Retiring to Thailand - How to retain address in country I'm a citizen of?

JimmyJ

I opened a Mail Box in the UPS Store in my hometown - still use that as my official address for everything, I let the mail buid up for a month or so then by email send them instructions on where to send it.........small charge for the mailing.  IRS, Social Security Administration, Veterans Affairs etc etc etc has sent me  official correspondence there , anyting registered they immediately let me know.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

It stands for Postal Mail Box

PMB stands for Private Mail Box.  Contrasted to a POB which stands for Post Office Box.

The differences are discussed here:  https://pabrentwood.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/post-office-box-po-box-versus-a-private-mailbox-pmb/

Edited by skatewash
emphasis added

As for the SD DL. Residency in South Dakota can be established by by spending one night every five years in a hotel, DMV will take that hotel receipt and your fine, show that and your passport and you are a South Dakotan, with a gold star DL

Drivers Lic.jpg

The one thing I would add to this topic is the issue with some banks.

I have accounts with etrade, BoA and Ally.

etrade and Ally are fine, but BoA will happily accept my PMB as a mailing address, but still require a physical address. Their system will detect regardless of whether you enter #, Apt, the fact that it is a PMB, and prompt you for a physical address

19 hours ago, 55Jay said:

If I do call (I try not to), it's via Skype, never from a US cell phone or landline of record at the US physical address. 

I've only made Skype calls to others who are on Skype.

Calling an 800 # on a cell or landline phone reveals the caller's phone number, even if the caller's number is blocked from being viewed when calling non-800 numbers.

When buying minutes from Skype and calling a business, what phone # does the business one is calling see?

None?

23 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Unfortunately it's too late, due to the reason I've stated.

CC companies are suddenly recognizing it as a commercial address and want a residential address.

I applied to 2 - one of them wants a utility bill with a residential address, so a friend's address won't work - at least for that company.

Also if I give the other cc company a friend's address and they accept it - every other place has my mail drop address and I'm afraid I'd have to change the address to my friend for all of them - when making the address change if some  companies I now do business with want utility bills also, everything could collapse so I'm sticking with my existing mail address for now.

Incidentally, I have great credit so was shocked when I encountered these recent problems.

Normally no problems getting new credit cards, etc.

Here is your best solution...two US states allow legal residency using a mail forwarding service...South Dakota and Texas. I have used SD for 5 years now and you can get a DL, register to vote,  get credit cards, open brokerage accounts...everything. The forwarder's address is your legal residence! The initial requirement is a one night stay in a local motel and that's it...the following day you get the DL and you are set to go. PM me if you want the names of a few of the forwarders...I've been really happy with the arrangement and service, and no state income tax or corporate tax ?

I use Escapee's in Livingston, TX.  They cater to RV people, but have many overseas customers.  They give you a legal RESIDENTIAL address and have mail forwarding and scanning service available.  They had a court challenge regarding the legality of them providing residential addresses where you can vote, and they won.

I have a TX driver's license and am registered to vote there and in fact have voted there absentee for the last 15 years. 

All my US mail goes there, mail from banks, financial institutions, retirement pension agency, credit cards...everything.  Over the years credit card company representatives have asked me if I live in Thailand and I have always said, "No, I live in Texas, but I travel a lot." 

When I applied for Global Entry, I explained the nature of the address to the interviewer and there was no problem.  I was completely truthful.

Escapees will provide you with a letter saying that you use their service and this has been accepted in lieu of a utility bill.  They have a forum where this type of thing gets discussed.

You need to have every US entity you deal with registered to the same address.  You want your domicile to be in the state of the service you choose.  Mine is Texas.

I think this is by far the best place since they have successfully defended themselves against a court challenge, and that is why I ultimately went with them.

http://www.escapees.com

BTW, as others have said, you don't want to use a friend's address.  A buddy of mine in Texas said I could use his.  I'm glad I didn't as I did not want to burden him with forwarding the mail.  Also, he died a few years ago.

BTW, the local main bank and the Department of Motor Vehicles in Livingston is well aware of Escapees.  There is no problem using that address when getting your DL there or opening a bank account.  No need to try to spin it.

Edited by mesquite

1 hour ago, mpyre said:

Here is your best solution...two US states allow legal residency using a mail forwarding service...South Dakota and Texas. I have used SD for 5 years now and you can get a DL, register to vote,  get credit cards, open brokerage accounts...everything. The forwarder's address is your legal residence! The initial requirement is a one night stay in a local motel and that's it...the following day you get the DL and you are set to go. PM me if you want the names of a few of the forwarders...I've been really happy with the arrangement and service, and no state income tax or corporate tax ?

I think member "Skatewash" is on the same program.  Looked at the site yesterday, I might have a closer look at this.  Once my Mom (In CA) passes away, I'll need to have something in place.   Did you use the "MyDakotaAddress" service, out of Madison, SD?  After the initial fly in to get set up, do you have to return there periodically?  I see the SD license is valid for 6 years. 

