15 southern provinces warned of flashfloods, mudslides at weekend

rooster59

15 southern provinces warned of flashfloods, mudslides at weekend

71_Flood.jpg

The National Disaster Warning Centre yesterday warned 15 provinces in the South of flashfloods, floods, and mudslides as  increasing rainstorms are expected in the next few days.

Most worried is Songkhla province as over 200 millimetres of rains was recorded yesterday while scattered rains continued today.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/15-southern-provinces-warned-of-flashfloods-mudslides-at-weekend/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-03

I think it would be nice if some people weighted in on the flooding situation in their locales. I will start.

Here in Ranode (aka Ranot), the northernmost district of Songkhla, most homes are now accessible by wading through waist-deep water.

We had a few rays of sunshine this morning, but the skies are clouding up once again. For some reason the TMD's weather radar at Sathingpra (also inundated, relatives say) has moved to a new Internet location.

The floodwater here reached a high on Monday night, then receded somewhat yesterday despite continued rainfall.

There are Navy people and tessaban people in downtown Ranode distributing basic supplies like instant noodles, canned fish and drinking water.

In my neighborhood there are kids playing in the floodwater, which now forms a continuous body with the local sewer system. There are obvious risks of infectious disease if the waters remain this high. All the schools here have been closed until further notice, including my own.

The Wednesday Market held weekly at the downtown temple here has been mostly cancelled, but there are a few people selling stuff at a market near the four-way intersection where the Bangkok Bank is.

Perhaps surprisingly we have had no power supply interruptions except for about five minutes this morning. I am knocking on wood as I say that.

Anyway, that is my report and look forward to hearing yours.

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

Hat Yai's relief canal system did their job, no flooding in Hat Yai.

That's good to know. I recall very well the inundation back in 2001 (I think it was) that set that off.

Have you seen the new underpass near Haad Yai Hospital? I saw a report that it has opened...It will be nice to get a new way to go between Haad Yai Nai and Haad Yai proper.

19 hours ago, phuketsub said:

That's good to know. I recall very well the inundation back in 2001 (I think it was) that set that off.

Have you seen the new underpass near Haad Yai Hospital? I saw a report that it has opened...It will be nice to get a new way to go between Haad Yai Nai and Haad Yai proper.

Yes, after the floods in 2000 they started on the relief canals. You can follow the progress, and then lack thereof on Google Earth with the time slider. The earliest images from 2004 show the project started but then it's held up, particularly the western relief canal near Bang Klam near to Lake Songkhla; I was told a land dispute. It wasn't until after the big flood in 2010, when we had the River Utapho running through the house, that the land dispute was settled and the canal completed in 2014.

The underpass on Nipatsongkrew Soi 7 isn't completed yet as far as I know, you can see progress as of July in Street View below.

2016-12-08 08_39_26-Google Earth Pro.jpg

Archived