Bumrungrad is Thainess personified

elgenon

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, dotpoom said:
18 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

My only question is...what is Bumrungrad?....are we all supposed to know?

My only question is...what is Bumrungrad?....are we all supposed to know?

Yes, I think we are but 'Bumrungrad' should have been followed by 'Hospital' and to my mind the topic should have read, 'Bumrungrad hospital is the embodiment of Thainess'.

Interesting - I too use  Bumrungrad and noticed an ear infection a day or two after returning from the Philippines. If untreated you can have a perforated eardrum, I was there the first day it flared up. It took antibiotics to shift the infection and ear infections are notoriously difficult to treat with many antibiotics becoming useless. I looked up the one prescribed and there is no current resistance to this type of antibiotic. Not only that but both ears were checked and I could see one ear clear on the left hand 42 inch flat screen TV, turning over the other showed the outer ear infection clearly of the right hand 42 inch flat screen display. An initial micro surgery cleaning alleviated the immediate pain and a seven day course of antibiotics was prescribed. And it took five days for the temperature to go away.

If a barber can prescribe antibiotics then you have the wrong barber! I have had my ears cleaned by a barber in Bangkok before. Yes it is quite effective and a tuning fork is put into your ear at the end, and struck - Cleaning does involve inserting sharp instruments, standard ear cleaners (cotton buds) and an ear wax removing solution - not for the fainthearted.

Don't mess with your health...

Edited by pkrv

For 3+ years, I thought I was getting excellent care.  I wasn't.  

Question for the other guys who think they are:  How do you know? (Edit:  I don't mean that in a sarcastic way)

Get a second opinion.  It may confirm that you're getting great care, or it may save your life.  I hope it's the former.

Edited by impulse

On 03/12/2016 at 0:39 PM, Dexlowe said:

Then reality strikes.

The bill arrives.

Aaaarghhhh -- I'm having a heart attack.....

That's what Insurance is for......

I was an inpatient in Bumrumgrad twice, excellent treatment and service but far to many unnecessary tests to bump up the bill.

2 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Then the bill gave you a heart attack.

To be honest no! I had cardiac angioplasty there eight years ago and the bill was 176k baht, about half the price The Spire Group in the UK wanted and that didn't include airfare.

I've had both good and bad experiences at Bumrungrad over the past 15 years.  Its prices have gone up quite a bit.  I like my cardiologist  but I will never use their dermatology or dental clinics again.   Experience varies according to the day and the clinical staff.   I think that it's good to consult Sheryl and choose your doctor in advance.   There are incompetent and money-grubbing doctors around.  Also,  personally,  I would never have dental work done in Thailand if I could avoid it.   I avoided numerous implants and bone grafting at a cost of $20,000 by having my teeth fixed and a five-tooth bridge (which Thai dentists had said wasn't possible) installed in Tokyo for a cost of $1,850.  All of the teeth that they had said needed to extracted were saved.   Also saved was more than $18,000 which is now paying for this year's winter vacation in Bangkok! 

21 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

50 baht at most barber shops

my barber shop is run by couple Thai women. one does nails and the other hair. the one who does pedicure is an absolute expert. 300 Baht and in the 10 years I have been going, never had a bad one or infection or anything except great quality attention. She removes corns like a surgeon. And laughing and joking with me and her colleague throughout. They used to serve me a beer, when I liked that sort of thing. I gave them left over English magazines and they loved it. 

That is Thainess as well. 

Bumrungrad is what the OP says, but it is also extremely over priced and the level of care of the doctor experts is less than stellar. They have miss diagnosed so many issues with me and others over the years that I have come to know them as less than first choice. 

When you want a doctor, you want only the best. Bumrungrad is supposed to be that one but they are not. In reality, the truth is it is all about the doctor, not where you go to find them. So, I am sure there are excellent doctors at Brungrad but there are too many crap ones for it to be nearly worth the prices. 

I have had that warm and fuzzy feeling and hand holding at Paolo memorial from expert nurses doctors, and Chula as well. More often than not, it is the teaching hospitals that have the better doctors and in Thailand they always have the most modern equipment, comparable to Bumrungrad or Samitivej (Dusit Group). 

Bottom line, if possible, do your homework to find the best doctor for your needs. 

