Travellers cheques

Casanova666

5 hours ago, champers said:

It is horrendously expensive to cash them now - 150 Baht per cheque. If you have high denomination cheques that is not so bad. I suggest bringing cash and keeping it in a safe or deposit box at your hotel.

Surely Travellers' cheques went out when credit cards arrived.

Or you can use Travellers Express where you get two cards with separate PINs, and can cancel one on line if it goes missing.

7 hours ago, champers said:

It is horrendously expensive to cash them now - 150 Baht per cheque. If you have high denomination cheques that is not so bad. I suggest bringing cash and keeping it in a safe or deposit box at your hotel.

Wouldn't exactly call 150 Bt. "Horendously expensive". From what I read on here, making an ATM withdrawel with a foreign card costs more than that?

A $100 denominated TC will cost 150 Baht to cash.

Most ATMs will allow a single debit of 20,000 Baht and the withdrawal charge is 200 Baht plus you normally get a slightly higher exchange rate or at least the same as with TC. If you cashed the equivalent in Travelers checks the fee would be 6 checks x 150 Baht or 900 Baht total.

I used to always carry TC when I travelled but because of the cashing fee going from 33 Bath to 150 I use the aTM machine or carry cash.

I dont know of any type of Traveller check that comes in higher denominations. If they did say at $500 it might be worth it but then you have some banks not wanting to deal with them.

Travelers' cheques?   They were around when Jesus Christ was wearing short pants.

There are far better ways to move cash in 2016.

I use cards, mainly for hotels, but also carry cash, most in a money belt under my clothes, and about a day's spend in a neck pouch, small money Iin a buttoned hip pocket.

I carry a small laminated card, several in different bags, with card numbers (coded for safety), with emergency numbers in case of loss or theft, and that info is also readily available online. 

Never had a problem.

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition

4 years ago I cashed traveller's cheques and it was about 4 per cent  charge. Don't know when this one hundred fifty baht fee was introduced. Must be new. ATM's are 200 baht here and about five dollars for a total of about  400 baht  back home for each withdrawl. It costs  a lot to withdraw from ATM's in Thailand, about eight dollars per withdrawl.

Yes they are still in use, I sometimes get American Express.

The large denominations are best as you have to pay 150baht to cash each cheque.  Best to order in advance as large denominations are popular.

Lost one once and had no trouble getting refund.

Outside of Bangkok/tourist areas you will probably need to go to a provincial city main branch to get them changed, as I have been unable (on 3 different occasions in 3 different banks) to get them changed in small town/sub-branches.

American Express office Thailand is a few minutes walk from Ari BTS station on Phahonyothin Road.

Edited by Enoon

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Most ATMs will allow a single debit of 20,000 Baht and the withdrawal charge is 200 Baht plus you normally get a slightly higher exchange rate or at least the same as with TC. If you cashed the equivalent in Travelers checks the fee would be 6 checks x 150 Baht or 900 Baht total.

I used to always carry TC when I travelled but because of the cashing fee going from 33 Bath to 150 I use the aTM machine or carry cash.

I dont know of any type of Traveller check that comes in higher denominations. If they did say at $500 it might be worth it but then you have some banks not wanting to deal with them.

Amex £200 largest denomination available from UK Post Office.

Edited by Enoon

10 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Travelers' cheques?   They were around when Jesus Christ was wearing short pants.

There are far better ways to move cash in 2016.

I use cards, mainly for hotels, but also carry cash, most in a money belt under my clothes, and about a day's spend in a neck pouch, small money Iin a buttoned hip pocket.

I carry a small laminated card, several in different bags, with card numbers (coded for safety), with emergency numbers in case of loss or theft, and that info is also readily available online. 

Never had a problem.

I think Travellers Cheques are made for you.

13 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I can get £500 Travellers Cheques from Lloyds, and as long as you have an account, you get them for 0% commission.

I did once have  some stolen and was able to get the money back. Cash doesn't do that!  Hotel safes are not always so safe!

Years ago, they were good when the encashing charge was only 33 baht, plus they were a slightly higher exchange rate than cash. I was also avoiding some expensive charges on my UK debit card at the UK end, 2% plus a fixed fee. Also 20,000 baht means you need a withdrawal limit of over £400. Smaller withdrawals means more 200 baht charges.

Modern times, TT exchanges offer better cash rates, TCs are expensive to cash at the Thai end and many kiosks won't even handle them. I got a local account anyhow.

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I think Travelleins Cheques are made for you.

I don't think so.

VCautious I may be but you won't hear of me losing money to theft, and If a CC Is somehow lost, at least I can make a call the Instant I realize.

How many do you know who don't carry a copy of their PP photo page, either hard copy or on their 'phone.  Most I suspect, and we often read on TV of the difficulties they have when their PP Is lost, or washed.

I'm a product/victim of my background, everything Is checked and double checked, fail safe systems are In place.

Unable to edit typos or triple quote

Edited by F4UCorsair
above

22 hours ago, Thaidream said:

We always bring $500 Amex cheques and have never had any problem changing them at banks in Hua Hin. Much cheaper than using ATM.

On 12/15/2016 at 2:54 PM, elgenon said:

Yes, expensive to use and my home bank warned me in the future they may not cash unused ones. Now use cash and credit card for hotels and in case of emergency.

Is this true? I have some travellers cheques that are 10 or 15 years old, always assumed I'd be able to keep them for emergencies.