West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

Metal detectors outside the turnstiles again I think..

Why's that then ? To see if any failed hoolies of the Ice Cream Fellowship days have anything concealed in their zimmer frames. Or our friends from across the river have any crystalised mothballs in their aged donkey jackets :)

Actually HH, it's not as " ancient " as you're making it out to be, completely the opposite in fact..

I'm just praying that we beat them as i will get no end of stick if we don't.. :D

Why's that then ? To see if any failed hoolies of the Ice Cream Fellowship days have anything concealed in their zimmer frames. Or our friends from across the river have any crystalised mothballs in their aged donkey jackets :)

Actually HH, it's not as " ancient " as you're making it out to be, completely the opposite in fact..

I was around in those days ... remember. And I can tell you that those who were involved are no generally in their forties and older in some cases. As for any minor fisticuffs by a few morons nowadays, it's not even on a scale worthy of being reported by the media. If you don't think that I'm right, post on either KUMB or one of the other websites saying what you did (above) and see the reaction. :D

I was around in those days ... remember. And I can tell you that those who were involved are no generally in their forties and older in some cases. As for any minor fisticuffs by a few morons nowadays, it's not even on a scale worthy of being reported by the media. If you don't think that I'm right, post on either KUMB or one of the other websites saying what you did (above) and see the reaction. :D

HH, i didn't say it was as common as it was in the 70's or 80's but it certainly isn't as outdated or as ancient as what you're making it out to be..

I went Home & Away up until 2003 remember..:D

Not digging you out at all but when was the last time you went regualry, more than 15 Games in one Season for arguments sakes ??

HH, i didn't say it was as common as it was in the 70's or 80's but it certainly isn't as outdated or as ancient as what you're making it out to be..

I went Home & Away up until 2003 remember..:)

Not digging you out at all but when was the last time you went regualry, more than 15 Games in one Season for arguments sakes ??

A few seasons ago. I finally gave up the ghost over the Curbishley affair, for which I blame the regime, the fans and the media in that order. To be honest Singers, my first love is cricket nowadays and when I go to watch football it's over Colchester -- which is more palatable and much less arrogant to my mind. But I obviously still follow events at West Ham closely, as that formerly took a huge chunk of my life.

I went Home & Away up until 2003 remember.. :)

A few seasons ago. I finally gave up the ghost over the Curbishley affair, for which I blame the regime, the fans and the media in that order. To be honest Singers, my first love is cricket nowadays and when I go to watch football it's over Colchester -- which is more palatable and much less arrogant to my mind. But I obviously still follow events at West Ham closely, as that formerly took a huge chunk of my life.

Cool, the Team who i have a soft spot for ( the O's ) had a good win at Layer Road the other night in the Cup, a Carrow Road hangover for ColU probably.. :D

I went Home & Away up until 2003 remember.. :)

Cool, the Team who i have a soft spot for ( the O's ) had a good win at Layer Road the other night in the Cup, a Carrow Road hangover for ColU probably.. :D

I was there, mate. O's scored from a couple of incisive moves and looked quite impressive overall I thought. Although the U's had a lot of possession they couldn't make it count, but did have a couple of near misses. But the basic shape is there. Orient's defence coped well I thought from the inevitable pressure just after half time and towards the end. I'm not sure about this, as the U's team have changed so much since last season, but one of the stewards reckons that Lambert had made five changes from the game at Norwich ? But anyway, Leyton Orient have a Cup hoodoo over the U's , they beat us by the same score in the FA Cup last season.

Still, it'd have been nice to take on Stoke at home.

Kovac interviewed by Czech press: http://deniksport.blesk.cz/clanek/fotba ... -uzit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KOVAC: I WANT TO ENJOY IT NOW

Your return back to West Ham was complicated. How did you get on with this?

"I really wished to return very much, despite haveng another offers. I was aware of the West Ham have troubles, regarding the money they have to pay for Tevez (Tevezgate) and I expected, that it (my transfer) will be very difficult. Therefore I am very glad, that it ended well. To wit, West Ham wanted only to prolonge the loan for another year first.......

And you did not want into it?