Not all that glisters is golden. Some years ago I underwent an operation at Bumrungrad to remove a nasal polyp and vowed never to return. The bill was excruciating enough (mercifully, I had medical insurance) but the post-operative pain even worse.

It turned out that between them the surgeon and his coterie of eye-candy assistants had  conspired to leave swab behind to fester. Cleaning up the resultant mess involved two lengthy and extremely unpleasant follow-up sessions - and I have suffered chronic sinus problems ever since.

I might well have sued for damages had I been less familiar with the vagaries of the Thai legal system and its defamation laws which tip the balance against complaining consumers. So I did what most Thais routinely do when faced with poor service and voted with my feet.

In my opinion Bamrungrad is probably the best hospital in S.E. Asia in all respects, especially the logistics. You are waiting there and a nurse will come up and say "Excuse me Mr Bloggs, there are 2 people ahead of you and the wait will be around 15 minutes". Also I have found that the best medical help also usually turns out to be the cheapest in the long run. Get it done right the first time ! How many times have you heard of a friend who goes to the cheapest place, who then gets totally mistreated, and then they actually go back to the same surgeon who butchered them and pay lots more to undo the damage they caused in the first place ! 

25 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

In my opinion Bamrungrad is probably the best hospital in S.E. Asia in all respects, especially the logistics. You are waiting there and a nurse will come up and say "Excuse me Mr Bloggs, there are 2 people ahead of you and the wait will be around 15 minutes". Also I have found that the best medical help also usually turns out to be the cheapest in the long run. Get it done right the first time ! How many times have you heard of a friend who goes to the cheapest place, who then gets totally mistreated, and then they actually go back to the same surgeon who butchered them and pay lots more to undo the damage they caused in the first place ! 

I don't care how many "Mr. Bloggs" there are in the queue. I just want a correct diagnosis. I didn't get that at Bumrungrad and had to pay hugely for it. If you read through this topic you will find many others got the same. Medicine in Thailand is an industry out to make the biggest profits they can.

On 12/3/2016 at 0:33 PM, chiang mai said:

I once had an FNA at Bumrungrad, this is where you lay flat on a table, tilt your head back and somebody inserts a needs into your thyroid gland in your neck - it sounds ghastly but it's a breeze and quite painless. For that procedure, which took all of two minutes to perform, five nurses/nurse assistants in blue gowns came in and stood either side of me and two of them held one of my hands each, not as if to restrain me but almost affectionately, as if to say, it's OK, we're here and we'll take care. It was quite the experience and comes highly recommended.

Yes I do understand very well what the OP means.

i bet they took care of you just as good when it was time for the check bin:sad:

I thought Thainess was something more like cutting across traffic without signalling while turning into the temple to make merit? Or waiing the traffic cop just after he has relieved you of some red ones for bugger all? Or the locals plonking their junk on the counter in front of you at the 7-eleven check out?

Happened to me recently, plonked mine alongside there's and walked out.

Sent from my iris 755 using Tapatalk

I once had an FNA at Bumrungrad, this is where you lay flat on a table, tilt your head back and somebody inserts a needs into your thyroid gland in your neck - it sounds ghastly but it's a breeze and quite painless. For that procedure, which took all of two minutes to perform, five nurses/nurse assistants in blue gowns came in and stood either side of me and two of them held one of my hands each, not as if to restrain me but almost affectionately, as if to say, it's OK, we're here and we'll take care. It was quite the experience and comes highly recommended.

Yes I do understand very well what the OP means.

Me too
Much to my expense

Love ain't cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

You should try National University Hospital in Singapore, it's Bumrungrad on steroids - that's my choice for anything serious health wise.

Had surgery there. Can't fault the surgeon, procedure or after care. It wasn't cheap but thankfully I had insurance. Still top of my list for any inpatient procedure. Don't opt for outpatient insurance (to keep premiums down) so I go to sukhumvit hospital for that which is relatively inexpensive and next to BTS Ekamai

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The doctor charge for my outpatient visit was $30. In America it would be over a hundred. The antibiotics were about a quarter of the price.

Yes, you expect good care in a hospital but this is more. It is caring and kindness and patience and sweetness. If you haven't experienced it you don't know what I am talking about.

I actually initially did not comment on the abilities or the cost but on the feeling. But I was just a quick outpatient. And in my 2 experiences MY idea of Thainess was experienced. Your mileage may vary. This is just a personal experience I wanted to share.

