Police report filed - what happens next?

I have read your posts with interest and was pointed to them by Blackcab who has your best interests at heart.

My wife is an interpreter who works in the courts and works with and assists an excellent lawyer who is vastly experienced in all matters, she is also partway through a law degree as her ambition is to become a lawyer herself eventually. She has an incredible personality and can talk and get on with all classes whether its a high court judge or a noodle seller.

Anyway the reason I say that is I think your best bet is to return to the police station with a mediator and attempt to smooth things over with one and all, and of course this will entail coming up with the requested amount too, but more importantly getting on the right side of the police. Of course you would have to employ her for the day but she will probably have the police eating out of her hand within the hour.

I can understand where you are coming from entirely because I too am highly principled but in this country you have to bite the bullet and accept that you don't have many options.

So if you are interested in my suggestion then I am attaching her business card, give her a ring and she will advise you accordingly.

HL

1.jpeg

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

What a bloody drama over 2500bht you are being really Imature here. But as people say your money your life your choices. Go down the court route if that's your choice hope you have a lot if spare money to throw away and then still pay the Landlord his due's.  

It is sad that expats think this way. I sort of get why (it is harder for us out here). If you want to think of yourself as a second class citizen and act accordingly, that is your choice.

2 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

It is sad that expats think this way. I sort of get why (it is harder for us out here). If you want to think of yourself as a second class citizen and act accordingly, that is your choice.

What is your problem really are you just looking for a thai bashing thread here. you are in the wrong end of story. You could have walked away with no more dramas but no you want to take it further. I do not and never have classed myself as a citizen here so I can't be 2nd class now can I. I think your posted reply to my post sums you up completely. You carry on your self ritous  crusade don't bother taking the advise you have been given. well you must be diaspointed with the replies most the same as mine no thai bashing.

You are trying really hard to spin this. Answer who pushed who. Answer who half swung a bolt cutter. Who fabricated damaged claims. Who submitted the police report. 

You have to do one hell of a spin to ignore all this.

Edited by Hal65

12 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

You are trying really hard to spin this. Answer who pushed who. Answer who half swung a bolt cutter. Who fabricated damaged claims. Who submitted the police report. 

You have to do one hell of a spin to ignore all this.

No point it's obvious you want to blow this out of all proportion. Look at the initial incidents you were in the wrong. end of story no spin fact from your own words. What came after was of your making

Your bias is on full display. The "he started it" defense isn't going to absolve anyone of a crime. I know you badly want for the Thais to be innocent and the big bad self righteous farang puppetmaster to be the evil manipular and sole wrongdoer. I believe even a Thai court will not allow it though. But continue on with your fantasy, you already know the story you want to project.

Edited by Hal65

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

No, I have never done it, but I would if I was rich and someone did me a bad turn and the police just turned a blind eye to it. In all the time I have lived in Thailand, no Thai has ever done me a bad turn, unlike in the UK, the vast majority of Thai people are non confrontational. 

Back in the UK, I was a great believer in taking the law into my own hands if the police or courts let anyone off with doing a bad turn towards me.

this is an issue over a small amount of money. why risk it? pay up and move on with the matter completed. no worry about it down the road. it has already been escalated enough.

5 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

I believe even a Thai court will not allow it though.

On that note I think you should contact a legal representative for further assistance.

Please keep us updated as this thread will be useful to others who find themselves in a similar situation.

51 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Your bias is on full display. The "he started it" defense isn't going to absolve anyone of a crime. I know you badly want for the Thais to be innocent and the big bad self righteous farang puppetmaster to be the evil manipular and sole wrongdoer. I believe even a Thai court will not allow it though. But continue on with your fantasy, you already know the story you want to project.

Jesus get a life  now you have your little rant out of your system you will feel even more complete in the morning. why start a thread if you already thong you know the answer. Be a man and see this for what it is. no more than 2500 ht 555 Jesus I'll start a just giving page for you. meanwhile take a pill or two and sleep it off.

Edited by Deepinthailand

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

The assault was him on me unless he badly construed it. His own CCTV shows who is the aggressor, though you would have to slow it down.