„I was not eager tbh. I wished full contract, as loan would not solve anything for me. We agreed on three years contract on the end and I can only repeat, that I am very glad for it. I go somewhere, where I know that manager and director wants me a and I have already been there for 4 months. It makes everything will be much more simple for me."

Did you have to make any concessions, to find a compromisse with West Ham, so they agreed to pay the money required?

No. They said, that they were ready to pay 500.000 EUR for one year loan, but I did not agree - it was not acceptable for me. I wanted full contract. I will be 30 soon.

Did the experience of four months in the club play a role?

„100%. And it is also London. Everything spoke for West Ham.“

The other offers reportedly were from Hull and Fenerbahce. How tempting were these for you?

„I had two concrete offer. Hull and West Ham. Although I was not dealing with anyone else than West Ham, I only knew that Hull manager Phil Brown was interested. I decided for West Ham though."

"Have you been speaking with Gianfranco Zola during the dealings?"

„No, just with the director and with Ludo Miklosko. He told me, that coaches (meant Gianfranco and Clarkey) would like me in the team and that they keep the shirt with my number for me, as they belived in my return. It was very possitive for me and was keeping me in faith."

Will you return to the previous house?

„I had beutiful one, but small apartment, but I want Klarka (wife) with our small boy to join me this time, so I will most probably find some house for us.“

How much satisfied you were with the possition you earned during spring in the club?

„Maximally. I came without preparation (preseason) and was not playing in first two games. But I've played in all the games, except three when I had a knee injured, since. I think that I was improving every single game. And the fact, that they bought me confirms, that my possition in the club has been good."

You scored one goal for West Ham with beautifull long range shot. How many goals would you like to score this time?„I had a quite interesting bonus for scoring 5 goals in the contract. If I managed reach this, it would be fantastic.“

How realistic target is it?

„There are a lot of games during the season, so it is realistic. If I was part of set pieces, I could manage to do it. I remember, that I scored five goals also in my first season in Spartak Moscow. But it will not be easy, for sure. Will see."

Do you have any other targets for comming season?„I would like to play as much as possible and mainly, I need to be healthy. And I want to enjoy it."

What is your oppinion on the Premiership after four months in it?

„The football here is very demanding. It is more difficult for me to play away at places like Blackburn or Wigan to be honest, because when you go there, or for example to Stoke or Hull, it is very tough there. In any case, the league is very competitive. Of cause you can not count ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal into it. These are top clubs. But everyone can realy beat anyone. I think that also this season will be competitive as was the last one."

Even Arsenal have been having problems away to Blackburn, Hull and similar hard-fighting teams. Why do you think is it so unpleasant there?

„You play against very physical players there. They of course play football, but often play only long balls and the combats are very hard. It is pretty tough there.

What are West Ham ambitions fro this season?

„If we finished up to the tenth place, it would be a good success. I think that club would be satisfied with such an achievment. I do not know about concrete ambitions yet though."

And there worries regarding the bad financial situation of the club, which is not good?

„I am not afraid. Money are on our accounts on time, sometimes even in advance. It would be bad if the situation went worse, so that it would be necessarry to sell leaders as are Scott Parker, Matthew Upson or Robert Green. It would be realy very bad."

Who is your personal favourite for the title?

„Most probably again the top four of Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. Manchester City will definitely want to join them. Also Everton have very good team. T*ttenham too (oh my god icon_lol.gif ). But I expect Manchester United and Chelsea on the very top."

If you had to bet on one of them?

„I would go with ManU, although I would like Petr Cech to win it. I think they will cope with the sell of Ronaldo, despite the fact, that he was realy amazing last two seasons and scored over 50 goals."

Who will replace him?

„It is difficult to say, but I saw the last game against Chelsea and Nani was very good. Of couse nobody knows if he manages to keep the form for the whole season as ronaldo did. They bought Owen and Valencia, who is good winger"

Chelsea did not spent much neither, but you know one of their new players - Zirkov - from CSKA Moscow. Is it good transfer?

"He is excellent player. I had a chance to watch him closely for four and half an year and he was the best player in the league in my oppinion."

