We usually do the surgery laproscopically.

al007

We usually do the surgery laproscopically.

This is the comment I am receiving from Indian Hospitals, when currently making enquiries

I recently had prostate holep surgery in India, and that went well and was very cost effective, however things came a bit off the rails when two lots of cancer were discovered also because the promised colonoscopy was not done on the original promised timetable at the beginning, also the Holep was done under spinal anaesthetic and not general as promised

Indian hospitals can offer high quality treatment at affordable cost, but will change and cheat if given the opportunity, is my opinion, and may or may not be correct

Interestingly it appear the cost I paid in Bangkok at a top public cancer hospital for my Chemo and Radiology was pretty close to what I would have paid in India, which suggests maybe the India option will not be as cost saving as hoped for; however I believe them to have the advantage of being more technologically advanced

My Chemotherapy and radiology in Bangkok , was completed ten days ago

In January I have more tests and yet another MRI before possible surgery, this could mean the removal of the part of the intestine just above the sphincter, and a colostomy bag being used either short or long term; and long term I wish to avoid if possible

My preference would be Bangkok for surgery if affordable and as upto date as India, it is also difficult to do research on bangkok hospitals and their procedures which is why i am researching through a couple of hospital intermediaries so in January I will know the questions to ask, and generally be better informed so I can make the right decision

To have keyhole surgery is more appealing than being cut wide open sound to me a better choice

My question as a result of the above is what does anyone know about laparoscopic surgery in Bangkok for intestinal cancer, also cutting and rejoining close to the sphincter is difficult;  all input greatly appreciated,

There is no lack of surgeons trained in laparoscopic surgical techniques in Bangkok.

However, whether or not a specific surgery can be done laparascopically depends on a host of factors. In the case of surgery to remove cancer of the colon (colectomy or hemicolectomy), even in the West  laparoscopic approach is not commonly used due to concerns about not being able to fully visualize the tumor margins and examine surrounding lymph nodes and tissue for signs of spread of the cancer.  It is only very recently that literature has come out indicating it may be  feasible, and most doctors are still reluctant as there is limited data on long term survival, and concerns about potential liability if the cancer subsequently spreads due to alleged failure to fully remove it.

Be aware to that it is not unusual for laparoscopic approaches to be unsuccessful, requiring that the surgeon switch mid procedure to an open approach.

Laparoscopic surgery is much more expensive than open approaches and requires not only special training and equipment but a higher level of skill and dexterity on the part of the surgeon. It is much more difficult to do.

Some tumors of the colon, if small and located in the lower part, may be removable through  a rectal approach (i.e. through a colonoscopy) avoiding the need for abdominal incision.

Every tumor is unique so beware of general statements form hospitals contacted by email etc. Unless the surgeon who will perform the surgery has studied your scans closely, he cannot say what surgical approach he will use.

I would advise against pushing for a particular surgical technique or approach if the surgeon does not feel it is optimal for your specific tumor. You may do yourself a disservice.

Archived