Marriage and divorce to a Thai lady.

TomCL

There was article in the Daily Mail in 2014 ...look it up on the internet. Plenty more info there also.

As said ... sometimes life goes great and others times it doesn't.

You might get away with some sort of pre nup ...think it might be how you put it to her ...

That never crossed my mind fourteen years ago ...but I have heard of a few sad cases .....

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, hdkane said:

have you seen the Red Pill documentary...every man should view it before considering marriage...

Have not seen it but would like to. SJW's / Fems have had screenings banned in some places.

This really pertains to all women across all ctrys.  You get divorced. Emotions flair. Women get very vindictive and resentful. Most want to bury u.  Might not even need the $ but they will take as much as they can.  Be guarded and maybe dont even get married.  Just have to know what u are getting into. The system is rarely if ever setup fairly for the man. Especially in LOS. 

My understanding is that prenuptial agreements are taken into consideration in the event of divorce but as someone has mentioned, they take second place after the laws of the land.

I also understand that a judge will give due consideration to the assets owned by each party prior to the marriage. I don't think a new wife is necessarily entitled to any part of wealth that was made before the partnership began. 

Although courts do seem to favour female partners, they don't automatically consider all assets as joint.

When no children are involved it is simpler. The judge has to decide what contribution each partner has made to wealth accumulated since the marriage and order distibution accordingly.

It's never easy or cut and dried but it is a great deal fairer than many believe.

If a wife has contributed to a partnership then it's only fair she should receive her just share.

53 minutes ago, paulsingle said:

My understanding is that prenuptial agreements are taken into consideration in the event of divorce but as someone has mentioned, they take second place after the laws of the land.

I also understand that a judge will give due consideration to the assets owned by each party prior to the marriage. I don't think a new wife is necessarily entitled to any part of wealth that was made before the partnership began. 

Although courts do seem to favour female partners, they don't automatically consider all assets as joint.

When no children are involved it is simpler. The judge has to decide what contribution each partner has made to wealth accumulated since the marriage and order distibution accordingly.

It's never easy or cut and dried but it is a great deal fairer than many believe.

If a wife has contributed to a partnership then it's only fair she should receive her just share.

Very well said. A rationale level headed response. It appears to me that there are some men who survived a painful divorce hence their defensive posture and the "Never trust a woman again" stance. Sad really as its likely even if they do meet a nice women to share life with they will always live with suspicions and the relationship is troubled from the outset.. Marriages take 2, if they fall apart its because of both some how some way. II firmly believe that if you married and both invested effort in the relationship that when parting ways both should be entitled to the split. Men have this weird belief that because if the wife was a housewife or she worked and made less and the man worked and made more money that his contribution was bigger. I disagree. 

I cannot speak for the UK but in the US if you were to divorce your personal property does not become community property with a new wife, and you do not need a prenuptial to protect those interests. just have to show date and a few other things. Courts are very clear on this.  However any income made, debt incurred or items purchased after that date become community property with the new wife as it should be. Prenup's are usually for people with loads of cash and assets and usually do this to cover inheritance and an estate. You could put all your assets in an trust and will it someone but your new wife if you felt the need.

To the OP, Only you can answer that question about if you want to marry her or not. If you are happy and trust her this is a none issue and listening to the hardened angry men on this site will only taint your point of view because they are not you and their poor experience is not yours either..  I don't see you as having this large amount of assets that she would be focused on taking from you. If the house was yours prior then it should remain yours. If you are making payments on a mortgage then she has no liability to that debt and you should continue to make separate payments if you are that worried about it. But to start out a relationship already worrying or fighting over money, it may be doomed. Money is the root of all evil.

Life is life. relationships work and some do not. Some have the make up to enjoy a trusting relationship, others do not. Pick your partner wisely. 

Edited by JAFO

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Very well said. A rationale level headed response. It appears to me that there are some men who survived a painful divorce hence their defensive posture and the "Never trust a woman again" stance. Sad really as its likely even if they do meet a nice women to share life with they will always live with suspicions and the relationship is troubled from the outset.. Marriages take 2, if they fall apart its because of both some how some way. II firmly believe that if you married and both invested effort in the relationship that when parting ways both should be entitled to the split. Men have this weird belief that because if the wife was a housewife or she worked and made less and the man worked and made more money that his contribution was bigger. I disagree. 