Will he be an asset?„100%. If he settle quickly. He has unbelievable quality in him. His performances arew stable and he controll the whole side of the pitch. He is defending and also attacking - he is a good penny. And his crosses are perfect. He was able to supply five sitters per. game. Minimally. Fantastic player.

He will maybe succeed as Arsavin in Arsenal. He can not be satisfied with Arsenals activity on the transfer market, can he? How much will Arsenal be weakened by departures of Adebayor and Toure?

"I think, that they will have their quality even without them. They are one year older. They will definitely have a good season."

On the other hand side, Manchester City have been spending like mad. Will they manage to harmonize the bunch of stars, with majority of strikers?

„They have so many experienced players, that they should manage to do it. I am curious about them. In any case, they bought top quality. It will be very interesting."

Who will be the best scorrer of the season?

„Berbatov may be good. I would bet on him.“

Zola & Clarke Interview..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...m.html?ITO=1490

Colleagues at Chelsea and now West Ham, Gianfranco Zola and Steve Clarke have also been the closest of friends for 13 years. This is the first time they have agreed to be interviewed together…

Matt Lawton: When you arrived here 11 months ago, there were those who thought everyone involved was mad. You, Franco, for walking into a club in financial meltdown, and you, Steve, for leaving Chelsea. And West Ham for turning to someone with no managerial experience.

Gianfranco Zola: It was insane. Totally insane.

ML: You’re joking, right?

GZ: I’m not joking. I couldn’t believe West Ham were asking me to be their manager, because it amounted to a massive gamble for everyone. The Premier League is very competitive and you have to be prepared for that. They took a gamble, and I have to say they have been very good to me and I hope it is going to be successful for them. But before I took the job I had to give it a lot of thought. I spoke to Steve, and if Steve had said ‘No’ I’m not sure I would have taken it.

Steve Clarke: I wish I’d never taken the phonecall. When I saw his name, I thought: ‘What does he want?’ It came after one of the first summers in a long time when I hadn’t gone across to Sardinia to see Franco. Most did a lot of good work in a very difficult year (2007-08) under Avram Grant. We went very close to winning the Champions League.

But this was an opportunity for me at the right time. A chance to challenge myself. I could have sat at Chelsea. I could have had the easiest life. But I think every success under a different manager would have been diluted for me. It wouldn’t have felt the same.

With each change it would have become less about me and more about them. So for me this was a chance to push myself. I knew what Franco wanted. What he expected. It was a chance to work with a different group, see if I could get the respect of those players as a coach. I’m quite ambitious. I want to see how good I can be.

ML: What did you learn from Jose Mourinho?

SC: I think you learn from every manager you work with. But I would say more from Mourinho than any other manager. I’d never seen preparation that was so meticulous. The attention to detail was staggering, at first. Then over a period of time you get used to it. You think, ‘OK, that’s the way to work.’ It was a good schooling.

ML: Now Chelsea have Carlo Ancelotti. The man, Franco, who sold you to Chelsea when he was at Parma. After years of upheaval will he bring stability to the club?

SC: Good question. Based on their track record, probably not. It depends how the team do. I don’t think they have shown themselves to be very patient. They are always chasing success, and if you are chasing success somewhere along the way there are casualties.

GZ: Carlo Ancelotti is a good coach and a good man. I worked with him for just three months at Parma, before I left for Chelsea, although I had worked with him before with the national team. In my first game for the national team I played with him.

But I agree with Steve. Much depends on results at Chelsea. The club is very ambitious and they want to achieve a high level of results.

SC: It goes with the job at Chelsea. It’s a job in which you have to be successful. And you don’t get long before you have to be successful.

ML: You arrived at a club in crisis. You’ve had to sell players, drastically reduce the wage bill, operate without the kind of money now at the disposal of so many of your rivals. And yet amid all that you managed to guide West Ham to ninth place last season.

SC: There were difficult moments. October and November were tough. It required a lot of strong characters. There was a big cloud over the club but inside it was very strong. And Franco should take a lot of credit for that. It was down to his character. He kept everyone positive. We made a point of being bright and bubbly in front of the players and they responded.

