Visa in Ho Chi Minh

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's simple really so I don't understand why you're confused??

I'm not advising Helen to buy a throw away ticket, she specifically asked about one as she will be leaving in May, after the 60 + 30 days. How she achieves this she hasn't said and isn't relevant. That's her future problem, or not as the case may be.

I'm advising that as she is applying for a SETV she produce a ticket that is within the validity of the 60 days to avoid any questioning from the consulate staff. And as the ticket is throw away it is inconsequential.

Sorry LTL is that a reply to me? 

11 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's simple really so I don't understand why you're confused??

I'm not advising Helen to buy a throw away ticket, she specifically asked about one as she will be leaving in May, after the 60 + 30 days. How she achieves this she hasn't said and isn't relevant. That's her future problem, or not as the case may be.

I'm advising that as she is applying for a SETV she produce a ticket that is within the validity of the 60 days to avoid any questioning from the consulate staff. And as the ticket is throw away it is inconsequential.

I’m not confused but I believe you are giving her incorrect and wrong advice because in effect you are encouraging her to needlessly waste money.

I am disputing your claim that when applying for an SETV you have to buy an airline ticket which shows you will leave 60 days from the date you entered Thailand. It has always been my experience that the ticket can be 90 days including the 30 day extension.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No, sorry my internet is going wonky when I was replying to you

If you have a UK passport you get 15 days on arrival, Thais get 30 days.

Yes,I understand that but my hotel has sent me a visa application form to fill in which requires 2 passport photo's for each application and it mentions getting a departure form as well. My question is, if we're only staying for 7 days do we need to fill this form in or is it a question of just getting my passport stamped when entering and leaving?

1 minute ago, Asiantravel said:

I’m not confused but I believe you are giving her incorrect and wrong advice because in effect you are encouraging her to needlessly waste money.

I am disputing your claim that when applying for an SETV you have to buy an airline ticket which shows you will leave 60 days from the date you entered Thailand. It has always been my experience that the ticket can be 90 days including the 30 day extension.

You are confused as she specifically asked about a throw away ticket, I am not encouraging her to get one.

She is leaving in May, you even did the math and worked out a SETV would take her to beginning of April.

So any ticket with 90 days validity would still be thrown away.

Understand now????

Just now, sotonowl said:

Yes,I understand that but my hotel has sent me a visa application form to fill in which requires 2 passport photo's for each application and it mentions getting a departure form as well. My question is, if we're only staying for 7 days do we need to fill this form in or is it a question of just getting my passport stamped when entering and leaving?

Sounds like a 'invitation letter'?

Tell them the law changed 2 years ago and as a UK passport holder you don't need a visa for stays less than 15 days.

You are confused as she specifically asked about a throw away ticket, I am not encouraging her to get one.

She is leaving in May, you even did the math and worked out a SETV would take her to beginning of April.

So any ticket with 90 days validity would still be thrown away.

Understand now????

Why will it be thrown away when she has to fly somewhere at the beginning of April to get another single entry visa to take up until May?

Sounds like a 'invitation letter'?

Tell them the law changed 2 years ago and as a UK passport holder you don't need a visa for stays less than 15 days.

Yep, i'll try that but it's not easy is it, getting them to understand you that is.

When you arrived in HCMC did you have any paperwork to fill in at all?

10 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

Why will it be thrown away when she has to fly somewhere at the beginning of April to get another single entry visa to take up until May?

If she's going to fly out to get another SETV then she may as well do it within the initial 60 days and avoid paying the 1,900 Baht extension fee!!

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2016 at 9:34 AM, Mooner said:

They also wanted proof of funds when i was there earlier in the year and wouldnt accept cash.

So what would they accept? I plan to show an ATM bank slip from my Bangkok Bank account or would it be better to have my bank book with me?

24 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

So what would they accept? I plan to show an ATM bank slip from my Bangkok Bank account or would it be better to have my bank book with me?

Your bank book and copies of it would be the best proof.

HCMC is notoriously difficult to get a Thai visa, I was turned away and saw many reports of others, despite having a ton of paperwork, from an extremely rude and unapologetic woman running the desk.

Did you have flight out of Thailand and proof of funds. And how many visas do you have in your passport?

And when was this?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, ChomDo said:

I showed them my balance from text messages. Had to go over the road and print it out.

Either would work i imagine

32 minutes ago, markcm19 said:

HCMC is notoriously difficult to get a Thai visa, I was turned away and saw many reports of others, despite having a ton of paperwork, from an extremely rude and unapologetic woman running the desk.

The last time I applied for a visa in Hanoi or HCMC was about a year ago now, but it was easy at that time. They did want to see a confirmed flight out of Thailand, but that is true in numerous other consulates. Overall, applying in those places was a pleasant experience.

Edited by BritTim

I saw people got knocked back in Savannakhet with just a mini slip and a card. Take your bank book or a statement or both.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On 2/25/2017 at 4:06 PM, markcm19 said:

On 2/25/2017 at 4:36 PM, Mooner said:

I showed them my balance from text messages. Had to go over the road and print it out.

Either would work i imagine

Ok so I just returned from my visa trip to HCMC. Interesting story this time. I will write a more detailed review separately but I was very close to being rejected even though this would be only my second consecutive SETV (previous from Vientiane). In my passport I of course have a lot of in and out travel from Thailand and some SETV's but anyway I didn't expect any problems.

I've been to the Thai Consulate in HSMC once before and applying for a SETV was easy and smooth as many other reports suggest. Maybe things have tightened up there too then because this time it wasn't so nice and friendly anymore. They looked at my passport long and then told me that I have too many visas and it/out travel to Thailand. After a long interrogation they said that they can accept it this time but in the future I would have to have even more proof such as letter from guarantor in Thailand. 

After the 5 min questioning (which felt a bit like at the immigration office) and all the paperwork, which I had luckily prepared extra well, I got the receipt to pick up my visa the next afternoon at 1.30pm. I was also expecting it to be free but I guess most EU countries are not included in that extended period of free SETV, so it was 40USD. 

Documents required:

- Flights to Thailand and out of Thailand

- Bank statement (copy of screen shot of my BBL account balance)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...