I cannot speak for the UK but in the US if you were to divorce your personal property does not become community property with a new wife, and you do not need a prenuptial to protect those interests. just have to show date and a few other things. Courts are very clear on this.  However any income made, debt incurred or items purchased after that date become community property with the new wife as it should be. Prenup's are usually for people with loads of cash and assets and usually do this to cover inheritance and an estate. You could put all your assets in an trust and will it someone but your new wife if you felt the need.

To the OP, Only you can answer that question about if you want to marry her or not. If you are happy and trust her this is a none issue and listening to the hardened angry men on this site will only taint your point of view because they are not you and their poor experience is not yours either..  I don't see you as having this large amount of assets that she would be focused on taking from you. If the house was yours prior then it should remain yours. If you are making payments on a mortgage then she has no liability to that debt and you should continue to make separate payments if you are that worried about it. But to start out a relationship already worrying or fighting over money, it may be doomed. Money is the root of all evil.

Life is life. relationships work and some do not. Some have the make up to enjoy a trusting relationship, others do not. Pick your partner wisely. 

Agree with what you have written

Many of the replies have been the 'rent not buy'  and if you have to ask that question  she's not right for you' type of replies.  Which  is fair enough

Many countries divorce laws are very unfair towards the man.  Hence the replies. 

Would all of these replies be relevant if the laws were against the woman???? 

I think not

Imagine you could be with a woman for a while.  Have a kid or two.  Cheat and then choose to take the kids and take half the assets of the woman who would have more than you ever will.  while demanding child support 

2 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Agree with what you have written

Many of the replies have been the 'rent not buy'  and if you have to ask that question  she's not right for you' type of replies.  Which  is fair enough

Many countries divorce laws are very unfair towards the man.  Hence the replies. 

Would all of these replies be relevant if the laws were against the woman???? 

I think not

Imagine you could be with a woman for a while.  Have a kid or two.  Cheat and then choose to take the kids and take half the assets of the woman who would have more than you ever will.  while demanding child support 

But it is not like that so why say it .

give them ???? All .

7 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

give them ???? All .

7 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

give them ???? All .

I agree 

It's not like that. 

But you can see why people think and react like that. 

But you would be naive to completely ignore the above 

Marry her in the village. Buy a token gift of gold.  Even give a couple of £k sinsot if you love her unreservedly.  No one other than HiSo families will go and check you actually got married in the Amphur legally (similar to UK registrar). So no need to put your wealth at risk regarding divorce, assuming she is living in Thailand.  If she is with you in UK she already has claims.  

Just now, hellohello123 said:

I agree 

It's not like that. 

But you can see why people think and react like that. 

But you would be naive to completely ignore the above 

Not at all ,you want to see what happens in my country when it comes to  divorce and  male  suicide .

woman  false reporting so the men can't get to see their kids   it's a joke.

woman in my country Australia are a

#*#* Joke , not all but most of them are #*#*s .

11 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Not at all ,you want to see what happens in my country when it comes to  divorce and  male  suicide .

woman  false reporting so the men can't get to see their kids   it's a joke.

woman in my country Australia are a

#*#* Joke , not all but most of them are #*#*s .

I was referring to it not being like that s my previous post about if the laws were  reversed. 

I'm from oz too! So  I know the rules... For the most part

11 hours ago, leither69 said:

If you Dont want to share with your future wife,  why would you marry her!!

I don't think it is so much the question of not wanting to share with your future wife. I think it was more of a question about sharing with a divorced wife one year later. 

10 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

I was referring to it not being like that s my previous post about if the laws were  reversed. 

I'm from oz too! So  I know the rules... For the most part

Why talk about something that can't happen.

i can seat down for hours and tell you about what woman do to man in Australia with the kids it is a ???? Joke .

Parent  alien isolation

woman here take the money and run back home take the money the kids home and run .

16 hours ago, Thaimike370 said:

Only 50% you're joking.  Try 100%.  I have seen it happen so often in my eight years here.  Only invest what you can afford to lose and walk away from.

Thai law is 50/50 and I have had two friend's that got divorced  in Thailand and they were both happy with the outcome from the court.

All my other friends are still married most of which is 10+ years.  If you are going to get married in Thailand or even be with a long term girl friend you need to protect yourself and anything you purchase make sure it's in your name. 

18 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Not even close.

He lives in the UK.

She could take him for child support (they always want kids) and alimony, extracting a large amount of his future income. Once that is secure, she could move back to Thailand and Enjoy the Life at his expence.

