Just Did My 3rd Visa Run, Officers Had Put Red Ink On My Passport

hi guys,

i just got back from cambodia for my 3rd visa run. it was successful but on my passport the number 3 on my 3rd stamp is in red ink which was not done before. plus they wrote something in thai underneath it. should i be bothered by this? i am going off to penang or kl next month to get a tourist visa. i hope the red ink will not cause me any problem in getting a tourist visa next month. what do u think? anybody had experience this?

Edited by lopburi3

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry guyz it was the visa class that was in red ink. i will edit the topic title if i could edit it.

i forgot to tell you that they have also written two number 20 on both page of my passport that has visa stamps.

here are the picts:

Cashe, was your number 1 stamp on or about the 17th of October?

The writing beneath - the first word is definitely 'remain' or 'left', the word after 11 looks a bit like 'day' so it seems to suggest that after the 4th of Jan that you have 11 days left before the 180 days 'holiday' or proper tourist visa.

hi guys,

i just got back from cambodia for my 3rd visa run. it was successful but on my passport the number 3 on my 3rd stamp is in red ink which was not done before. plus they wrote something in thai underneath it. should i be bothered by this? i am going off to penang or kl next month to get a tourist visa. i hope the red ink will not cause me any problem in getting a tourist visa next month. what do u think? anybody had experience this?

January 4 will be a VERY busy in KL and Penang with thousands of people likely to be applying for tourist visas. If it's important that you stay in Thailand after January 4, why might want to think about going before Christmas to secure your visa. How will you find a flight and accommodation on January 4?

Edited by tropo

The writing beneath - the first word is definitely 'remain' or 'left', the word after 11 looks a bit like 'day' so it seems to suggest that after the 4th of Jan that you have 11 days left before the 180 days 'holiday' or proper tourist visa.

Agreed, my missus looked at this too. It looks like it says "11 days left" his writing was not that clear and there is a chance it could be something else.

Edited by bmanly

Yes, it would be usefull to know the date of his first entry (after 1 october).

The "11 days left" note looks indeed to make sense.

Countdown has begun... I stick to a logical interpretation : how come a guy with a "tourist visa" would be less "tourist" than a guy with "visa exemption"... ?

They said it very clearly : you can't be a "tourist" in Thailand more than 6 month per year.

So, i still believe that 3x30 days of visa exemption + tourist visa, and "play it again sam" over and over, won't work.

you can't be a "tourist" in Thailand more than 6 month per year.
Of course, you can. It is those who cannot be away from Thailand for more than a couple of days and therefore go to a neighbouring country for their tourist visas who fall under suspicion that they might not be real tourists but instead might be working illegally in Thailand.

If you are a genuine tourist, get a double-entry tourist visa in your home country: 6 months in Thailand with one visa run. Go home for a month or so, apply for a new double-entry tourist visa. Another 6 months in Thailand with one visa run. You have a total of 11 months in Thailand as a tourist within a 12-month period.

Genuine tourists are expected to have a home – outside Thailand – to which they return every once in while.

---------------

Maestro

Of course, you can. It is those who cannot be away from Thailand for more than a couple of days and therefore go to a neighbouring country for their tourist visas who fall under suspicion that they might not be real tourists but instead might be working illegally in Thailand.

If you are a genuine tourist, get a double-entry tourist visa in your home country: 6 months in Thailand with one visa run. Go home for a month or so, apply for a new double-entry tourist visa. Another 6 months in Thailand with one visa run. You have a total of 11 months in Thailand as a tourist within a 12-month period.

Genuine tourists are expected to have a home – outside Thailand – to which they return every once in while.

---------------

Maestro

Maestro, you've summed it up nicely. Tourists have homes outside Thailand. Mine is only about a 78,000 baht round trip away. Well, with devaluation of the dollar, maybe 72,000 including air fare, lodging, visa purchase, Western food, etc.