ML: But look at what you’re up against. Manchester City have spent £93.5million this summer. You guys have spent nothing.

GZ: We do have a tough job. We are not competing with Manchester City on a financial front but on the football pitch, you never know. Money is important but it’s not everything. Sometimes good work is done with passion, enthusiasm — presence can be as valuable as many millions of pounds. A job can be done.

As long as the people realise the difficulties and understand that you cannot compete for the first five places. But if people back us, and everyone stays positive, and we believe in ourselves…

ML: You don’t feel, then, that the rug is being pulled from under you?

GZ: I don’t think anybody at the club is interested in undermining us. We can’t cry about the financial problems the club have endured. I’m sure the club are trying hard to strengthen the team. I’m sure players will arrive before the transfer window closes. But, in the meantime, we have to make sure the players we have are ready. We have some good players. Some exciting young players.

ML: You appear to have worked wonders with Carlton Cole.

GZ: It is mainly down to the player.

SC: He’s starting to grow up. The season before we came he had to work very hard. The West Ham fans were not sure about him, and he worked hard to get their respect. And then we came in and gave him a little bit more. We trusted him, we played him, never questioned him. And he just got more confident. I had Carlton as a youth-team player. Some players mature at 18. Others at 28. I think Carlton comes towards the higher end of that scale.

Chelsea sent him out on loan for a couple of years but he spent that time just waiting to get back to Chelsea. When he left he started to realise it was down to him, and if he gets 20 goals this season I think he can make it on to that plane to South Africa with England. I want 20 goals, though!

GZ: We haven’t seen the best of Carlton Cole yet. He is starting to realise the potential he has. Trust me on this.

ML: John Terry, Franco, is someone who has spoken of your qualities as a mentor. Do you have a talent for that?

GZ: I’ve been doing this job for just 11 months, so I don’t know if I’m good yet. But I like to spend time with the players. Talk to them. Share information with them. Try and add something to their game. I think you have to be honest. And when I say honest I mean you have to be yourself. Knowledge is the key, and if you are giving them knowledge, players will respect that. You can do it by being a nice boy or a dirty b******. But the key is to provide them with knowledge. As long as you are fair with them, that you show you want to improve them, then players will respond to that.

ML: Some might consider you to be too nice for management.

SC: I think there’s a side of Franco people don’t always see. There’s a steely determination. He knows what he wants and he normally gets it. And there are different ways of getting the same result. You can scream and throw tea cups, or you can speak to people in a more pleasant manner and gain respect that way.

GZ: You just don’t know me very well. I am a nasty piece!

SC: He just keeps all the bad stuff under the radar.

ML: Here people clearly don’t think so. You remain the only player to win Footballer of the Year without playing a full season (he was crowned in the season he joined Chelsea, having signed in the November). And you were awarded an OBE.

GZ: There was a ceremony at the embassy in Rome. It was one of the most emotional days of my life. It was something I didn’t expect. I came to this country simply to play football and it has touched me the way people have been with me.

I was 30 when I came here and I played until I was 37, and I don’t think I would have played for that long had I not moved to Chelsea. It was the best thing that ever happened to me.

ML: Was it always your intention to move into management?

GZ: No, not really. When I stopped playing it wasn’t my intention to stay in football at all. To be a manager you need to have certain qualities and I wasn’t sure if I had them.

ML: Just out of interest. Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo?

GZ: Messi. They are both fantastic players. But I like Messi. Ronaldo is a fantastic goalscorer but I don’t think he is as good as Messi when it comes to creating chances for others.

SC: He’s only saying that because he’s the same size.

If this is true, where on Earth has the Money came from ??

From today's Independent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ne-Chamakh.html

West Ham poised to seal £7 million deal for Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh

Chief executive Scott Duxbury will fly to France to try to secure a move for the 25 year-old, who remains of interest to Arsenal.

If West Ham sign Chamakh it will come as a huge relief to manager Gianfranco Zola, who has made no secret of his desire to bring in at least one new striker this summer. West Ham will partly finance the deal with the expected sale of defender James Collins, who is interesting Stoke City and is available for around £5 million. Talks between the two clubs are ongoing.

