Meet the Khao San Phad Thai seller from London speaking Lao!

webfact

12 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

,    Farangs,   including this  lady  can be Thai immigrants, with an  ID  card.  Never  a

Thai  citizen unless  you  are  born  in  Thailand.  I have   a  Thai.. Chinese  brother in law

who  has  lived in Thailand  for  over  50  years,  but  he  was  born  in  China,  so  he

has  a Thai passport,  and ID  card  that  he has to renew  every year,  so  he

is  only the equivalent of  being  an immigrant.  Dam   sad   really,  in  this

LO  country,  that  is  what  I  think  anyway

Geezer

Can be thai citizen, Infact the most Important aspect Is speaking thai to pass the commission examination and she does. But maybe Veritas48 could be right??

Farang lady = automatic

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/12/2016 at 3:04 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Certainly living up to your moniker.

I hope she reads TV, heeds the warnings and takes a break for a while.

to the contrary, i hope she avoids this place altogether and continues living her life free of the misery perpetuated here.

54 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Not that it concerns me, but is same-sex marriage recognized in Thailand?

If a foreign man was to marry a Thai man are they entitled to the same treatment?

And do Thai women that marry foreign women lose their land rights?

No Thai citizen of any sex loses any land rights if marrying any foreigner of any sex.

10 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Well they used to. I am pleased if it has changed.

Any thing you can tell us about the marriage laws?

It was changed in 1999, however before that many Thai women, including my wife purchased land

Edited by Johnniey

23 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

It was changed in 1999, however before that many Thai women, including my wife purchased land

Okay, good it has changed. I wouldn't buy at the time for that reason.

Still heavy restrictions on Falang land ownership though, and condos are mostly short leases. I keep property back "home" in the land of my passport.

1 minute ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Okay, good it has changed. I wouldn't buy at the time for that reason.

Still heavy restrictions on Falang land ownership though, and condos are mostly short leases. I keep property back "home" in the land of my passport.

Are you married? Unusual surname you have.

Edited by Johnniey

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

There's a lot of difference in "Western food", i don't like French food myself but some dishes i like.

Western food is considered "hi-so" and a treat to them, that's why they order it at big companyparties. A Western meal in Thailand costs more than the minimum daily salary and for people who prefer a fieldmouse above an aussie steak that's bad luck.

I've been to loads of those companyparties in those big restaurants and the Thai all can order any dish they like. Sure they order Thai food or seafood but also Western dishes. They also order the most expensive drinks only like European beers or black label.

Many of those big restaurants can't cook western food properly, they even dare to serve mashed potato made from starchpowder which gives western food a bad name since that's not nice. Also they can't cook an aussie steak properly and without help from a farang to tell them to send it back to the kitchen if still raw they would never enjjoy a decent steak.

That's why i think western food should be cooked by a westerner, the Thai can't cook it and give the food a bad name. I ate spareribs in "the Bear" in BKK but couldn't get the meat from the bones, too bad.

I agree with your last point. Although I'd say a better way to have quality western food in Thailand is find Thais that are willing to learn things from a foreigner and ready to work for 400 baht per day. Easier said that done. Anyway, what you said is probably exactly why Thais would be very hesitant to eat street food prepared by a foreigner, which I think was my original point.

13 hours ago, eldragon said:

Man, I 'm just saying as a whole Thais don't like western food. Everyone knows that. I'm not saying none of em try it or enjoy it on occasion. Give it a rest.

The thing is only you as "a whole" know that. Thais i know love food in general. they resort to different comfort foods, but a good western meal will certainly be appreciated. 

Why you would presume to know what Thais "as a whole" like or dislike eludes me.

2 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

and what does it have to do with the other poster's ridiculous generalizations?

Because he might be right by saying all Thai don't like Western food. If they live upcountry and have only tried it in that train-restaurant or Black Canyon i can understand they think that way.