22 hours ago, chilli42 said:

I have used a mail forwarding service in the US.  Have done so for years.  Never had the issue you mention. You can also get a SD drivers licence.  Their customers seem to mainly be retirees who live the RV life.  They will screen your mail for "junk" and forward what's left (mail and packages) where ever and when ever you like.  It has been OK for opening bank accounts and brokerage accounts etc.  Can search it up on Google, it's called "Americas Mailbox".  There is an annual fee (depends on the "package" you select) shipping costs are charged to your account.  Five star rating :)

South Dakota has no income tax and is the only state that allows you to declare it as residence without living there. It is the "home" of many snowbirds. You should go there once for a couple of days to get a driver's license which you have to do in person. After that you can renew without being there.

Your link, America's Mailbox, is a physically location and they own a trailer park and a motel. That's how they can give you a real street address. I think it's the best overall solution for long term as I know several people who use them including a couple who own and travel in a motor home and don't have a real address.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I've only made Skype calls to others who are on Skype.

Calling an 800 # on a cell or landline phone reveals the caller's phone number, even if the caller's number is blocked from being viewed when calling non-800 numbers.

When buying minutes from Skype and calling a business, what phone # does the business one is calling see?

None?

Not sure  so  I just called my Thai cell phone from my Skype account, expecting to see "unknown" or "private' on the screen when it rang.  Came up +02-xxx-xxxx. 

45 minutes ago, NeverSure said:

South Dakota has no income tax and is the only state that allows you to declare it as residence without living there. It is the "home" of many snowbirds. You should go there once for a couple of days to get a driver's license which you have to do in person. After that you can renew without being there.

Your link, America's Mailbox, is a physically location and they own a trailer park and a motel. That's how they can give you a real street address. I think it's the best overall solution for long term as I know several people who use them including a couple who own and travel in a motor home and don't have a real address.

I forgot to add that they too scan and email you your mail and send you only things you need to have as you request it. You can change your foreign address as often as you want.

23 hours ago, sledpull said:

USA2ME in Houston is very good! Texas is an income free state also. Using my sister's mailing address prior to USA2ME, the state she lived in wanted me to pay taxes on my retirement income for using her mailing address as a mail forward only!

I too use USA2Me. Being a from Texas, it didn't change all that much. I use this address for all of my banking,  Military Retirement, Social Security , Banks , just about everything. 

I've used Earth Class Mail for 7-8 years. You get a street address, not box. They are in many states. Their service includes opening and scanning the contents of the mail if you want. Most letters that I care about, say a brokerage statement, I don't need the actual original, a scanned copy is fine, then they shred the original after scan. 

The street address is not what gives you away.  Even if  these mail forwarders does give you a street address they have to have a way of identifying what is your mail versus the mail of a hundred other customers

It is that number that they add to the address that gives it away as being a commercial forwarder, even without checking the USPS Database 

BTW, as others have said, you don't want to use a friend's address.  A buddy of mine in Texas said I could use his.  I'm glad I didn't as I did not want to burden him with forwarding the mail.  Also, he died a few years ago.

Forwarding what mail? I can't think of any situation (but there might be one or two.....) where someone with whom you've provided a mailing and a physical address -- would send correspondence to your physical address. In retrospect, I probably should have used my buddy's address in Texas as my physical address -- and not my Thai address. I doubt he would ever get any mail addressed to me -- and if he did, it would be too nitnoy to be a burden. Heck, having said that, I could probably pick any address in Texas, from the phone book, as my physical address. Or, if I'd lived in Texas (or another non income tax state), just use my old address as my physical address. Kosher? Nope. Problematic? Not sure how.

Hmmmm.

On 12/7/2016 at 1:14 AM, JimGant said:

Forwarding what mail? I can't think of any situation (but there might be one or two.....) where someone with whom you've provided a mailing and a physical address -- would send correspondence to your physical address. In retrospect, I probably should have used my buddy's address in Texas as my physical address -- and not my Thai address. I doubt he would ever get any mail addressed to me -- and if he did, it would be too nitnoy to be a burden. Heck, having said that, I could probably pick any address in Texas, from the phone book, as my physical address. Or, if I'd lived in Texas (or another non income tax state), just use my old address as my physical address. Kosher? Nope. Problematic? Not sure how.

Hmmmm.

You can use a physical address you no longer live at, then do a mail forward to the CMRA. As i said previously it's getting harder to 'fool' banks etc using a CMRA, some you can others will detect it and ask you for the physical.

As it happens I'm back in the States and found this letter I got from USPS as part of my forwarding, which explains a little of the process

Change of Address.jpg

• 1 month later...

One or two posters in this thread (or possibly a similar one) mentioned that  they were having a problem being an expat and being able to  continue to use the address they've been using for their US "residence".

Due  to the info posters have given in this thread (thanks to all) I've been applying to credit card companies, banks, and financial exchanges, to stock up on these while I'm still in the US.

I provided them with my legitimate residential address (which I never previously gave out, due to my PMB being accepted everywhere until recently - the databases used by financial entities has updated and the PMB is now recognized as such).

