Bangkok set to get tough with motorcyclists on the sidewalks - public urged to call 1555 to complain

rooster59

Bangkok set to get tough with motorcyclists on the sidewalks - public urged to call 1555 to complain

bike.PNG

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- The Bangkok Municipal Authority met yesterday and top of the agenda for 50 districts represented was the problem of motorcyclists riding on and parking on the city's sidewalks.

The meeting, chaired by the city governor himself Asawin Kwanmeuang, heard that the public were fed up with bikers on the city's walking areas and had received a huge number of complaints.

Now the authority in conjunction with the police who were also represented at the meeting intend to get tough and increase fines.

They urged the public to report motorcyclists by calling a hotline number - 1555.

The BMA said that there were 9,514 fines issued for riding on and parking on the sidewalk so far this year. The average was 500 - 1000 baht per person. Some 7.2 million baht in fines was collected but they want this to increase next year.

By-laws state that bikers can be fined up to 5,000 baht for the offences.

A police spokesman at the meeting said that the main problem areas were Sukhumvit Road, Lat Prao Road, Rama IV and Jaran Sanitwong Road.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-10

Especially in Chinatown they all do it.

But also cars park on the roads everywhere, it's the most lawless place of BKK, total mayhem on the streets. NO FUN to walk around for shopping.

I won't call the number, sure they can't speak english since nobody at the government can.

When do the riverboats get lifevests? Also that never happened and they are still overloaded.

Edited by fruitman

It would also be excellent if Pattaya followed suit in banning motorcycles from the pavement on the seaward side of beach road, I have noticed more & more motorcycles going up & down beach road on the walkway which is already crowded with Chinese tourists waiting to board speed boats to the island etc. what is more concerning is that the life guards are also going up & down the walkway on motorcycles and therefore do not say anything to the other bike riders, who even ride past the Police station on Soi 9 where I have seen police stopping motorcyclists even when riding with helmets on along beach road but turning a blind eye to the bike riders on the walkway.

Need to get the Police everywhere in Thailand to start enforcing road rules period.  Good to see they are going to fine people for parking on the footpath, but do nothing about ...... running red lights, riding on the wrong side of the road, driving/riding without a licence, not stopping on pedestrian crossings, speeding, driving recklessly, parking in the middle of the road, not giving way and the list goes on and on and on...

Why does the public need to phone a number?  If they phone, do you think the motorcycle will still be there when the police show up?  If they ever show up!

Instead, why do the police not just set up a trap and collect the money!!!!  I see every MRT and BTS station has motor cycle taxis and they all go in the wrong direction.  The police could set up traps before and after normal working hours and take the rest of the day off!

2 hours ago, jerojero said:

Wonder how long this crack down wull last? Couple days? And I'm sure the police will come running when a call is made to them. Arrive in a flash to catch the perp.

The last crackdown only lasted 24 hrs, and it was not very long ago.

Not hard to take a photo and send it.

Send it where? Personally I wouldn't be taking pics of taxis on sidewalks, if they figure out what your really doing things can go south quickly and it only takes one Yaba crazed individual!

They didn't think this through very well, what will calling that number achieve, or do they expect us to physically detain the perp?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

They announce a crackdown, but themn  forget about it a week later. is it any surprise that people have   no respect for the police?

In case you haven't noticed or are not in the country, every crackdown the army has implemented had not been reversed.

Sukhumvit sidewalks
Balihai
Cozy beach
Phuket beaches
Hotels on public land going down

Based on that I would say there is a good chance they won't back down

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I have to take a car everywhere as 'where there is a navigable pavement (sidewalk)' its too dangerous to walk down it with my Son in his pushchair... 

I saw a lady yesterday who had to exit the pavement (which had tree's and parked motorcycles), go outside of a parked car and walk with her push-chair down the main road with traffic passing her. 

With regards to safety through its lack of enforcement and peoples attitude and general lack of consideration towards the safety of others Thailand repeatedly shows itself to be well and truly careless. 

As with the multitude of 'other crackdowns' I don't see this changing a single thing.... The average guy in the street will not even be aware of such crackdowns. 

3 hours ago, garywim said:

No one seems bothered by no seat belts in cars, does no-one wear seat belts when driving or being driven?

Maybe you haven't been in Asia for very long.

In Malaysia they laugh at you when you buckle up.

3 hours ago, jerojero said:

Wonder how long this crack down wull last? Couple days? And I'm sure the police will come running when a call is made to them. Arrive in a flash to catch the perp.

:cheesy:  They wont be allowed to ride on the foot path, so the police will take a few hours in traffic to arrive, if ever

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

If you think this is bad, don't visit Hanoi.

I spend a lot of time in Hanoi. Can't remember seeing a motorcycle driving on the "sidewalk". In fact I don't believe it is possible because there are so many parked bikes and other obstructions   

8 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

The police thing outside my child's school parks his motorbike on the pavement blocking it and making children walk on the road to get by ,useless piece of shit

I can see that it might take you a while longer to fully integrate into the Thai way of life.