One concern for West Ham is that Chamakh may carry out his threat to see out the final year of his contract at Bordeaux and then agree a free transfer next summer to Arsenal, who had a £5 million bid for the Moroccan international rejected earlier this summer.

Understandably the French club are keen to avoid that scenario and want to conclude a swift deal with West Ham, who are confident that negotiations will be successfully concluded on Tuesday.

Chamakh scored twice in Bordeaux's 3-2 win at Sochaux on Saturday to take his total to three goals in two French league games. West Ham had an initial offer of £4 million rejected and although club sources will not confirm the scale of their new bid, sources in France have indicated it could amount to around £7 million. Contrary to suggestions, there is no sell-on clause involved in the deal.

West Ham have been in talks with Barcelona's Eidur Gudjohnsen and Bayern Munich's Luca Toni, but Chamakh would appear to represent a younger, quicker option than either player.

However West Ham will continue to look to add to their squad before the transfer window closes at the end of this month, having already signed Luis Jiménez from Inter Milan on a season-long loan and agreed permanent deals for Radoslav Kovac and Herita Ilunga, plus the promising young former Chelsea striker Frank Nouble.

The club have continued to fiercely deny suggestions that they have to conduct a fire-sale to balance the books and have also dismissed out-of-hand claims that Zola is unhappy and considering his position.

On the contrary, it is understood that the manager is comfortable with the club's current transfer policy and is working closely with Duxbury and technical director Gianluca Nani to re-shape the squad.

West Ham have made no secret of the fact that they want to move on several fringe players such as Calum Davenport and Nigel Quashie, and would consider offers for others such as Julien Faubert and Collins, even though both are currently involved in the first-team.

Duxbury has to continue to try and balance the books and it is a case of West Ham having to sell to finance any purchases.

Manchester City have shown interest in Matthew Upson but West Ham will not sell their captain unless they receive an offer of at least £15 million. Even then the bid will be put to Zola to make a final decision but he may decide that such a fee, for a 30 year-old, represents good value as long as he is given funds to invest in his first-team squad.

One word Singer : Upson

Possibly Jimbo but Upson would have to be sold first & there is currently no sign that City agree with what we value him at although they may well have a change of heart after watching the HUGELY overated Joleon on Saturday night.. :)

One word Singer : Upson

Possibly Jimbo but Upson would have to be sold first & there is currently no sign that City agree with what we value him at although they may well have a change of heart after watching the HUGELY overated Joleon on Saturday night.. :)

Here's the answer then & i have to say i'm gutted, probabaly my favourite Player & i wish him well..

Good luck Ginge...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...utd/8207794.stm

Stoke City are closing in on the signing of Welsh international defender James Collins from West Ham United. BBC Sport understands the 25-year-old centre-back is at the Britannia Stadium discussing personal terms after the two clubs agreed a £5m fee.

His fellow West Ham defender Matthew Upson has also been the subject of intense speculation this summer.

Collins, who has 30 Welsh caps, has played 63 times for the Hammers since his move from Cardiff City in 2005.

West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola insisted on Tuesday his club did not need to sell key players before the end of the August transfer window.

Zola was thought to be under pressure from CB Holding, the club's Icelandic owners, to cash in on the squad.

But Zola told the club's website: "We are looking to buy not sell players."

hey hammers, has the lad jiminez played for you yet? got him on the bench for my fantasy team and am wondering whether to sub him in this weekend.

Yeah he plays Stevie & will be playing Sunday & i have just in fact brang him off the Bench for my Team as i like the look of him & think we'll start seeign what he's made of now he's had a couple of Months to settle.

He's got a lovely touch, have a look on Sunday..

The Mirror are running this today..

Dean Ashton is set to announce his shock retirement from football.

The 26 year-old West Ham and England striker is suffering from a degenerative ankle problem. He travelled to Amsterdam three weeks ago for an assessment from leading Dutch surgeon Niek van Dijk and was warned he could end up wheelchair-bound if he carried on playing.

A Hammers spokesman said last night: “We can confirm Dean Ashton is unavailable for selection but we cannot comment any further."

