Mae Sot Visa Border Run

I currently have a Non-Immigrant O visa issued in London and with enter before Oct 2017 October stamped in it. I entered in October 2016 and the first 90 days is up 15 January 2017. I am planning a trip to Mae Sot/Myaddway in early January (we are in Lampang) to renew. As this is my first time I would be grateful for some advice please. As we are planning to leave and re-enter the same day do I need a visa for Myawaddy and would the same day exit and re-entry be sufficient for the Thai Immigration to get the next 90 days? Answers and any useful advice/Info etc would be much appreciated.  

Thank you.       

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 2:37 PM, Singhaman said:

Thanks ubonjoe. Also does anyone have any advice on car parking near the border please?

I always go on my motorbike, but used to go by car, easy to get parked, plenty of spaces around the Friendship Bridge. Also very safe.

Before they opened the crossing at Kanchanaburi I used Mai Sot regularly.

Parking is easy. I always followed the road on the left of the checkpoint down to the river where it u-turns under the bridge. Plenty of parking there and the bonus of a nice little market to have a quick wander around if you desire.

Exit and walk across the bridge. Only takes 5 minutes but advise wearing a hat, sun gets very hot.

Burmese Immigration charge 500 bht or $10 for their stamps, no Burmese Visa required if just a quick turnaround or looking around Myawaddy.

Not sure if it's changed but on the Burmese side farang were processed in the small office on the right as you cross. Nice to be able to sit down as opposed to waiting outside.

Back on the Thai side there used to be separate windows for locals and farang so check before you cross which window you need to use as sometimes there can be a very long queue of Burmese you do not need to join the end of.

One of my favourite crossings as Officers on both sides seemed reasonably friendly when I was a visitor.

• 1 month later...

Regarding visa exempt visa run at Mae Sot:  I am reading different accounts, and would really appreciate an authoritative report, preferably form someone who has had recent experience.  I had my original 30 day visa renewed for another 30, and now I need to do a visa run. I was hoping to do a one day run to Mae Sot/Myanmar and back to Chiang Mai. I have not done any of these runs in the last 2 years. I do not have a METV. I have read I can get a 30 day visa exempt and I have read I can not at Mae Sot.   What is the real story.

• Like 1

@edwarda909 I did this today! I was on a 30 day tourist visa on arrival that expired today and I was able to exit thailand at mae sot, hangout in myawaddy for a few hours (the laminated day pass costs 500thb), and then cross back over to thailand and get a new 30 day tourist visa on arrival stamp. 

Note - There was a sign posted that said they are now limiting the amount of times someone can enter overland and get a visa on arrival to 2 times within a calendar year.

Although these guys were traveling onwards in myanmar, I found the pictures in this blog post useful when planning my trip: http://www.globemad.com/crossing-overland-thailand-to-myanmar-mae-sot-to-myawaddy/ 

Edited by seasiatraveller2017
  • Like 1

I did the run to Mae Sae successfully.  However, what follows is how not to do it.

My NUMBER ONE recommendation, make your bus reservation o the Green Bus line from Chiang Mai several days in advance.  Even if you are not sure if your travel date will change, i =I thnk it is worth it, even if you end up changing your plans. So, I show up at terminal 3 abut 90 minutes before bus to depart. Everything booked until later in the day but won't get me to the border in time most likely. So, I book a bus to Chiang Rai.  NUMBER TWO: Then make the mistake of getting off at first Chiang Rai bus stop, (driver told me this was my stop),rather than the second one which is in a dirt lot in town. So I have to wait 20 minutes to take a songtaw into town.  Then take a minivan into Mae Sae.  Get out the minivan, approached by motorbike driver and he takes me to the border.  NUMBER THREE: Make sure you get your arrival card for re-entry into Thailand when you go through  Thai immigration.  Other than that, the crossing went smooth and fast. Yes, law is now limiting to two 30 day overland visa entries/calendar year. 

10 minutes ago, PeterEltham said:

I am thinking of crossing the border at Mae sot to renew my ME visa 90 days but I am running short of space in my passport, does the border pass thingy require space in the passport?

thanks in advance

You will just have entry and departure stamps.

• 4 months later...
On 12/28/2016 at 4:22 PM, edwinchester said:

Burmese Immigration charge 500 bht or $10 for their stamps, no Burmese Visa required if just a quick turnaround or looking around Myawaddy.

Hello,

Do you think that it is possible to stay about one hour in Myawaddy to take some picture, eats some local dishes or Burmese Immigration forced to come back directly in Mae Sot ... ? 

Thanks in advance

21 minutes ago, sarayoot said:

Do you think that it is possible to stay about one hour in Myawaddy to take some picture, eats some local dishes or Burmese Immigration forced to come back directly in Mae Sot ... ? 

You can spend the entire day if you want to with a border pass.

4 minutes ago, sarayoot said:

OK so I can not spend one night, I can arrive at 9.0 am and go back to Thailand at 05.pm ?

You could spend the night if you wanted to. If I recall correctly you allowed to stay for 3 days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ubonjoe,

I project to go to Mae Sot on friday, tomorrow. I actually no have visa, just an exemption 30 days(11.06.17 - 10.07.17/ french passeport)

and I would like to make a visa run in Mae Sot to get 30 more days, is it possible or must to have a visa like tourist - non immigrant multiple entry ? 

Because I am confuse, can you confirm me please

thanks in advance

sarayoot

Just now, sarayoot said:

I project to go to Mae Sot on friday, tomorrow. I actually no have visa, just an exemption 30 days(11.06.17 - 10.07.17/ french passeport)

and I would like to make a visa run in Mae Sot to get 30 more days, is it possible or must to have a visa like tourist - non immigrant multiple entry ? 

As far as I know Mae Sot still not allow a crossing unless you have a valid Thai visa for re-entry unless you have visa for Myanmar. You would not be able to it with a visa exempt entry.

If you have not done it yet you could get a 30 day extension of your 30 day entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

• 8 months later...

Hi , March 22 2018

I have Non O Based on Marriage , Can You still do 90 day renewal there ? Can You still walk across , Pay the 500 bhat or 10 USD  for the one day entry into Mynanmar ? 

Thanks  RCP

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 12:48 PM, ubonjoe said:

You will pay 500 baht or $10 for a border pass to enter Myanmar.

You only need to be out of the country long enough to enter another country then turnaround and come back.

On ‎22‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, ubonjoe said: