Fishing (Not in fishing parks)

JAFO

Anybody up North fishing wild, meaning in rivers or lakes? Looking to find some local places.  I have fished a few lakes in Phetchaburi and out in Korat.  Looking to find places up North   

I tried 1 fishing park and can't do it. I like lure and plug fishing and can't do the big bread ball on a hook and wait. LOL. Its to canned and predictable and many of the "Trophy" fish are not native to Thailand. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Have you looked at BKK Hooker site on Youtube and other social media? 

He gets around, and speaks perfect English.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BangkokhookerFishing/featured

I'm screwing up the motivation to go down to Lam Takong and/or Sap Pradu reservoirs and try cracking the code there.....

living in korat and having stopped many times overlooking Lam takong i would have loved to fish it,sadly my fishing days are over.

the size of it should hold some good fish,i did see a boat come alongside one the the eateries with some BIG FISH in it but no rods.

I'm still confused by all the bodies of water, and that there are not that many people fishing at places that appear idyllic.  I would think there would be many given how many I see at fishing parks.  When I think I've found a "hidden" treasure, I drag the wife out and more often than not, she'll point out a sign in Thai - no fishing.    I'm also never sure what's private land, don't want to trespass on someone's patch.  I've got awesome "bassy" looking water near my house but they are adjacent Wats - verboten.

I also "feel" like if there are no Thais fishing, then they know something I don't, up to and including that whatever fish may have been there, have already been netted out and consumed.... so nobody wastes their time when there's little to no potential return on effort.  And then the guys netting out minnows, frogs and any other living thing from roadside klongs..... as the cynical saying goes, anything that crawls, slithers, walks, swims or flies, gets eaten.   

The most enjoyable, non-park fishing I've done here so far was in Kanchanaburi, from a kayak going down the river a couple times - but that's a 4 hour drive one-way from where I live.   Very nice environment though, virtually nobody else on the river, and I caught some small Hampla Barb on a trolled Rapalla.  I asked the Irishman who runs the kayak outfit and he said quite simply that Thais in general, don't view or use the water the same way "we" do.  When I see a lazy river, my first thought is getting out on the water to fish.  Thais see a rental party boat with 50 people on board, loads of food, disco lights and music played at ear-shattering volume. :saai:   

So, I just bide my time for the most part, and when I go back to the US, I'm out on the water in the bay or off the coast 3 to 4 times a week the whole time I'm there. 

20140722_091118.jpg

Archived