Receiving US passport renewal thru the mail

hello,

Just a quick question. I applied for my US passport renewal on Nov. 26th and still have not received it through the mail. Today is day #12. Called the Bangkok embassy today and they didn't have any info only to say it's now on the US side. Is this unusual or does it take longer to get through the mail vs picking up in person. Can anyone shed any light on this situation. 

Many thanks

Tiger, keep checking your mail box, should be in shortly.  Mine, 2-3 years ago, took two weeks, but could be up to 3-4, depending on holidays.

Mduras, I think you're SOL, get the appropriate photos.  When I applied at the Consulate for my new passport, they laid a cut stencil over my photo to check the size, almost but not quite, too large.  FYI, there's several photo shops in the large buildings across Wireless Road where you can get photos.

Ah, even better, see this:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

"Passport photo (See link for detailed requirements; eye glasses are no longer permitted; an onsite photo booth is available, at the U.S. Embassy Bangkok only, for a fee of 150 THB.)"

Mac

tiger99 - Some clarification is needed. Nov 26th was a Sat. You also said "day #12". Being that you posted yesterday did you mean you applied on Dec 2nd? The adult passport renewal service takes two weeks from application submission.

I submitted my adult passport renewal application in-person at US Embassy Bangkok on Dec 1st. I received an automated email today from ACSBKK informing me that my new passport arrived at the embassy. I chose the pre-paid Thai Post EMS return option to my local address. The ACS email said to expect up to one week to receive the new passport in the mail. The email also said that along with the new passport the embassy will return the old passport and include the visa (stamp) transfer request letter for me to give to Thai immigration.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mduras01 said:

About to renew mine, curious too. My photos are 2x1.5 instead of 2x2--totally spaced out on the requirement--will they accept the photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

They will reject it It must be  the dimensions they request Its not expensive Go do it again and tell the person the size you need

1 hour ago, slapout said:

Yes, '' Used to be is over ''

I don't thank so.  7 day turn around at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai. All  details are sent  by secured encryption and your new pp is sent back by diplomatic mail from the US

The US Consulate in Chiang Mai will not mail , you must go back ti get it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DSJPC said:

do US passports really have to go back to US for renewal?...never used to be...I had a passport stolen about 6 yrs. ago and a new one took 3-4 days at BKK Embassy...

Double check that 6 yrs ago - time flies as we age.  Believe only emergency passports have been available directly from Embassy for last 9 years or so.   All normal bio-metric passports have to be made in US and then sent here. 

27 minutes ago, Shot said:

If you fill out the online application, and print it out you will save several days. Hand written takes much longer. I had my new PP in 8 days from BKK. I dropped off and picked up.

Filling out the application before hand does not save any processing time it does help in your time at the counter. The political correct respoens from them is 2 week turn around. Most applicants get their pp back in as little as 6 days to 10 days.

1 minute ago, khwaibah said:

Filling out the application before hand does not save any processing time it does help in your time at the counter. The political correct respoens from them is 2 week turn around. Most applicants get their pp back in as little as 6 days to 10 days.

Online and printed is scanned without delay. Hand written at home, on the bus, etc and presented will delay the application. There is a previous thread on this subject.

3 hours ago, DSJPC said:

do US passports really have to go back to US for renewal?...never used to be...I had a passport stolen about 6 yrs. ago and a new one took 3-4 days at BKK Embassy...

I think now they will give you a temporary passport at the Embassy if you need it fast to get home.

1 minute ago, Shot said:

UTY

I filled out by hand an application presented to the consult employe and 7 days latter I had my new passport. I'm not saying don't fill it out on line what I'm saying is it does not hold the process up if it done by hand.

7 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I think now they will give you a temporary passport at the Embassy if you need it fast to get home.

Temporary passports are issued at either the US Embassy in BKK or the US Consulate in Chiang Mai. If your asking about a replacemnt pp that comes from the US

Edited by khwaibah

20 hours ago, tiger99 said:

hello,

Just a quick question. I applied for my US passport renewal on Nov. 26th and still have not received it through the mail. Today is day #12. Called the Bangkok embassy today and they didn't have any info only to say it's now on the US side. Is this unusual or does it take longer to get through the mail vs picking up in person. Can anyone shed any light on this situation. 

When I did mine a little over a year ago, it was ready for pickup in about a week. Add another week for mail. BUT you have to allow more time for this current period with several US and Thai holidays slowing things down.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

I filled out by hand an application presented to the consult employe and 7 days latter I had my new passport. I'm not saying don't fill it out on line what I'm saying is it does not hold the process up if it done by hand.

2. Complete Form DS-82 online but do not submit it electronically. Overseas applicants must PRINT the completed form and bring it to the appointment. (If you do not have access to the necessary technology, you may obtain a blank copy of the form in our office on your appointment date. Use of the blank version will lengthen processing time.)

• Like 1

Just now, Shot said:

2. Complete Form DS-82 online but do not submit it electronically. Overseas applicants must PRINT the completed form and bring it to the appointment. (If you do not have access to the necessary technology, you may obtain a blank copy of the form in our office on your appointment date. Use of the blank version will lengthen processing time.)

Did not length my application. They also say 2 weeks for your new pp but it only takes an average of 7 days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DSJPC said:

FYI also deleted (01 Jan 2016) the addition of (3x26) in additional pages.  Even with the 128 pages total (50 + 78) in the past still never made even half of the 10 year validity.

Not sure about the Embassy in Bangkok sending your renewal to the U.S.,  I read something about this happening to the British since they are or have sold their Embassy.

You can get a replacement if lost or stolen at the Embassy in a day so why would a renewal have to go to the U.S. unless you have left out something?

I did my renewal a year and a half ago.  They ask if you want it mail or you pick it up. I like taking a day trip into Bangkok for personal reasons and told them I would pick it up. They indicated they would contact me around 2 weeks when time to pick it up. Nothing so I got worry and sent off a email I believe and the response it was ready and pick it up.

3 weeks for ours (via EMS as well)... don't be too concerned that it scans almost right away (around a week after we applied) but then doesn't arrive for weeks.   It seems that in some cases, the EMS labels are scanned first before they are actually mailed (I'd assume that a lot of that time is spent waiting for the passports to arrive from the US).