Phuket taxi driver yet to charged after crashing into back of parked 18-wheeler

snoop1130

Phuket taxi driver yet to charged after crashing into back of parked 18-wheeler

The Phuket News

1481795672_1-org.jpg

The driver of the taxi crashed into the back of the parked truck while trying to overtake on the inside lane. Photo: Phuket Public Group

PHUKET:-- Police have yet to press charges against the driver of a green-plate taxi that smashed into the back of a parked truck yesterday (Dec 14) leaving the driver and his passengers, two Chinese tourists, needing hospital treatment.

Phuket City Police Lt Col Surachart Thongyai, who responded to the incident, confirmed to The Phuket News today (Dec 15) that the injured parties are still receiving treatment at Vachira Hospital.

“We are waiting to question all those involved in this accident. No charges have been filed against anyone at this time,” he said.

Lt Col Surachart confirmed that he was notified of an accident at 5:40am yesterday where it was reported that a green-plate taxi had crashed into the back of an 18-wheeler truck parked on the hard shoulder of bypass road.

The taxi driver, Mr Kittinan Chankratok, 23, and his two Chinese passengers, Mr Lu Ling, 27, and Ms Lu Yan, also 27, were injured as a result of the accident.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-taxi-driver-yet-to-charged-after-crashing-into-back-of-parked-18-wheeler-60248.php#rt8YXr8zZmETijIO.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-15

HOW ABOUT DANGEROUS DRIVING FOR STARTERS, driving without due care and attention (sorry they not know what the means ).ok MR PLOD for christ sake think of something. lorry driver? no lights? parking ilegally, NAH sorry this is Thailand

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

HOW ABOUT DANGEROUS DRIVING FOR STARTERS, driving without due care and attention (sorry they not know what the means ).ok MR PLOD for christ sake think of something. lorry driver? no lights? parking ilegally, NAH sorry this is Thailand

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

Mind numbing how the police think here.....it's like these dolts havn't progressed beyond grade 2 !!

For Christ's sake, think, don't post like dolts who have not progressed beyond Grade 2.  The lack of charges so far is nothing to do with "this being Thailand" or the police being unable to think of a charge or their being uneducated "dolts", it's due to the driver still being in hospital receiving treatment for severe injuries.

1 minute ago, gdgbb said:

For Christ's sake, think, don't post like dolts who have not progressed beyond Grade 2.  The lack of charges so far is nothing to do with "this being Thailand" or the police being unable to think of a charge or their being uneducated "dolts", it's due to the driver still being in hospital receiving treatment for severe injuries.

Severe injuries..... How sad... If he drove more responsible he would not be in Hospital with " Severe Injuries".....

1 minute ago, robertthebruce said:

Severe injuries..... How sad... If he drove more responsible he would not be in Hospital with " Severe Injuries".....

Quite right but despite your sarcasm it's still the reason that charges haven't been made yet and because of your sarcasm you missed my point, I wasn't offering him any undue sympathy.

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

Well, it's not as if the driver is going to run away any time soon.  facepalm.gif

11 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Well, it's not as if the driver is going to run away any time soon.  facepalm.gif

Really I have known of injured people legging it from hospital just to avoid the subsequent actions of the Police, so that statement may be true but it could happen .Especially whjen you consider the charges and the subsequent insurance claims etc, a lost driver would impede the legal process and subsequent payouts.

54 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Really I have known of injured people legging it from hospital just to avoid the subsequent actions of the Police, so that statement may be true but it could happen .Especially whjen you consider the charges and the subsequent insurance claims etc, a lost driver would impede the legal process and subsequent payouts.

Why would a lost driver impede the insurance pay-out?

I think the full blame will be put on the trailer truck driver for having parked the weird thing in the only lane (hard shoulder, extreme left) that can be used at all times for passing others at ultra- high speed

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why would a lost driver impede the insurance pay-out?

Strangely enough, in Thailand it does. I was involved in an incident where a bus ran over a dozen or so people in BKK.

The investigating officer informed us (the other victims, me and my lawyer), that the investigation could not proceed, until the driver was found. And with an open investigation there could be no insurance payout and or other settlement. He also told us that, most likely the bus owner had instructed the driver to disappear for exactly that reason.