And when I insisted on taking two weeks to make a visa run, my employer did not understand. As if they could imagine living 11 time zones from their loved ones; as if they would fly home without seeing family.

---------------

Maestro

Maestro, you've summed it up nicely. Tourists have homes outside Thailand. Mine is only about a 78,000 baht round trip away. Well, with devaluation of the dollar, maybe 72,000 including air fare, lodging, visa purchase, Western food, etc.

And when I insisted on taking two weeks to make a visa run, my employer did not understand. As if they could imagine living 11 time zones from their loved ones; as if they would fly home without seeing family.

employment with tourist visa ? hum ??

i arrived here oct 20th midnight. i did my first border run with a friend last nov. 8 then 2nd border was yesterday. yes, a thai friend told me that it means i can still extend up to 11 days after my visa expire. she works in a language school as a receptionist and goes to MOE to process some MOE letter for students who needs to get NON-Ed visa. So she knows a thing or two. She said I can either do a border run or just get an extension at the immigration here.

TRIPO - i don't know yet, im thinking of penang, kl and singapore but maybe singapore i have a friend who knows someone from there.

MAESTRO - my home country is philippines, i cannot get a double tourist entry visa even if i have the money. thats why im going to try to get one at malaysia or singapore. :o

i arrived here oct 20th midnight. i did my first border run with a friend last nov. 8 then 2nd border was yesterday.

That would indeed leave you with 11 days remaining out of 90 days were you to stay in Thailand for the entire period of your current entry stamp. Note that Thai immigrations has jumped the gun a bit by writing down 11 days left as there is nothing to say that you will use the entire duration of the current entry stamp, in which case 11 days would be inaccurate.

Many times i have said on this site, dont wait until the 3 visa runs before getting a tourist visa, get it now, dont wait until the deadline when there will be many many farangs in the same situation.

Keep away from the crowd on this one.

i arrived here oct 20th midnight. i did my first border run with a friend last nov. 8 then 2nd border was yesterday.

That would indeed leave you with 11 days remaining out of 90 days were you to stay in Thailand for the entire period of your current entry stamp. Note that Thai immigrations has jumped the gun a bit by writing down 11 days left as there is nothing to say that you will use the entire duration of the current entry stamp, in which case 11 days would be inaccurate.

i am sorry, i don't quite understand that. you mean after my visa expire i can still extend for 11 days right? or you mean after my visa expire, i cannot use the entire 11 days? is that it?

Edited by cashe

If you leave and try to return with another entry without visa you will receive a stay of 11 days. We have no confirmation that this is how it will work yet but it appears to be the case.

i see. thanks lopburi. that clear things out. i might take the advice of rocky. thats if i can get a ticket within the month. i am contacting njbookstore to confirm me if i can still get a tourist visa with my status right now. anybody have their number? thank you.

You know what this all reminding me of? The con artists who trick cashiers into making them give incorrect change by swapping out a 20 and a 50 or a 100. Running the numbers this way and that until the cashier is so befuddled by the exchange, they end up handing over cash incorrectly. I wonder if the same astute con artist could go to the Imm. official and say, for example, I have 11 days marked down as left to go, however, I'm departing before my 30 days are up so can I have those 11 back plus the additional ones I have for leaving earlier?" followed the next day with "I'm coming back to Thailand before I was planning to so I'd like to give back the 11 days but claim back 2 days from the earlier total because I've entered before I thought I was going to. Could you put down the number of days I have left as 28?" followed by a departure from Thailand the following day, "Yes, It's me again. I'm sorry, but I have to leave Thailand unexpectantly. Now, I have 28 listed on my passport, so I'm hoping you'll give me back those 28 days plus the 30 I came in with yesterday on that new stamp, but I'm not using because I'm leaving today unexpectedly." Next thing you know, he's got the number 58 written in his passport where previously he had 11. Or something akin to all the above. With these number games they're playing, I see opportunity for a skillful manipulator to turn things all around on a hoodwinked Imm. official... :o

