When is it ok to wear something else than black?

Moldybread

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/13/2016 at 3:29 AM, likeke said:

Come on folks!  How difficult is it to wear a black shirt. Think of it as a plus to show respect to a visiting country. It will be easy to pack 3 or 4 black shirts/shorts/blouse. Don't have to worry about coordinating colors, etc. Show some respect for crying out loud! For myself, I am going back to Bangkok next month after having lived there for 3 years on retirement extension. and packing essentially what I described above. I have 2 pairs of black Levis, shorts, and 3 shirts. 

Ridiculous...

On 12/13/2016 at 8:19 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

What nonsense. There is absolutely nothing disrespectful about not wearing black, now the official mourning period is over and a new King has ascended.

Agreed, but there was nothing disrespectful about wearing other than black PERIOD. It's clothing...nothing more. :coffee1:

I am not Thai, and as a result I do not engage in mourning their recent loss, anymore than I would engage in mourning the death of someone close to a friend or family member. I do not wai portraits in front of stores, nor do I wear a black ribbon. I wore black or dark colors for the thirty day period because it was mandated by the government, which, in itself is an interesting concept and comment on Thailand's individual freedoms. I do offer my respect, good thoughts and condolences to friends and family members as they grieve over their loss. If I was a religious man I would offer my prayers as well.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am not Thai, and as a result I do not engage in mourning their recent loss, anymore than I would engage in mourning the death of someone close to a friend or family member. I do not wai portraits in front of stores, nor do I wear a black ribbon. I wore black or dark colors for the thirty day period because it was mandated by the government, which, in itself is an interesting concept and comment on Thailand's individual freedoms. I do offer my respect, good thoughts and condolences to friends and family members as they grieve over their loss. If I was a religious man I would offer my prayers as well.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Agreed! EXCEPT for the fact that no non Thai person was required to wear black...nor were most Thais. I did not wear black anything during the 30 day mourning period, other than that which I would have worn anyway which is about twice a week.

No disrespect, as ones wardrobe is not how respect is shown, but how one conducts oneself with actions, manners and words.

On 12/14/2016 at 10:45 PM, Krataiboy said:

" . .  grey is the color most commonly associated with neutrality, conformity, boredom, uncertainty, old age, indifference, and modesty."- Wikipedia.

So which is it in your case?

I see "available laundered attire" is not on the list so, I'll go with indifference and old age.