Do these escalating fees apply to him as well? His case is not clear cut, he must prove his property was damaged. He has pictures but they do not show what he suggests (remember he is claiming foul odors)

There would also be legal costs for him also, but he would probably find it easier to represent himself than you, as you stated you don't speak Thai. Have you also filed a charge against him for assault?. It is also possible he does not pursue the matter because of possible costs and hassle for himself. But remember the possible consequences for you could be worse as being blacklisted could not happen to him, but could happen to you. 

I would guess that the first mediation would be you lose the deposit for not giving notice and unless he could prove the damages you would not have to pay extra costs. I would be interested to know if this is a result you would accept?

Been read I g this thread last two days ,,some good early posts and advice from blackcab.....the thread is making me laugh...Maybe reality will set when op gets his passport taken and cannot leave the country....start to see the costs build up well above 2500 bht then.such an easy situation to sort out with info given .

Question is being asked but still no answer.

You went to Police, they made a call and settled it and you agreed.

Than you go back at take a lock from a neighbour friend and lock the door with your personal borrowed lock after checking out.

Why do you think it is normal or legal to put locks on doors from other people's houses?

Landlord came with a cutter to cut the illegal placed lock on his property and you accuse him of bringing in a weapon?

You checked out, so leave the place and don't even think you own it because you paid rent for the days you stayed there.

Will be a long court case and you will lose much more than the 2300 Thb, which should have payed in the first place.

Like one posters epitath "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you"  This will turn out bad for him, cost a lot of money, and I doubt he will learn from it.  Knew 'shithouse lawyers like him in for military, always rightious.  Good Luck to him, but its a waste of words.    :passifier:

I think I may have to bow out guys. I didn't realize how strong the "how dare you get a police report filed against you instead of paying for fake damages" sentiment was on this thread.

Many expats seem to act like Thais do no wrong or are justified. But a farang makes 1 mistake and the whole case is on him. There is a thing called nuance. 

But let's say I am wrong. God forbid I go to trial and pay 10k instead of 2k for losing, which is not assured. Why that would be an extra $200+! But the court experience surely is worthless for someone who will be here for decades, right? Because I could just pay up any time a Thai raises their voice at me, right?

I've never seen such weakness and cowardice anywhere else. Please do not pretend to mask this as some form of cleverness.

Edited by Hal65

20 hours ago, Hal65 said:

[…] Answer who pushed who […]

Basically we have two grown men who lost their cool and now both suffer from wounded pride.

One is fluent in Thai and can explain his side of the story to the police, which he has already done, and presumably managed to convince them that it was the other party at fault. The other person is here on a tourist visa and a legal case could have implications on their ability to leave or later re-enter Thailand.

There are two strategies, fight it out in court, others have already warned about the potential consequences of this, even if you win, it might be a bittersweet victory because of legal fees and the potential confiscation of your passport while the case is ongoing.

The other strategy is to make a compromise with the landland. Presumably all he wants is acknowledgement that you were in the wrong, just like you want acknowledgement that he was in the wrong.

happylarry above recommended a professional mediator, but my guess is that you just need someone who speaks both Thai and English and can show empathy. Go to the landlord and have the landlord explain the situation to the mediator (in Thai), be sure to have the mediator sympathize with the landlord and then have the mediator prompt you to apologize, which you should then do, and offer a cash settlement, presumably 500 baht would be enough to show that you take full responsibility, and in return, the landlord will cancel the police report.

But the latter requires you to swallow your pride. I would offer to go with you myself to get this solved, but I am not near Pattaya.

On 13/12/2016 at 3:45 PM, Hal65 said:

I think I may have to bow out guys. I didn't realize how strong the "how dare you get a police report filed against you instead of paying for fake damages" sentiment was on this thread.

Many expats seem to act like Thais do no wrong or are justified. But a farang makes 1 mistake and the whole case is on him. There is a thing called nuance. 

But let's say I am wrong. God forbid I go to trial and pay 10k instead of 2k for losing, which is not assured. Why that would be an extra $200+! But the court experience surely is worthless for someone who will be here for decades, right? Because I could just pay up any time a Thai raises their voice at me, right?

I've never seen such weakness and cowardice anywhere else. Please do not pretend to mask this as some form of cleverness.

I think it's called choosing your battles and if 2500 baht has got your back up this much your in for 1 hell of a ride and decades is your forecasted stay in thailand. you want to hope those decades are on your terms.