Retirement

1 minute ago, Lite Beer said:

Have you actually read this topic?
It appears not.

He might have read but certainly not comprehended the factual advice given based on actual experience, calling it "anecdotal".

As for being given a pass on medical and police reports for a one year OA visa - do let us know how that goes 555!

Anything less than one year entry is not an OA Visa.

• Like 1

I have read the whole lot I have also read the information on the Embassy website and they conflict. You are the ones not reading the posts. In one case I was informed that the visa I need is no longer available because who would choose to pay only £50 to enter the country for a retirement extension when they could pay £125 for multi entry visa and have the pleasure of doing a visa run!
There is only one way to verify the facts and that is consult an authoritative source. Whatever has proved possible to do in the past is no guarantee that it will always work this site is full of 'factual' reports of dealings with Immigration which are quite inconsistent. What are they if not anecdotal?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

20 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I have read the whole lot I have also read the information on the Embassy website and they conflict. You are the ones not reading the posts. In one case I was informed that the visa I need is no longer available because who would choose to pay only £50 to enter the country for a retirement extension when they could pay £125 for multi entry visa and have the pleasure of doing a visa run!
There is only one way to verify the facts and that is consult an authoritative source. Whatever has proved possible to do in the past is no guarantee that it will always work this site is full of 'factual' reports of dealings with Immigration which are quite inconsistent. What are they if not anecdotal?

Type O-A visa 12 month requiring medical/police check and funds in bank in your home country, can be extended for 1 year if you leave and enter Thailand before it expires - you need to perform 90 day reports at local Immigration.

Type O visa single (90 days) or multiple entry (12 months) (the later only available to those getting a UK state pension or married to a Thai))

Type O Multiple entry you must leave Thailand every 90 days (this visa is also extendable)

Type O single entry you must leave Thailand after 90 days or use the option to extend it in Bangkok for which you must meet the criteria which can be found on this forum - over 50 800k baht in Thai bank etc etc

the above is pretty simplistic to understand and there might be some very slight variance but overall it is accurate

Most people when they come to Thailand with the intent to stay long term get a 90 day Type O and extend it for 12 months, by far the easiest and most convenient method to retire here, if you don't meet the financial requirements then you shouldn't be wanting to retire in Thailand anyway

Edited by smedly

30 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I have never done a visa run in my life.  I have been in Thailand for 3 years on an extension of stay due to retirement, which I obtain at immigration once every year for 1,900 Baht.  I have never been required to leave Thailand for any reason.  I choose to leave Thailand every year to travel for which I purchase a re-entry permit (single for 1,000 or multiple for 3,800) so that I do not lose my retirement extension.  I file a 90-day report at immigration whenever I have been in Thailand for 90 consecutive days (online, if I can, otherwise in person).  That is my anecdote.  

I've been able to do that thanks to the very able advice given on this forum by people like ubonjoe, elviajero, dentonian, lopburi, and lite beer.  I don't know if you are aware of this but information on embassy websites often doesn't get updated in a timely manner, it is very often out of date.  It is sometimes even wrong.  You are focusing on the "visa you think you need" that is "no longer available" when several people have patiently explained how you can accomplish what you want to accomplish using what is available.  But you don't seem to be able to comprehend that.  

This website is full of "factual" reports of dealings with immigration and they are sometimes inconsistent.  Guess what?  They are inconsistent because immigration is inconsistent and things change.  Things that were once offered at a particular location are no longer offered.  Requirements sometimes change.  That's the real value of this particular forum.  It allows you to ask people who deal with this stuff on a regular basis how to do what you want.   It's reports of what's happening from boots on the ground.  I find that to be a very valuable service.  If you don't, it makes me wonder why you even bother to ask the question here.  Surely it's a waste of your valuable time.  Good luck!

Edited by skatewash
added missing word
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

Type O-A visa 12 month requiring medical/police check and funds in bank in your home country, can be extended for 1 year if you leave and enter Thailand before it expires - you need to perform 90 day reports at local Immigration.

Type O visa single (90 days) or multiple entry (12 months) (the later only available to those getting a UK state pension)

Type O Multiple entry you must leave Thailand every 90 days (this visa is also extendable)

Type O single entry you must leave Thailand after 90 days or use the option to extend it in Bangkok for which you must meet the criteria which can be found on this forum - over 50 800k baht in Thai bank etc etc

the above is pretty simplistic to understand and there might be some very slight variance but overall it is accurate

Most people when they come to Thailand with the intent to stay long term get a 90 day Type O and extend it for 12 months, by far the easiest and most convenient method to retire here, if you don't meet the financial requirements then you shouldn't be wanting to retire in Thailand anyway

Nicely put. 
There are several routes to an annual retirement extension and the extension does not need money tied up in Thailand if the applicant uses the income method. 

Applying for a visa from the embassy/consulate in UK will possibly involve medical and police reports, which can be avoided if you enter Thailand on a permit, and then convert it to an O at the local immigration office, and then extend that annually, based on retirement.

90 day reports are the same no matter what visa or permission-to-stay or extension is in use.

@tgezzer,

Not mentioned already is the METV (Multi entry tourist Visa)

The Non Imm O Single or Multi entry are usually obtain by those who then want to remain in Thailand permanently, either by obtaining extensions of permission to stay based on marriage on retirement.

A Visa is obtained from an Embassy or Consulate and allows entry to Thailand. Each type of Visa allows a certain period of time you can remain in Thailand. An 'extension' is obtained internally from local Immigration offices and nothing to do with external Embassies/Consulates. Every type of Visa has different period of life before it expires.

An 'extension' is not an extension of the Visa, it is an extension of permission to stay in Thailand that a Visa originally allowed.

Embassies/Consulates can only advise on the types of Visas they offer, they have limited knowledge of the requirements from internal Immigration within Thailand, or how to follow those procedures.

Perhaps if you stated the period of time you wanted to stay in Thailand each year, we could advise on the best cost effective way to achieve your goal.

I appreciate everyone's efforts even those who refuse to believe that the various types of visas are not designed to facilitate long stays/residency in Thailand especially those which require visa runs. I admit that I am being mischievous in pointing it out.
Since this is simply a break in extensions necessitated by the need for me to get a new passport in UK, and since Bangkok Immigration have been satisfied for the past ten or more extensions that there are no medical or criminal factors for refusal perhaps London will accept that as fact. If they won't accept my Thai bank accounts then I will provide proof of resources in England.

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Since this is simply a break in extensions necessitated by the need for me to get a new passport in UK, and since Bangkok Immigration have been satisfied for the past ten or more extensions that there are no medical or criminal factors for refusal perhaps London will accept that as fact. If they won't accept my Thai bank accounts then I will provide proof of resources in England.

You only require a Non Imm O 90 day single entry Visa in that case.

No medical or criminal records required.

During the last 30 days of that Visa you can once again apply for an extension using your Thai bank funds at Bangkok.

• Like 1