Just to pass this on - out of 2 credit card companies, 2 financial exchanges, and 3 banks, only 1 of the 7 (a bank where I've applied for a checking account)  insisted on sending something to the residential address (although I was told after the 1st 30 days I can change it and have them use my mailing address).

Apparently the others simply check to make sure the residential address given is listed in a database as such and not as a business/commercial address.

The 6 sent credit cards, PIN numbers, etc., to the mailing address with no issues.

Edited by JimmyJ

On 12/6/2016 at 6:09 AM, GinBoy2 said:

As for the SD DL. Residency in South Dakota can be established by by spending one night every five years in a hotel, DMV will take that hotel receipt and your fine, show that and your passport and you are a South Dakotan, with a gold star DL

Drivers Lic.jpg

The only problem is that some state's DMV (e.g., Nevada) will only mail your new driver's license to your home address.  They won't issue it to you on the spot. 

On 12/6/2016 at 5:59 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

I opened a Mail Box in the UPS Store in my hometown - still use that as my official address for everything, I let the mail buid up for a month or so then by email send them instructions on where to send it.........small charge for the mailing.  IRS, Social Security Administration, Veterans Affairs etc etc etc has sent me  official correspondence there , anyting registered they immediately let me know.

Interesting that when I Google Private Mail Box, the first site listed is the UPS Store.  I assume they have one in every state.  Will definitely look into this in my home state.  You haven't had any issues?

On 12/5/2016 at 2:59 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Interesting that when I Google Private Mail Box, the first site listed is the UPS Store.  I assume they have one in every state.  Will definitely look into this in my home state.  You haven't had any issues?

The PMB I referred to is also a UPS store.

For 10 years I've used the address for everything. The only time it was recognized as such was when I tried to apply for Voter Registration, and they caught it because they had made their own list of area mail drops.

I don't know how long it's been since the databases financial institutions use have caught up, but when I tried applying for 2 credit cards a few months ago both companies recognized it as a non-residential address.

They apparently do not run existing accounts thru their database, but new accounts only. At least so far.

I wonder if TunnelRat69 tries using it on a new financial institution if it would still get by.

Unfortunately, it's gotten more difficult protecting privacy.

Edited by JimmyJ

I checked online databases for the remaining independent maildrop addresses in my town - about 5 of them left that are a stand alone business/not part of a chain.

All of them showed up as business addresses.

As I noted above, it appears that is what the financial institutions are interested in determining (business or residential address).

16 hours ago, Berkshire said:

None what-so-ever, when I get my next address they send a package to me at that address, even used the Thai Post Office General Delivery on Sukumvit once, arrived in about ten days......no questions asked, had a 4 TB hard drive in it as well.  UPS Stores are privately owned, provide a lot of services...........Dept of State even sent me my work Passport thru the service and they forwarded it to my home in Vietnam - so far have never lost a thing (knockin on wood):smile:

11 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

The PMB I referred to is also a UPS store.

For 10 years I've used the address for everything. The only time it was recognized as such was when I tried to apply for Voter Registration, and they caught it because they had made their own list of area mail drops.

I don't know how long it's been since the databases financial institutions use have caught up, but when I tried applying for 2 credit cards a few months ago both companies recognized it as a non-residential address.

They apparently do not run existing accounts thru their database, but new accounts only. At least so far.

I wonder if TunnelRat69 tries using it on a new financial institution if it would still get by.

Unfortunately, it's gotten more difficult protecting privacy.

I received my Hilton Honors Amex Card thru the address about two weks ago - they use an address like so:

NAME

XX-XXXX SOMETHING BLVD

UNIT XX-XXX

CITY, STATE, ZIP

The Unit is your box number and qualifies as an address, mimicking an apartment number - voting, banking, Veterans Info, Social Security, Medical institutions etc etc etc use my address and I get  remailed to wherever I am.............has worked for six years now.   Most Financial Institutions and US Government entities will not mail to a PO Box, thus the Unit #.

Just now, TunnelRat69 said:

I received my Hilton Honors Amex Card thru the address about two weks ago - they use an address like so:

NAME

XX-XXXX SOMETHING BLVD

UNIT XX-XXX

CITY, STATE, ZIP

The Unit is your box number and qualifies as an address, mimicking an apartment number - voting, banking, Veterans Info, Social Security, Medical institutions etc etc etc use my address and I get  remailed to wherever I am.............has worked for six years now.   Most Financial Institutions and US Government entities will not mail to a PO Box, thus the Unit #.

@ Ginboy & Berkshire  -  Forgot to add, got my Hawaiian Drivers License thru this adress as well , so far so good for me, no issues.

On 12/5/2016 at 11:37 AM, 12DrinkMore said:

they can access your NHS and passport records online instantaneously, I have just gone through the process but held off pulling the trigger.

Sounds like you have direct experience of DVLC accessing NHS and passport records instantly? I'd be grateful if you could expand on this.

If DVLC can do it, then presumably HMRC and DWP can do it too.

Also can't help but be curious as to what you mean by "but held off pulling the trigger"?

Cheers.