Bars/HappyHours....New, New Lows......

KhonKaenKowboy

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised!  They tried to scam me on the first and only visit some 5 years ago.

I had a few beers and got something to eat.  When presented the check bin, there was a more food on it that I had ordered.  I told them I'd  pay for what I ordered and no more.

They were not happy.  They said other people at table eat that food. I told them that those people are not my friends, didn't come with me nor do I know their names.

It got quite heated at one stage but they let me go.  As I was leaving I spotted these 'other' people and went back to where I had drinks and food and advised the staff that the people who didn't pay are just around the corner.

They weren't the least bit interested. Seems the 'other' people were part of the scam.

Never been back since

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2016 at 8:27 PM, balo said:

You live in the wrong city mate , Pattaya should provide you with what you're looking for : very cute girls ,  entertainment , drama and a bit of bar fighting mixed with some ladyboy attacks. And you can watch it all from a bar stool every night.   Forget Chiang Mai :crazy:

Pattaya? Isn't that the 'hell hole' of planet Earth?

5 hours ago, piewarmer said:

I hear there is now two brown envelopes required monthly from the bars in Chiang Mai.

Number of envelopes=number of laws you wish to break.

Try it in your home country and enjoy your long relaxing holiday behind bars of a different kind!

8 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Number of envelopes=number of laws you wish to break.

Try it in your home country and enjoy your long relaxing holiday behind bars of a different kind!

You don't seem to know how its done here , its called extortion.

The thread has drifted far from the topic of bars and happy hours in Chiang Mai.

I'll try to bring it back on subject:  The long decline in the Nimmanhamin area has concluded with a fall off a cliff.  With the possible exceptions of Warm-Up, the much smaller Rush Bar, and soi 6 bars, there isn't much.  Even Lism, never popular with foreigners but very popular with young Thais, is closed.  Nimmanhamin is a decent place for  a mellow dinner and drinks, but not for nightlife with lights, music, pretties, dancing, etc.

I've wandered around Santitham a bit and all I've found worth mentioning are Oxide and T-bar.  They are both fun, but Santitham used to have much more.  Am I missing something or is that area dying as well?

Milk Club, south of Mahidol road and east of the Hang Dong highway, is fun but not the easiest place to get to for those of us who don't like to drive when we're out drinking.

I'll leave it to others to comment on Loi Kroh, Zoe and the places along the river. 

Any suggestions on alternative bars and areas are welcome.

8 hours ago, heybruce said:

I've wandered around Santitham a bit and all I've found worth mentioning are Oxide and T-bar.  They are both fun, but Santitham used to have much more.  Am I missing something or is that area dying as well?

Milk Club, south of Mahidol road and east of the Hang Dong highway, is fun but not the easiest place to get to for those of us who don't like to drive when we're out drinking.

I'll leave it to others to comment on Loi Kroh, Zoe and the places along the river. 

Any suggestions on alternative bars and areas are welcome.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm kind of enjoying White House near Fort Kawila.. they play Thai pop songs from 10-20 years ago (give or take) so attract more 30-something and 40-something people, but who are extremely committed to relive their youth with a lot of dancing and  general merriment.  

It's often full though with a waiting list to get in, so if you have some time to kill in that area then you can warm up at Suran Bar, in between the Iron Bridge and White House.   Smaller place in a wooden building, but inexpensive and pretty good. Live music and screens showing sports (football mostly, when that's in season)

And all the usual riverside pub-restaurants keep going strong of course.  As is Tamnan Folk on Chiang Klan road.

7 hours ago, kalbo123 said:

Cheapest Beer in town, all you can drink beer buffet from 17.00-2100, Chang Beer, 89 Baht!!

At LUX (former Fabrique).Draft Beer, large ice buckets, 20 baht.

Cheers.

Thanks, interesting info.

If you don't mind, a few questions:  Is it mostly Thai, mostly foreign, or a mix?  Do they have pretties?  Do they have beer other than Chang?  Is there live music, and if so, is it usually pretty good, or at least tolerable (one adjusts expectations on live music in Chiang Mai)?

In general, is it a fun place to hang out?

