"Best" bank account for foreigner?

Americans need a paper from the US embassy for Bangkok Bank because US tax threats against international banks for alleged cooperation of American tax evasion. Harder for Americans all over the world to open bank accounts outside USA. Thailand is no different. If you are mad at this requirement your anger should be directed at the IRS and USA government and people who opened overseas bank accounts for tax fraud reasons and not Thailand banks.  Personally I pay my taxes and do not mind getting an embassy paper if it helps cut down on people opening secret tax free bank accounts outside the USA. You can complain about everything or enjoy your life but you can't do both. Cheers ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Americans need a paper from the US embassy for Bangkok Bank because US tax threats against international banks for alleged cooperation of American tax evasion. Harder for Americans all over the world to open bank accounts outside USA. Thailand is no different. If you are mad at this requirement your anger should be directed at the IRS and USA government and people who opened overseas bank accounts for tax fraud reasons and not Thailand banks.  Personally I pay my taxes and do not mind getting an embassy paper if it helps cut down on people opening secret tax free bank accounts outside the USA. You can complain about everything or enjoy your life but you can't do both. Cheers ?

Bangkok Bank does not need a letter from the US Embassy  for you to open up an account.  You may have run into a clerk that does not know the rules and thinks that.  So long as your provide them with your US Social Security Number and a copy of your passport face page and visa,  you can open up an account and will be in compliance with US law.  Your only requirement is that if you have over $10,000 US total in any foreign banks during the calendar year you report it to the Department of Treasury  using the FBAR reporting system

15 hours ago, Wake Up said:

I have opened accounts at BBL and other banks and they only required that I complete the US IRS form. No letter from embassy asked for or given. 

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

Bangkok Bank does not need a letter from the US Embassy  for you to open up an account.  You may have run into a clerk that does not know the rules and thinks that.  So long as your provide them with your US Social Security Number and a copy of your passport face page and visa,  you can open up an account and will be in compliance with US law.  Your only requirement is that if you have over $10,000 US total in any foreign banks during the calendar year you report it to the Department of Treasury  using the FBAR reporting system

BKK do request a reference to open an account, whether that be another account holder, a person in authority, or an Embassy letter, so the clerk wasn't totally incorrect, but probably didn't advise of the alternatives.

All you will need to provide
is your passport and one other official identification document – for example,
a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank.

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

On 12/5/2016 at 6:47 PM, sanemax said:

If you withdraw your money over the counter, there is no ATM fees

On 12/5/2016 at 7:59 PM, louse1953 said:

If they let you.

On 12/5/2016 at 8:08 PM, sanemax said:

Yes, some banks do not have the facility to carry this out .

Although every Bangkok Bank that I have tried has been able to do it

Or alternatively do what I do, which is to make an online transfer of the amount I need for cash to the wife's account, and then send her down to the ATM to obtain it!:smile:

Going by what was posted about Bangkok bank's fees in London to transfer funds, costs more than some other UK banks - only advantage is that transfers are quicker. I use Halifax and pay 9.50 pounds a go. Send direct to Kasikorn bank. And of course, send in pounds as exchange rate better in Thailand. 

On 12/5/2016 at 6:07 PM, annoogram said:

wow i havnt moved to thailand yet they seem to put a lot of obstacles in front of you banking visa they dont make it easy for you do they it seems to me you are a second class person.im having second thoughts on moving

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

This TV has some good valuable information from some really good people. Worth reading for sure. 

But it also has a group that worries over everything, debates everything, criticizes everyone, over analyzes everything and some enjoy creating confusion and confrontation. 

Do do not believe for one moment that all of these "problems" are any big deal or the vast majority of complainers would have left for some other place. 

Travel the the world and see for yourself. BKK is one of the easiest, cheapest, safest places on the planet to live. Other parts of Thailand are cheaper. 

Take life one moment at a time and enjoy. Don't let the complainers, the worriers, and the people comfortable with anger affect your peace. 

Worth trying to learn Thai at a reputable school like UTL or Duke or many others. If you decide to move to Spain or whenever try to learn the language. Most locals all over the world will help an expat that tries to speak their language. 

Cheers ✈️