Yorkies Pork Pies

rak sa_ngop

Yorkie's large pork pies are Bt 200 each ... whata rippoff !

Naka.

I agree yorkies costs have been going up over the last few years a little

to much.

I find it hard to pay for there large breakfast anymore, its just to dear.

The quality of food and there marketing is great. but cost not so good.

Friendship have a new line in, made by a company called Euro Gourmet............they do Melton Mowbray pies at 180 baht for a big one and scotch eggs they also do 6 types of sausage, breakfast, cumberland, apple and leek and 3 german types........not cheap though, think the sausage worked out at 400baht a kilo.

Naka.

correct, pies in Thailand should not cost the same as pies in UK, the is a 1-4 ratio for most things produced locally, only greedy falangs rip people off, these pies should retail for about 30baht, but they ask a price and people are willing to pay, if only they knew

Friendship have a new line in, made by a company called Euro Gourmet............they do Melton Mowbray pies at 180 baht for a big one and scotch eggs they also do 6 types of sausage, breakfast, cumberland, apple and leek and 3 german types........not cheap though, think the sausage worked out at 400baht a kilo.

carefore have great sausages and burgers at 140-180baht/kilo, they are fantastic and properly priced

carefore have great sausages and burgers at 140-180baht/kilo, they are fantastic and properly priced

I caught the sausage on offer at 100 a kilo a few weeks back, bought 5 kilo of the country and 5 kilo of the plain pork and froze it............yeah the burgers aint bad either.

Naka.

correct, pies in Thailand should not cost the same as pies in UK, the is a 1-4 ratio for most things produced locally, only greedy falangs rip people off, these pies should retail for about 30baht, but they ask a price and people are willing to pay, if only they knew

Want to talk about a ripoff , try Simon's Fish & Chips in Jomtien - they even have a sign by the cashier explaning why they are ripping you off on the prices. :o

I've tried yorkies, Pats and simple simon but i've found the best to be sold in a tiny stall on beach road between soi 7 & 8 everthing is B90 and they are big serve, i especially like their pasties & sausage rolls

I have eaten in the other places mentioned (except Jack & Tars, will try it next time), have to agree with your post, the best pies by far, I have had, have been from this little stall, Lou.

Naka.

Want to talk about a ripoff , try Simon's Fish & Chips in Jomtien - they even have a sign by the cashier explaning why they are ripping you off on the prices. :o

I think I just saw a Yorkies Pork Pie for sale at Friendship Market for 60 baht, not 200 baht.

As far as Simon's, yes their Icelandic cod is expensive (230 I think for a small portion, chips, and peas), but I must say this was absolutely the best fried cod I have ever tasted (but I am a Yank so don't listen to me). And also enough food unless you're famished.

Edited by Jingthing

Naka.

I think I just saw a Yorkies Pork Pie for sale at Friendship Market for 60 baht, not 200 baht.

As far as Simon's, yes their Icelandic cod is expensive (230 I think for a small portion, chips, and peas), but I must say this was absolutely the best fried cod I have ever tasted (but I am a Yank so don't listen to me). And also enough food unless you're famished.

If the imported cod fish tasted this good, I would hardly call it a "ripoff".

This kind of talk should teach us that many tasteless, cheap Charlies want everything in life for free and eat mostly garbage to avoid paying a fair price for decent food.

I certainly don't want to emulate them! :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Naka.

Want to talk about a ripoff , try Simon's Fish & Chips in Jomtien - they even have a sign by the cashier explaning why they are ripping you off on the prices. :D

This kind of talk should teach us that many tasteless, cheap Charlies want everything in life for free and eat mostly garbage to avoid paying a fair price for decent food.

Like I said.................if you only knew

would you say the same if you found that the 200baht pork pie you are happy to pay for was produced for 30baht, or the 90baht pork pie was produced for 10baht ?????????? :o

There are many cheap pigs in Thailand

I don't think many retail customers spend much time analyzing the cost factors in their purchase. Rather, they decide whether the price charged is good value for them for the item. I don't know how to make a pork pie, so if I want to eat one (I don't actually) I will be buying one at whatever price is asked.

I think I read once that a Starbucks 4 dollar latte costs 20 cents to produce, but I don't buy it because 4 bucks is just too much to pay for a cup of hot milk and coffee. Many disagree.

I am certain the cod I had at Simons is imported fish. Don't know if frozen or not, but if frozen, surprising it could taste that good.

Edited by Jingthing

[

I certainly don't want to emulate them! :o

I totally agree. There are so many people who use our place, that say "I can't really stand Thai beer, but I drink it because it's cheap" I certainly would not drink or eat something I did not like because it was cheap. In fact if anything, I go out of my way to avoid cheap produce. :D

There are many cheap pigs in Thailand

You've just summed it up in one, except you got the pigs wrong. The cheap pigs in Thailand are the ones that expect to pay 35 Baht for something produced for 30 baht. In fact you sound like one of the ones who came here because it was cheap, produced by low paid labour forces, so that the real fat pigs could laze in a life of luxury for a fraction of what it should cost.

Just remember, it's not the general foodstuffs that are dirt cheap here, it's the people that produce it. I know Yorkies, and I suspect they are the same as my establishment, where I pay my staff very good wages to produce food at realistic prices. I am sure even we could cater for the cheaper version of our normal trend of customers. We have a pig bin out the back where you can snuffle through for 10baht.

Naka.

Like I said.................if you only knew

would you say the same if you found that the 200baht pork pie you are happy to pay for was produced for 30baht, or the 90baht pork pie was produced for 10baht ??????????

Being in business myself, I would probably consider how expensive it is to locate a business in a good location and how expensive electricity has become and that hiring decent staff has gone up a lot and that farang business owners usually pay much more tax than Thais and that farang businesss owners have to claim absurd salaries and pay taxes on it in order to get a work permit and one year visa...and so on...! :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

Naka.

Have you ever made a meat pie in thailand for 30bht? Go down your local shop and find out the price of chuck beef, unsalted butter, wheat flour, gas & staff wages. You CANNOT make a 250/300gm pie for 30bht!

Naka.

The portions are to small at Simons.

Cant see people rushing back to eat there, brits like a load on the plate if its fish and chips.

Not again for me.

Yes it all is. well the chips and peas anyway.

The cod is a little on the samll size for the big one.

Brits won't like that.

I see your point. I haven't ever noticed much of a crowd in there. Wonder if they'll make it. I thought the taste of the cod wonderful though compared to two other places I have tried in town, Seaside and the Pork Pie Place out Jomtien Beach Road. They should probably at least push up the chips and peas portion, that is cheap to do. What did you think of Simon's chips? Are they proper British style? I ask because I really don't know.

I won’t say bad, they are not.

Well thought they were a bit soggy.

But that’s down to the person cooking them.

The time of day can influence stuff like that as well.

If they are continually frying chips the quality will be more consistent than if you’re the first customer of the day.

Its not the easiest thing to please the brits with chips.

I think chips should be very thick cut and a golden brown on the out side and soft all the way through, and a good quality oil used for frying.

But that’s just me.

• 5 weeks later...