You know what this all reminding me of? The con artists who trick cashiers into making them give incorrect change by swapping out a 20 and a 50 or a 100. Running the numbers this way and that until the cashier is so befuddled by the exchange, they end up handing over cash incorrectly. I wonder if the same astute con artist could go to the Imm. official and say, for example, I have 11 days marked down as left to go, however, I'm departing before my 30 days are up so can I have those 11 back plus the additional ones I have for leaving earlier?" followed the next day with "I'm coming back to Thailand before I was planning to so I'd like to give back the 11 days but claim back 2 days from the earlier total because I've entered before I thought I was going to. Could you put down the number of days I have left as 28?" followed by a departure from Thailand the following day, "Yes, It's me again. I'm sorry, but I have to leave Thailand unexpectantly. Now, I have 28 listed on my passport, so I'm hoping you'll give me back those 28 days plus the 30 I came in with yesterday on that new stamp, but I'm not using because I'm leaving today unexpectedly." Next thing you know, he's got the number 58 written in his passport where previously he had 11. Or something akin to all the above. With these number games they're playing, I see opportunity for a skillful manipulator to turn things all around on a hoodwinked Imm. official... :o

SrirachaJohn - Yeh. It is going to be chaos at immigration counters. I have said before on this forum that sure do not want to be behind one of these cases in the immigrationb queue. I shall be there all day unless I get arrested for losing my cool.

"I hope it all works out for you, cashe. Heed rockys advice, however."

Indeed. Hope it all works out. The 11 days will put you right smack in the middle fo the crowd. I predict they will be uptight and feeling overwhelmed. Hoepfully this causes a backlash fromt he IO's who raise such a stink that they decide the rules are unenforceable. But not like I'd bet on that either.

I placed my bet when I booked my pre -Xmas flight home to get my biz visa. So enforce it or not, I'll be armed with the proper doc...and thankfully no more wasted one-day-a-month on a bus doing the visa run thing. And besides, I've already bought every DVD Mae Sai / Tachilek has to offer !

So.... exiting the country going into Burma the guy was giving my passport some extra scrutiny. I told him in THai not to worry, "I know, I know... I've bought a ticket home where I'll be getting the proper visa again like I used to have." He followed up with a "This isn't good to do like you've been doing. YOu shouldn't do this." Yikes! He could just be following orders, or expressing his true feelings.

On the way back into Thailand, the entry IO was friendly, but still gave my passport the close inspection. When I told him I had the ticket he told me that was great. He then stamped my book, smiled, and even wai'd me as he handed it back! Friendliest guy at immigration ever.

2 friends (one from Germany and one from the USA) who recently arrived for a 2 week holiday entered Thailand initially on the 30 day visa exemption stamp. They left Thailand for a short visit to Cambodia and returned to Thailand on a 2nd 30 day visa exemption stamp.

Both showed me their visas, and neither had any numbers or notes written in their passports indicating the number of stays.

Thai Immigration seems to be inconsistent in notating visa stamps, or maybe there is a method to their madness.

2 friends (one from Germany and one from the USA) who recently arrived for a 2 week holiday entered Thailand initially on the 30 day visa exemption stamp. They left Thailand for a short visit to Cambodia and returned to Thailand on a 2nd 30 day visa exemption stamp.

Both showed me their visas, and neither had any numbers or notes written in their passports indicating the number of stays.

Thai Immigration seems to be inconsistent in notating visa stamps, or maybe there is a method to their madness.

they might just start it if there are many recent stamps

Did these people fly to Cambodia, or do an overland visit?

thank you guys. i'm crossing my fingers.

that had happen to me too. on my 2nd 30 day stamp, no number or anything but on the airport stamp they've put number 1.

why is nobody applying for a tourist visa after the 2nd VOA?!

then the embassies and consulates around thailand are certainly not overrun yet ...

and one would still have a spare VOA to be on the safe side ...

or just trying to postpone spending satangs?