Ashton, who has endured ankle problems since sustaining a fracture during an England training session in August 2006, has not been able to train or play since breaking down in manager Gianfranco Zola's first training session on September 15 last year.

Dutch surgeon Van Dijk originally operated on Ashton’s ankle after the England training ground accident with Shaun Wright-Phillips three years ago.

Following 11 months out the game the £7million signing from Norwich eventually returned to action and admitted he feared his career might have been over.

In June 2007 Ashton said: "At your low ppoints you think you're never going to play again and that is a horrible feeling. Anyone who tells you they don't feel like that would be lying."

However, the burly striker battled back to make 35 league and cup appearances and scored 11 goals.

But the worsening state of his ankle was already taking its toll.

Despite signing a new five-year contract, worth £50,000 a-week last summer, Ashton has now been sidelined for almost a year. He underwent further surgery on his ankle in February this year and underwent a course of rehabilitation with former West Ham physiotherapist John Green.

Green has worked with other long term casualties such as Kieron Dyer and Michael Owen.

Despite these sessions Ashton has suffered excruciating pain in his ankle, which is rapidly getting worse.

The club decided to take the intiative recently as Ashton’s condition showed no sign of subsiding.

They stopped Ashton’s consultations with Green and sent him with their medical team to see Van Dijk in Holland.

Van Dijk informed Ashton that he could perform high-risk surgery to alleviate the pain but that the striker had to accept his playing career was over.

West Ham are now in the process of lodging an insurance claim while negotiating a pay-off for Ashton.

Ashton and Darren Bosson, the player’s agent, were not available for comment.

Carlton Cole: Maker of one of the best left-footed volleys of the year. Followed by the worst pass I have seen in 5 years.

If you'd have followed football more closely in those five years, James. You'd have noticed many equally as stupid back passes. Even in a very recent international match involving a Manchester United player. :)

Carlton Cole: Maker of one of the best left-footed volleys of the year. Followed by the worst pass I have seen in 5 years.

If you'd have followed football more closely in those five years, James. You'd have noticed many equally as stupid back passes. Even in a very recent international match involving a Manchester United player. :)

That pass was inch perfect, Glen Hoddle couldn't have done better.

Not even close, one was a friendly and not from the half way line :D

James, in football an international is an international whether an international friendly or not. Also a back pass is a back pass from wherever on the field of play that may occur. I once again reiterate that there have been countless such disasters over the past five years, one only has to maintain a speculative interest in football to know this.

James, in football an international is an international whether an international friendly or not. Also a back pass is a back pass from wherever on the field of play that may occur. I once again reiterate that there have been countless such disasters over the past five years, one only has to maintain a speculative interest in football to know this.

Cherry coat it any way you want - we know that Spurs Hammer games are just another match :D

Anyways, thought it was entertaining to watch (the match). Lennon owned Spector all night.

Cherry coat it any way you want - we know that Spurs Hammer games are just another match

Maybe it's just another game to you , James. But not to the majority of West Ham supporters it isn't. Goes back an awful looong way back into East End (of London) history that one.

Anyways, thought it was entertaining to watch (the match). Lennon owned Spector all night.

You watched the whole game ? Me, I was more interested in England trying to regain the Ashes and watched the highlights later. :D

:)

Cherry coat it any way you want - we know that Spurs Hammer games are just another match

Maybe it's just another game to you , James. But not to the majority of West Ham supporters it isn't. Goes back an awful looong way back into East End (of London) history that one.

You watched the whole game ? Me, I was more interested in England trying to regain the Ashes and watched the highlights later. :D

:)

That's my point, the useless England friendly against the Dutch (with ferdinand's brain cramp) is just another game while the Carlton's last night held much much more meaning.

Of course I watched the whole game - picket Spurs to win 2-1 (only one i got right all weekend though) and I don't do cricket mate. rather watch my grass grow.

That's my point, the useless England friendly against the Dutch (with ferdinand's brain cramp) is just another game while the Carlton's last night held much much more meaning.

Not quite, James. If England had lost that game to Holland by more than the smallest of margins .then there'd have been some serious questions being asked of Mr Capello. Each and every game leading up to next years WC has a significance and undergoes a scrutiny beyond what you could imagine.

