and Freddie being at his peak. This series Fred has been below his best and with the extra burden of captaincy has been a shadow of himself.

England's lack of competitiveness and early capitulation has made for a disappointing series by comparison with last year but I am sure you Aussie will be relishing some great performances from some of your boys.

Obviously last summer hurt a lot but it a sign of a great team to return from a setback. Perhaps this series will be the swansong for this team before some of your older boys retire. :o

From todays SMH.....

Ashes redemption: the urn's ours

Shane Warne takes the wicket of Monty Panesar to secure victory at the WACA and the return of the Ashes to Australia.

The Tonk: Satisfied with a clean sweep?

Jubilant Australians reclaim Ashes

McGrath's blitz breaks English grit

A partnership made for the future

English papers go in for the kill

How England got it wrong

A day to remember for Hussey

Gilly was focused on survival, not Viv

Australia has reclaimed the Ashes after England held the precious urn for a mere 15 months - the shortest tenure in Ashes history.

Shane Warne claimed the wicket of Monty Panesar for 1 with his second ball of the first over after lunch to complete a comprehensive series victory for Australia.

Kevin Pietersen, the best of the English batsmen on tour, had run out of partners on 60 after another substantial knock.

The wicket saw Australia to a 206-run victory in the third Ashes Test at the WACA in Perth, and an unassailable 3-0 series lead.

Scenes of jubilation followed the magic series winning wicket - Warne's 699th in Tests - as the Australians ran a lap of honour around the WACA ground, pumping fists and even wiping the odd tear.

"It's bloody fantastic," said Warne to Channel Nine interviewer and former Test cricketer Mark Taylor.

"Australia, you bloody bewdy," chimed in Australian opener Matthew Hayden.

Australia went to lunch one wicket away from victory.

England's Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff took up the attack this morning but Australia took four wickets in 33 balls to all but seal the result.

The brilliance of Warne and Ricky Ponting turned the day on its after England's bright start.

Warne bowled Flintoff for 51 to douse any dreams England had of pulling off Test cricket's most audacious run-chase, and then a sharp piece of Ponting fielding sent a dagger through the tourists' aims of saving the match.

The Australian captain ran out Geraint Jones when he flicked the ball on to the stumps after the England wicketkeeper carelessly failed to put his foot behind the batting crease after missing an attempted sweep shot.

Jones' duck was his fourth in as many innings this tour and his second of the match.

Warne and Stuart Clark then removed tailenders Sajid Mahmood and Steve Harmison, but No.11 Monty Panesar at least delayed Australia's celebrations by holding on over the last two overs of the session.

Pietersen was 59 not out.

Warne's 3-114 gave him 698 career wickets, which means he won't get a chance to take his 700th career wicket until the fourth Test in his home town of Melbourne, by which stage Australia will have the Ashes in its keeping.

Just as Glenn McGrath did late on day four, when he took two wickets in three balls to dash any realistic hopes England had of saving the match, Australia's key players rose when they needed to.

Flintoff and Kevin Pietersen had added 71 runs today as England chased 557.

But Warne fired a leg break into the block hole and Flintoff was bowled comprehensively after playing all over the delivery.

Two overs later Ponting was too alert for Jones and flicked down the stumps from his position at bat pad while Jones was still on one knee after trying to sweep Warne.

Australia went from going on the defensive early in the session to chasing victory before lunch, when Mahmood and Harmison were both trapped in front.

end of article.....

Milton you have been a gracious combatant, but it just hasn't worked out this time around.

If all "poms" were like you, it would, in the words of Louis Armstrong "what a wonderful world it would be" :o

Edited by john b good