I am 59 in February and she is 55. I do love her and I am 99% sure she loves me the same. She has never asked me for money in 4 years. I started paying the rent on our home on Koh Samui. It's just that I hear so many horror stories about beind married then divorced after 4 or 5 months. No kids, full stop. (Obviously)

2 hours ago, ericthai said:

Thai law is 50/50 and I have had two friend's that got divorced  in Thailand and they were both happy with the outcome from the court.

All my other friends are still married most of which is 10+ years.  If you are going to get married in Thailand or even be with a long term girl friend you need to protect yourself and anything you purchase make sure it's in your name. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. This site is new to me.

6 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Why talk about something that can't happen.

i can seat down for hours and tell you about what woman do to man in Australia with the kids it is a ???? Joke .

Parent  alien isolation

woman here take the money and run back home take the money the kids home and run .

I have no intention of bringing her to the UK.

2 hours ago, ericthai said:

I don't care about things we buy in Thailand' she would be welcome to it. I want to improve her life but it's my home here in the UK I was worried about.

If you have been with her for 4 years, and you do not intend to bring her to the UK, just stay with her in Thailand as you are now. This site tends to be extremely negative, I would trust your instincts and be careful with any assets. There are horror stories, and there are many great relationships that you will not hear much about on this site. I have been married to my wife for over 21 years. If I had read Thai Visa (I was not aware of it back then if it even existed) before getting married, I probably would never have gotten married. That would have been a terrible mistake.

Live life, take a chance, just don't be dumb. There are always signs that something is wrong with a relationship, most people just do not pay attention to those signs.

Edited by Ahab
to correct wording

23 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Nationality of being a Thai lady would be irrelevant.

Your enquiries need to be within the UK focusing on pre-nuptial agreements and de-facto separation if you decide against getting hitched, simple search produces UK articles like the following, do some initial research then use a solicitor if required.

https://www.family-lawfirm.co.uk/how-we-help/other/prenuptial-agreements

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/dividing-the-family-home-and-mortgage-during-separation#understanding-how-the-home-can-be-divided 

She will never be coming to the UK. 

1 minute ago, Ahab said:

If you have been with her for 4 years, and you do not intend to bring her to the UK, just stay with her in Thailand as you are now. This site tends to be extremely negative, I would trust your instincts and be careful with any assets. There are horror stories, and there are many great relationships that you will not hear much about on this site. I have been married to my wife for over 21 years. If I had read Thai Visa (I was not aware of it back then if it even existed) before getting married, I probably would never have gotten married if I had read it. That would have been a terrible mistake.

Live life, take a chance, just don't be dumb. There are always signs that something is wrong with a relationship, most people just do not pay attention to those signs.

Thank you. You are right about the negative thing on this site. I only worry about losing my home here in the UK. 

Just now, TomCL said:

Thank you. You are right about the negative thing on this site. I only worry about losing my home here in the UK. 

If you do eventually decide on marriage you could just opt for a simple Thai ceremony and not register the marriage with the British authorities. It is also possible to not register a small ceremony with Thai authorities, just be married (kind of a common law type arrangement). Not sure how this would work legally, but it would be very hard to lose anything in the UK (I would surmise) by going this way.

4 minutes ago, TomCL said:

She will never be coming to the UK. 

Original post was a little ambiguous

I live in the UK and have been with the same Thai lady for 4 years. She wants me to marry her but I'm a little worried that she could divorce me for half of what I have. I am not rich and my house is only worth about £80,000.

Is this possible for her to do even though we have no children together?.

So correct me if I am wrong, You live predominantly in the UK and have an overseas girlfriend of 4 years in Thailand with whom you visit who would like to take the next step.

You are helping her out financially in Thailand with her living costs as some people do.

With that being the case, should you travel there to tie the knot, your asset in the UK should be safe if appropriate steps are taken, should the marriage go pear shaped. 

3 hours ago, TomCL said:

You are right about the negative thing on this site.

Firstly Welcome Tom. I am glad you have your Negative radar on. This site can be hard to filter at times. Keep it in perspective. If in your shoes and that concerned about assets, I would seek out a lawyer for a quick consultation. Listening to some on this website you will be upside down and miserable in no time.

3 hours ago, Ahab said:

Real world post Ahab, that is the truth in it all. You cannot go in blind into any relationship anywhere in the world and a bit of good ol common sense will go a long way. A good number do not pay attention to the signs and usually come on this site and scream SCAM after they take off the blinders. In the end if one is happy, then enjoy life.