So, yesterdays game held more meaning only to West Ham supporters. Whilst the England game to ,more or less, a whole nation (s) of football supporters. Different games, different contexts you see ?

Of course I watched the whole game - picket Spurs to win 2-1 (only one i got right all weekend though) and I don't do cricket mate. rather watch my grass grow.

Hardly a turn up for the book Spurs wining 2-1. I haven't checked yet, but that might well have been mine in a prediction league too.

I wouldn't have expected you to appreciate or understand the game of cricket, James. You are north American, are you not ?

Not quite, James. If England had lost that game to Holland by more than the smallest of margins .then there'd have been some serious questions being asked of Mr Capello. Each and every game leading up to next years WC has a significance and undergoes a scrutiny beyond what you could imagine.

So, yesterdays game held more meaning only to West Ham supporters. Whilst the England game to ,more or less, a whole nation (s) of football supporters. Different games, different contexts you see ?

Hardly a turn up for the book Spurs wining 2-1. I haven't checked yet, but that might well have been mine in a prediction league too.

I wouldn't have expected you to appreciate or understand the game of cricket, James. You are north American, are you not ?

We could go on debating this all day. Not sure how Capello with his (outstanding record thus far with England) could be put on the hook for Rio's screw up. Nobody really cared about the friendly - in fact most were against it considering the piss poor timing of it.

As for your last comment, beside you, Australia, Cricket has about as much global appeal as my underwear after a big Friday night out. But please carry on.

We could go on debating this all day. Not sure how Capello with his (outstanding record thus far with England) could be put on the hook for Rio's screw up. Nobody really cared about the friendly - in fact most were against it considering the piss poor timing of it.

I bow to your superior knowledge of all things football ...

However ...

As for your last comment, beside you, Australia, Cricket has about as much global appeal as my underwear after a big Friday night out. But please carry on.

... much you try and justify it -- your neanderthal , racist language language is not welcome here. Or further I think/hope that you'll find.

Kick It Out ! :)

Them two ^^ must be a couple of Bird, surely ??

Anyway, on a sad note, it seems Jack Collison's Dad had a Motorbike accident & was killed on the M25 on the way to the T8ttenham Game on Sunday, my thoughts are with Jack & Family..

Not a good few days for West Ham..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...-Ham-terms.html

After all Neill signed up for West Ham two-and-a-half years ago when the club, under Eggert Magnusson, was splashing the cash (remember that £85,000-a-week deal for Freddie Ljungberg?) and turned down Liverpool and Champions League football for a relegation scrap at Upton Park.

But Neill, after a patchy period, did well for West Ham. And West Ham did well for the Australian. A wage of £60,000-a-week – that's £240,000 a month so, over roughly 30 months, that's £7.2 million. For a right-back. A good one but not a great one.

So West Ham wanted him to be paid, its understood, £30,000-a-week and offered a two-year deal. Neill refused. After all others at the club were earning far more and he was the captain. Also this was probably his last Premier League contract so he stood his ground. West Ham also offered him two years – it's thought Neill proposed 12 months at more like £50,000 to £60,000 a week.

Negotiations continued and, in fairness, West Ham relented, upping their offer. Now it's thought they would pay £35,000-a-week plus appearance and bonus money taking Neill to within a couple of thousand pounds of £50,000-a-week.

Again he refused. So his contract ran out and since the end of June he's not been paid. So, if we take the £35,000 basic wage and multiply that over, say, seven weeks then Neill has missed out on £245,000.

It's a staggering figure but so are virtually all estimates of footballers' wages. But if Neill and West Ham were, approximately, £10,000 apart then he has, in not receiving any money, already missed out on almost half a year of that difference.

In the mean time Neill, a free agent, has spoken to Sunderland and Galatasaray while West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola has become puzzled and angry by his now former player's stance.

"I'm sorry about this situation, but I don't understand and don't want to comment," Zola said. "He was in talks with West Ham, then I find out he was in talks with Galatasaray and with Sunderland. Now I don't know what's going on. But he's out, and that's no good for him. For the moment, he's not our priority in that position." In other words, goodbye.