Ps3

konangrit

I posted this in another thread but think it should probably have it's own one, so sorry for posting this twice.

Am I right in thinking that I'm better off getting an Asian (Hong Kong) PS3 rather than a Japanese or US one?

Voltage;

The voltage in Hong Kong and Thailand are both 220V, and 230V in UK (where I'm from), whereas Japan is 100V and US is 120V which is a benefit, but presumably I'd only need a transformer to use a US or Jap one.

Video Standard;

The US and Japan both use NTSC, whilst Thailand, Hong Kong, and UK use Pal. In practice Hong Kong uses both, and the HK PS3 currently only supports NTSC, but on Sony's HK site they say this:

Can PLAYSTATION®3 sold in Hong Kong play PAL content?

PLAYSTATION®3 sold in Hong Kong can play only NTSC (60i)

content at this moment. This means 50i AVCHD content

(recorded by video camera) and PAL DVD (SD) cannot be played.

These contents are now planned to become playable through

system update, which is planned to be released on 2007 spring.

All my Thai and UK DVDs are Pal.

Is this likely to be limited to the Asian PS3, or an upgrade for the other NTSC versions too? I don't see that they'd have much motivation to allow the US or Jap PS3 to play PAL content, as it's another crude form of region lock.

Language;

Obviously the US version will be in English, but what about the Asian and Jap versions? Hong Kong being a former British colony and Sony's HK PS3 site being available in English makes me think the Asian PS3 should have English language support, am I correct in thinking that? I'm a bit worried that if I get a Jap PS3 it won't have English language support, or do all versions have multiple language support? This would make sense, but console makers always seem to try to make it as awkward as possible to use their consoles outside of the regions they come from.

Is there much of a proce difference between the different versions in Thailand? I'm planning on going to MBK this afternoon to get one as that seems the best place from reading this thread, so any thoughts before then would be helpful.

Cheers,

Konangrit

You need not worry about the english language option

When you switch on the PS3 for the first time you are asked to select the language and once set to english all menu text is english (just like the PSP)

Japan & US share the same region code for blu-ray movie playback, not sure if HK is the same

Thanks, I bought a 60GB Hong Kong one for 32K from the first stall on floor 6 of MBK, with RR7 and Resistance: Fall of Man it came to 36K. Jap games were 2500, what looked like US games were around 1500, Other places were selling it for between 34-36K. A friend says TukCom in Pattaya have the 60GB version for 30K, and the 20GB for 24K with games 2900 each, but I wanted one today, so don't mind paying a little extra, also less hassle to take back if there are any problems.

As someone said, language isn't a problem as it's selectable. The manual is in English and Chinese with the HK version, I doubt that it's in English for the Jap version. I think I read before that it's illegal to region lock in Hong Kong, but I'll have to check on that. No need for a transformer either, but it comes with a UK style plug so another cable or UK-Thai converter is needed.

Wasn't any cheaper for the other versions either, so guess the HK model is the one to get.

I wouldn't buy a PS3 just now. Its been announced that there will be a new major firmware update to coincide with the European release next March.

Glad I opted for the 360 now :o

As previously stated, upgrades are downloadable, a couple have been released already. I'm not going to wait until March just for a new firmware update.