4 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Because he might be right by saying all Thai don't like Western food. If they live upcountry and have only tried it in that train-restaurant or Black Canyon i can understand they think that way.

but they dont all live up country, do they?

22 hours ago, fruitman said:

So you don't even know what Impact Muang Thong is i bet.

Do you know what a vietnamese lumpia is?? Very western krab. Or a bao-pao?? Or a satay?? or a Doner kebab? All very western sir, that's what we eat on the streets in europe, can also be hamburgers though or sandwiches.

I'm Asian and been based in Europe and US for over 20 years. So I know all the street food from around the world quite well. I'm a foodie and love to eat on the streets too. I'm also a naturalize Thai citizen, so I know Thailand very well. No need to quiz me about Impact Muang Thong and foods :tongue:

Like the other poster say, Vietnamese don't call their spring roll lumpia.  Sorry, you pretend to know your food, but you have no idea whats authentic and whats not. And what is a Bao Pao? never heard of it or just a typo? Perhaps you are referring to Gua Bao or Baozi?

Satay is also very western? Those are all very uncommon on the streets in Europe, other than the fried spring roll where you find in any take out Chinese restaurant all over the world.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well if you try a T-bone in a place like that restaurant-chain with the train (forget the name) or Black Canyon you'll get a very thin well done t-bone...nothing like the real thing but also costs much less.

Places like that give Western food a bad name. They also put some filthy "cheese-sauce" over the fry's, maybe it's american but i had never seen it before.

Thai also like to eat cold french fry's, i dare to say that NO farang likes that. 

"I can't be bothered if i eat real chinese or just a vague copy or a fantasy dish, as long as i like it it's fine with me. "

You see your problem again, you say its ok for Chinese restaurants to be not authentic in Europe because it taste good to you, but its not ok for Thai restaurants to make western food to suit Thai tastes. Again this is Thailand, stop forcing western standards on Thai restaurants whose main clients are not westerners.

4 hours ago, HooHaa said:

The thing is only you as "a whole" know that. Thais i know love food in general. they resort to different comfort foods, but a good western meal will certainly be appreciated. 

Why you would presume to know what Thais "as a whole" like or dislike eludes me.

Just my observation, man. I'm happy for you and anyone else that gets to interact with the small minority of Thais that are interested in western food and culture. I've certainly met my share. But I find the majority seem like are not interested.

4 minutes ago, fruitman said:

The Chinese food they sell in Europe isn't even chinese food at all, i've asked many chinese if they knew it and they don't.

But it tastes very good, my Thai wife also likes it a lot and wished it was for sale in BKK, it's also cheap, clean and they even speak european languages! Waht about that? 

Thai restaurants shouldn't ruin western food because they can't cook it, it gives western food a bad reputation. And a t-bone served for under 200 baht is impossible at all, it's must be a shoesole for that price. Mashed potato in an expensive hi-so restaurant is fine but not if it came out of a bag of starch...again it's a disgrace for western food.

Same as the US. Chinese tastes like cardboard.  Dumbed down for the bland american taste.  Can't get a decent coffee in the US either .  They think Starbucks is the benchmark.  555555

1 minute ago, tharae said:

Same as the US. Chinese tastes like cardboard.  Dumbed down for the bland american taste.  Can't get a decent coffee in the US either .  They think Starbucks is the benchmark.  555555

In Europe the chinese or indo or indian food tastes great (from the right restaurant of course,not all are good). They are the only places who sell rice-dishes though. I've never been to the usa so don't know about that but i believe you. Starbucks really has bad coffee, i don't understand why they are so popular worldwide and won't change their coffee for a good version.

But even Pad thai is being ruined by many thai restaurants who use some instant sauce...it tastes bad with that sauce but the real deal tastes great.

15 minutes ago, djjamie said:

If the govt say a Falang selling food in Thailand is wrong then the law must be respected. We visit their country so we must respect the law.

The guy (farang) owner from Sizzlers, Pizzahut, Swensson and some hotels has permits and sells a lot! And he has great food as well.