I have had prompt and pleasant care at Bumrungrad and care that was neither prompt nor pleasant.  I think that they try for the former and it is best for one's  peace of mind to focus on that but not expect it every time.  You will need a reservoir of patience when the nurse loses your papers and the doctor shows up at the hospital ninety minutes late and that does happen.  Then it's not so pleasant to pay the high fees.

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I thought Thainess was something more like cutting across traffic without signalling while turning into the temple to make merit? Or waiing the traffic cop just after he has relieved you of some red ones for bugger all? Or the locals plonking their junk on the counter in front of you at the 7-eleven check out?

+yes this is definitely true

did you pay Thai or Farang prices?

Insurance or no insurance prices?

Were the numerous readily available dressings and medicines provided less than 3 times the cost in a less captive market, such as the nearest pharmacy.

Yes, I agree, the quintessence of thainess - actually the sacred baht expresses that quite well.

Edited by eddie61

I had a terrible experience here.

Saw Doctor for inability to swallow down food - endoscopy.
all okayand take these tablets - no need for anything further.
all rushed.
Home and google. Tablets for anxiety. Threw them away.
Next month returned to UK. Doc there recommended Gastroscopy asap.
Diagnosed with Barratts (pre cancer condition). on medication for life and annual biopsy required.
Bumrungrad did a pathetic sham investigation with no responsibilty taken.Their Doc just assumed endoscopy ok and that I was anxious- called bolas when I asked. TERRIBLE!!
I will not name doctor, but I have not forgotten!!

I have a question for you.

What were your symptoms?

To have Barret's, you would need to have reflux symptoms for a long time.

9 hours ago, elgenon said:

The doctor charge for my outpatient visit was $30. In America it would be over a hundred. The antibiotics were about a quarter of the price.

Yes, you expect good care in a hospital but this is more. It is caring and kindness and patience and sweetness. If you haven't experienced it you don't know what I am talking about.

The " caring and kindness and patience and sweetness " is just good public relations which any big business trains it's staff about.  They were very sweet to me too while ripping me off and mis-diagnosing my symptoms

6 minutes ago, Trentham said:

The " caring and kindness and patience and sweetness " is just good public relations which any big business trains it's staff about.  They were very sweet to me too while ripping me off and mis-diagnosing my symptoms

Not true!

I'm no longer a big fan of Bumrungrad for reasons I wont go into but their doctors are some of the very best in the country. Most are recruited based on where they obtained their qualifications (Mahidol or Chula preferred) and most have additional overseas training and experience. Just look at the CV's of the staff on their website.

28 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Not true!

I'm no longer a big fan of Bumrungrad for reasons I wont go into but their doctors are some of the very best in the country. Most are recruited based on where they obtained their qualifications (Mahidol or Chula preferred) and most have additional overseas training and experience. Just look at the CV's of the staff on their website.

You've had your experiences.  We've had ours.  Great CV's, friendly staff and great equipment don't mean great care if they miss glaring problems on the diagnosis.  After-care was great.  But I'd have preferred surly nurses and a correct diagnosis.  Surly nurses are forgotten quickly.  The consequences of my experience will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Get a second opinion.

Edit:  I'm not saying don't go to Bumrungrad.  I still go there.  I'm suggesting selecting your doctor there based on referrals from people you trust and not the one who's not too busy to book an appointment.  And if it's a potentially serious condition, get a second look from an independent facility, no matter where you get your care.

Edited by impulse

Just now, impulse said:

You've had your experiences.  We've had ours.  Great CV's, friendly staff and great equipment don't mean great care if they get they miss glaring problems on the diagnosis.  After-care was great.  I'd have preferred surly nurses and a correct diagnosis.

Sorry I should have been more precise, my reply was in response to, "The " caring and kindness and patience and sweetness " is just good public relations", I was not suggesting anything other about your post.

It's perhaps also worth pointing out that doctors do make mistakes and that medical science is not always everything what we think it is, I of all people understand that only too well.

The place is a rip off. I was convinced by a surgeon that I need a operation that cost me hundreds of thousands of Baht and it was a botch up and then found out it was not needed by another surgeon that had to repair the damage. Never go back again.

Had a friend call me last week that had just seen a doctor there for knee pain and they booked him in for a operation for the next day. I told him to cancel which he did and have physiotherapy and called me the knee is much better.