46 minutes ago, fstarbkk said:

Strangely enough, in Thailand it does. I was involved in an incident where a bus ran over a dozen or so people in BKK.

The investigating officer informed us (the other victims, me and my lawyer), that the investigation could not proceed, until the driver was found. And with an open investigation there could be no insurance payout and or other settlement. He also told us that, most likely the bus owner had instructed the driver to disappear for exactly that reason.

That was just a cop-out.

The police can investigate and determine the taxi driver was at fault. And that is all that is needed for the insurance of the taxi to pay out.

Your situation is completely different from a standard car accident.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

That was just a cop-out.

The police can investigate and determine the taxi driver was at fault. And that is all that is needed for the insurance of the taxi to pay out.

Your situation is completely different from a standard car accident.

You asked a question - I answered It.

But it turns out you are the expert and knew the correct answer all along and were just waiting for someone to give you a chance to prove it to the world. Good for you!

I did not see anywhere , it states the driver had broken legs or is that a supposedly educated guess, and I assume in your hi-so position you have heard of wheel chairs. if niot learn a little bit about them , they are designed for people who are unable to walk to move about normally with someone else helping but they can be propelled by the person sitting.

And as for the insurance you have had the answer, which is common practice with THAI insurers.

26 minutes ago, fstarbkk said:

You asked a question - I answered It.

But it turns out you are the expert and knew the correct answer all along and were just waiting for someone to give you a chance to prove it to the world. Good for you!

You did not answer the question, but came with an example in a completely different situation.

In the situation at hand there is no reason at all why insurance would not pay out.

I just wanted to make a comment here.

I do not know why the driver has not been charged but if he was at fault lets hope he is, he probably does have some injuries and that may be the reason but the point that some are trying to make is that they fear he will either run off or not be charged, both of which are of little interest to me.

The key issue is the bad driving that those of us who live here see on a daily basis and we are very quick to comment and rant at the drivers and rightly so. However they are enabled by a totally defunct enforcement system which is underfunded and ineffective and until that is put right we can expect to see regular reports of rolling buses, flying minivans, drunk driving, colour blindness and general carnage. While a traffic cop can make more money from running scams than doing his paid job nothing will change and that is why road fines and penalties need to be set at a level where commissions to the cops and the cost to the driver bring people into line. Once people feel the risk is too high then they will change their approach. Where I live around 90% of motorcyclists wear no helmets and around 25% of all bikes are without front, rear or both sets of lights which means road fatalities are in the top rankings in the world and not one local gives a toss.

Good luck changing that mentality but a good place would be in their pocket - for real and not some token gesture to the cop.

So why waste your time ranting on the individual stories, there will be plenty more to come and the more money you have the worse you can behave so do not be surprised shocked or mortified when a rich bitch or some daddies boy keeps getting away with it.

Save your energy for something more positive.

Merry Christmas

55 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You did not answer the question, but came with an example in a completely different situation.

In the situation at hand there is no reason at all why insurance would not pay out.

Completely different situation... Oh, you mean because the car that ran me over was a bit bigger than the taxi in this story? Okay, I guess that must be it then :smile:

Just because you do not see the reason, doesn't mean there isn't one.

6 hours ago, fstarbkk said:

Maybe you did not see the hand waiting for some money to get them start the search for the driver ? :wink:

22 hours ago, bokningar said:

Maybe you did not see the hand waiting for some money to get them start the search for the driver ? :wink:

No worries, I had a good lawyer here and another one, coaching this one, back in the States. We recovered 10 times more money from the bus company, than any of the other 11 victims, in the end. They never saw us coming! ?

Today I was in a line of traffic when an ambulance went past neat Laguna- tucked right behind him blowing off the traffic was a taxi- I really wish I had see this prick n a ditch further up the road- they act with impunity and no one has the balls to bring them into check.

Edited by Psimbo

Plenty of times i have seen heavy vehicles parked on the side of a busy road with no reflective triangle and orange cones on the road behind them to warn oncoming traffic they are parked there

This is standard road safety practice in most countries and probably here to and if not done the heavy vehicle driver is responsible for any accident 

The only warning device for a stopped heavy vehicle i have seen here is a tree branch thrown on the road 50 to 150 metres before you come to the vehicle

No white painted rear end and the lack of reflectors or reflective tape makes them very hard to see especially at night or when its raining hard