Have I been given extension of stay until 10 February 2017?

Hello,

I have a current "Visa Extension of Temporary Stay by Reason of Marriage", for the reason of supporting my Thai wife, which expires on 13 January 2017, and have submitted to Immigration the paperwork for a new visa (of the same kind).

Therefore my passport has been stamped by Immigration with:

"Application of stay is under consideration ... must contact this office again in person on 10 February 2017".

Is it okay for my required re-attendance date (10 Feb 2017) to be AFTER the expiry of my current visa (13 Jan 2017)?  

In other words, does the above new stamp allow a further temporarily extension of my stay to run from 13 January to 10 February 2017?

I unfortunately only realised the difference in the above dates once I had left the office, and then I tried to make this enquiry by 'phone to Immigration , but I was unable to make my query understood to them (and my wife is unwilling to try to explain it to them)!.

Regards,

Robert333

Nothing to worry about and perfectly normal practice. You can legally stay in the country until Feb 10th. When you return on the 10th they will give you a new extension of stay stamp with permission to stay until Jan 13th 2018.

FYI your extension (not a visa) hasn't been granted because you support your wife, but because you are married to her.

Hello,

I still have concerns about the date given to me to attend for knowing the result of my visa application, because this date is after the expiry of my current visa. 

This is what happened on the PREVIOUS occasion:

That previous visa was to expire 25 Feb 2016 and having applied for a new visa, the stamp in my passport on that occasion required me to return on 12 Feb 2016, well within the validity of the then visa.

On THIS occasion my visa expires 13 Jan 2017 and having applied for a new visa, the stamp in my passport requires me to return 10 Feb 2017, well BEYOND the expiry of my current visa.

Of course you consider this to be no problem since the stamp gives permission to stay, but if it really depends on just one day, what will happen if something goes wrong (accident, illness, vehicle breakdown, etc) and I find that am unable to go on that date - there would then be no permission to stay in place for when I would next manage to get there - leading to the possibility of deportation.

Therefore I would like ask if 10 Feb 2017 is really the only day on which I can get the result of this visa application, or can I go to Immigration on an earlier date to get the application result?

Regards,

Robert333

Edited by Robert333

14 minutes ago, Robert333 said:

Of course you consider this to be no problem since the stamp gives permission to stay, but if it really depends on just one day, what will happen if something goes wrong (accident, illness, vehicle breakdown, etc) and I find that am unable to go on that date - there would then be no permission to stay in place for when I would next manage to get there - leading to the possibility of deportation.

The date on the stamp is not the date the under consideration period ends. It does not end until you have your extension stamp in your passport.

I have gotten 9 of those stamps since I started getting extension and all them had a date 30 days from when my permit to stay ended.

More than once I didn't get my extension stamp until after that date. This year my extension stamp was done 2 days after the report back date.

Thank you ubonjoe for your response.

What I asked in my previous message was is the 10 Feb 2017 date given to me in the stamp for when I should return to Immigration really the only day on which I can get the result of this visa application, or can I go to Immigration on an earlier date to get the application result?

My previous message also explained why I am concerned.

You wrote:

"It does not end until you have your extension stamp in your passport."

However, the implication in the stamp wording seems to imply otherwise.

You also wrote:

"More than once I didn't get my extension stamp until after that date. This year my extension stamp was done 2 days after the report back date."

Yes, but what if something goes wrong so that you end up going to Immigration after the date shown on the stamp? You comment does not cover that.

Is the 10 Feb 2017 shown on the stamp in my passport really the only day on which I can get the result of this visa application, or can I go to Immigration on an earlier date to get the application result?

Regards,

Robert333

26 minutes ago, Robert333 said:

Thank you ubonjoe for your response.

What I asked in my previous message was is the 10 Feb 2017 date given to me in the stamp for when I should return to Immigration really the only day on which I can get the result of this visa application, or can I go to Immigration on an earlier date to get the application result?

My previous message also explained why I am concerned.

You wrote:

"It does not end until you have your extension stamp in your passport."

However, the implication in the stamp wording seems to imply otherwise.

You also wrote:

"More than once I didn't get my extension stamp until after that date. This year my extension stamp was done 2 days after the report back date."

Yes, but what if something goes wrong so that you end up going to Immigration after the date shown on the stamp? You comment does not cover that.

Is the 10 Feb 2017 shown on the stamp in my passport really the only day on which I can get the result of this visa application, or can I go to Immigration on an earlier date to get the application result?

Regards,

Robert333

There have been many discussions on the forum about the report back date, And immigration has stated that it does not end the under consideration period. People have waited for weeks after the report date to get their extension stamp since the approval was not done yet and immigration would not do a new stamp stating the under consideration period had not ended.

Nothing will happen if you go to immigration after the report date is what was trying to tell you with my example.

You can get it done earlier than the report back date if the approval is done. Best to call immigration to find out if the approval has been received.

Just looked at the stamp that shows the approval date and it was approved a little over 3 weeks before the report back date this year. If we had called immigration earlier than a couple of days before the report date I would of gotten it done earlier. Last year it was done 2 days before the report date.

Thank you ubonjoe for your further reply, and for taking the time and trouble to do so.

That makes it a lot clearer, and of course it is in the prerogative of the authorities to decide what will actually occur in each case.

Thank you.

Regards,

Robert333

4 hours ago, Robert333 said:

Thank you ubonjoe for your further reply, and for taking the time and trouble to do so.

That makes it a lot clearer, and of course it is in the prerogative of the authorities to decide what will actually occur in each case.

Thank you.

Regards,

Robert333

Robert, You could help yourself and other people by using the correct terminology you are applying 

for an extension of permission to stay based on marriage to a Thai national not a Visa or a visa extension.

If this is not your first application for an extension your Visa expired long ago.