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

If you don't mind, a few questions:  Is it mostly Thai, mostly foreign, or a mix?  Do they have pretties?  Do they have beer other than Chang?  Is there live music, and if so, is it usually pretty good, or at least tolerable (one adjusts expectations on live music in Chiang Mai)?

It may be an idea to take a wander down there yourself to see for yourself

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It may be an idea to take a wander down there yourself to see for yourself

It's not close to my usual hang-outs, so I want to cover the basics before I go there.  If it's a backpacker bar I'll pass.  If it's place with pretties, cold beer and more Thais than westerners, I'll check it out.

8 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Don't tell anyone, but I'm kind of enjoying White House near Fort Kawila.. they play Thai pop songs from 10-20 years ago (give or take) so attract more 30-something and 40-something people, but who are extremely committed to relive their youth with a lot of dancing and  general merriment.  

It's often full though with a waiting list to get in, so if you have some time to kill in that area then you can warm up at Suran Bar, in between the Iron Bridge and White House.   Smaller place in a wooden building, but inexpensive and pretty good. Live music and screens showing sports (football mostly, when that's in season)

And all the usual riverside pub-restaurants keep going strong of course.  As is Tamnan Folk on Chiang Klan road.

Now you have done it.  I'll have to find a new place, preferably with music from more like 30 years ago.

9 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

screens showing sports (football mostly, when that's in season)
Thanks for warning me. I won't be going there. If people want to watch foot bon they have several channels on tv dedicated to that, so why does every bar think they have to put that on, bah humbug. I'd be happy with something like WETV channel 4 for something to watch.

1 hour ago, balo said:

89 baht for a Chang ? Why do they call it Happy Hour ?   In Pattaya you can get a beer for as low as 45 baht during "happy hours" 

Read it again. He didn't call it Happy hour,  and he didn't say 89b for  'a' Chang.

2 hours ago, balo said:

89 baht for a Chang ? Why do they call it Happy Hour ?   In Pattaya you can get a beer for as low as 45 baht during "happy hours" 

I assume you are referring it to this:

" Cheapest Beer in town, all you can drink beer buffet from 17.00-2100, Chang Beer, 89 Baht!!"

As I read it, it's all the Chang Beer you can drink from 1700 to 2100, six hours, for 89 baht. 

All you can drink Heineken buffets for 99 baht were once common in Chiang Mai, but have gone away.  Maybe beer buffets are returning.

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

I assume you are referring it to this:

" Cheapest Beer in town, all you can drink beer buffet from 17.00-2100, Chang Beer, 89 Baht!!"

As I read it, it's all the Chang Beer you can drink from 1700 to 2100, six hours, for 89 baht. 

All you can drink Heineken buffets for 99 baht were once common in Chiang Mai, but have gone away.  Maybe beer buffets are returning.

4 hours by my calculation. Still a great deal.

Tonight I saw a restaurant in the night bazaar offering 3 small Changs for 99b (no time limit)! Time for him to throw in the towel, I think.

58 minutes ago, Chiengmaijoe said:

4 hours by my calculation. Still a great deal.

Tonight I saw a restaurant in the night bazaar offering 3 small Changs for 99b (no time limit)! Time for him to throw in the towel, I think.

You're correct, my bad.  Still a heck of a deal.  If only it weren't Chang.

On 6/7/2017 at 11:46 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

According to people that don't know anything about Pattaya.

Been there, done that, a few times many years ago......and unless it has changed drastically for the better I'll stand behind what I have said.

On ‎09‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 6:45 AM, dingdongrb said:

Been there, done that, a few times many years ago......and unless it has changed drastically for the better I'll stand behind what I have said.

Depends on what you are calling "better".

If you mean a slowly declining nite scene, then yes, it's vanishing from Beach and Second- not quickly, but gradually. Moving to Buakhao and side roads, but unfortunately that road just isn't very suitable for a bar beer strip, as too narrow and no pavements, whatever.

Even Walking Street isn't what it used to be.

If you mean infrastructure wise, no real change in over 20 years, except for the atrocious beach promenade.

If you like malls, you are in luck. Malls all over the place, and more to come.

Regardless, the night life is the best in Thailand, at least for now. That isn't to say that other places will become better, just that Pattaya will get worse in that regard.

The way it's going, I can see LOS becoming like Singapore for night life ie, no one will go to LOS specifically for it anymore.

Archived