village loudspeaker system

kannot

Yes the dreaded loudspeaker they put  on the electric  posts, whats the voltage running thru these.....................just incase it "develops" a  short  circuit?

Is  it  only live when turned on playing music etc?

Hey I never suggested anything

51 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It will be a 100V sound distribution system and will definitely give you a nip when it's operating.

but when not operating ie  blaring out "delightful"  music it would be "0" volts....................installed today but I suspect it may develop a fault in about a  months  time....................lived here with no neighbours for peace and quiet, gawd  only knows "why" this crap has been installed when the road is in a shocking state and shouldve spent the money on repairs etc

9 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

In our village, NOBODY likes the annoying music the PuYaiBaan plays for 20 min or so before/after the speech, mail call, whatever.  But, NOBODY says anything.  I ask the wife to complain but she says "cannot".  TIT

i  think this may be a govt led initiative to keep enforcing their will

On 12/10/2016 at 5:05 PM, Lamkyong said:

often this is a means of communication  for villagers    do you wish to deprive these people of what maybe to them important information   just because  music bugs you   selfish i call it

how exactly do they communicate with music? and why does it  need to be on for 5  hours a  day? no  really Im all ears......whats left of them...thats what I call selfish

I dont know  single  villager that hasnt  got a mobile  phone or tv

Edited by kannot

3 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

i can only talk of my village   experience

if you would like to ask about music communication   just ask  any of the   famous artists and i am sure they can confirm  by showing their   bank statements 

so your e telling me this is  a  way for villagers to get rich? and for this  reason I  must ignore the 5  hour  droning?

I dont live "in"  the  village im a  good  7-800 metres  out of it with no one between me and it.

Exactly , you see this is "my experience"

Edited by kannot

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:56 PM, kannot said:

when the road is in a shocking state and shouldve spent the money on repairs etc

They probably thought you were going to keep on repairing it.........:smile:

1 hour ago, topt said:

They probably thought you were going to keep on repairing it.........:smile:

dont forget they already  told  me "not  your job"  

I  live in the real Thailand not the fantasy you read about  on TV "good  falang grandad  fixing  road"

In Phuket we have the call to prayer where I live, but the speakers are at least a kilometer away so it doesn't bother me as it isn't loud. But when I go to the village north of Bangkok I have to deal with those annoying speakers. There are no speakers in Sara Buri, so why do we need them in the village? Somebody suggested a while ago that you cut the wires and them put some electrical tape over the cut so it becomes extremely difficult to find the flaw....I like this idea. A quick fix would be to spray insulation foam into the speaker to mute it which sets up hard......and very difficult to get out.

12 minutes ago, Mansell said:

A quick fix would be to spray insulation foam into the speaker to mute it which sets up hard......and very difficult to get out.

Maybe just a tad conspicuous seeing a farang climbing a 15m tower with a can of foam spray in his belt. :tongue:

Even at 2am, there's always some bugger awake.

Just get hold of them if it gives you a belt you will know not to touch other people's property. Other wise one day you might find someone has wired your gate or house. We have the daily information broadcast no great problems and at least we know if the Lecy is due to go off or a road is going to close. 

On 12/10/2016 at 5:05 PM, Lamkyong said:

often this is a means of communication  for villagers    do you wish to deprive these people of what maybe to them important information   just because  music bugs you   selfish i call it

Yes,Poo Yai called in my missus to sign up for the xmas bonus,as we were away at the original sign in.It is just far enough away not to bug me and i'm up at 6 anyway.

Back in the day, the city I am from had lots of CB radio enthusiasts. I was talking to one of their number who was explaining the whole CB scene to me.

He said that from time to time, for whatever reason,  someone would insert a pin into the co-axial aerial cable and snip it off flush, so it couldn't be easily seen. The idea was to create a short circuit that was difficult to find.

On the surface it's a good way of keeping the locals informed of village news. BUT - there is no reason for the music. It starts up at 5.30 near me and sets my five dogs howling. And it seems to be mostly used for reciting an endless list of who donated how much for the latest cause. If someone's name isn't read out they wouldn't give anything. Face. But of course some lose face anyway by not giving as much as them across the road.....

BUT, again, when will Thailand wake up to the 21st century. Everyone has a smartphone or knows someone who does. So why not text the news. Presumably it has to be typed out anyway to be read out.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

On the surface it's a good way of keeping the locals informed of village news. BUT - there is no reason for the music. It starts up at 5.30 near me and sets my five dogs howling. And it seems to be mostly used for reciting an endless list of who donated how much for the latest cause. If someone's name isn't read out they wouldn't give anything. Face. But of course some lose face anyway by not giving as much as them across the road.....

BUT, again, when will Thailand wake up to the 21st century. Everyone has a smartphone or knows someone who does. So why not text the news. Presumably it has to be typed out anyway to be read out.

It's the way it is I can assure you not everyone has access to a mobile. Plus  this is Thailand they have there ways not everyone likes things here but I have never heard a thai resident complain about the morning news bullitien. There are worse things in the world to worry about.

PS as our house is on the outskirts of our village we also get the neighbouring villages news which starts almost at the same time stereo so to speak.

If the loudness of the 'bull horn' is a problem I'm sure one could always 'donate' a suitable VOLUME CONTROL

Install it 'somewhere' along the wire that feeds that speaker.  That way, if they decide to replace the speaker then the associated volume control won't need to also be replaced.

As most volume controls are installed pre-amplifier, not post amplifier, you'd need a control specifically designed to handle amplified output.