Constant Unwanted Downloads

dddave

Every time I open my phone (Xiaomi Note-3, Android 5.1) I am inundated with apps attempting to download. often designed to make it difficult to opt out.  Some are Google Play apps like Lazada, others from who knows where.  I have the unknown sources restriction activated but it seems to be doing no good.  I can't figure what the source of all this is...been going on for a week now.  I fear my only option may be to do a full-on reset.  I have Avast anti-virus and the phone scans clean for viruses and malware.  I am on AIS 4G w/data.

Any suggestions how to protect from these?  Has anybody else recently experienced the same? 

I guess you write about app updates?

Seems you already switched to manual opt out for updates?

And of course update only when on WiFi, not when on mobile data.

52 minutes ago, dddave said:

some are Google Play apps like Lazada, others from who knows where.

Step 1:

If you don't know who else should know?

If you don't know it and don't use it then uninstall!

(yes I know it's not possible for preinstalled bloatware)

For the bloatware I turn them off (if possible) or at least reset to factory default (clear data/cache) and from then on ignore update requests.

And when you have done all that, then don't be surprised that Skype, LINE, Maps, StreetView, HereWeGO etc. pp. still might come up multiple times a week. Sometimes I even skip one of these and wait for tomorrows update :tongue:

It's crazy but true. I am too old for that :sleep:

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

I guess you write about app updates?

Nope...Attempts at fresh installs.

I have tried to "Force stop/Disable" pre-installed bloatware but they to re-appear when the phone is re-started.

I tried the suggestion to disable "Google Play" but they keep on coming.

4 minutes ago, dddave said:

Nope...Attempts at fresh installs.

I have tried to "Force stop/Disable" pre-installed bloatware but they to re-appear when the phone is re-started.

I tried the suggestion to disable "Google Play" but they keep on coming.

You need to turn off both Google Play Store, *and* Google Play Services, and then go through all apps and turn off auto-updates on each one individually.  Games invariably ignore all attempts to manually override auto settings,,,,,,

Why are you restarting your phone so much?  Mine hasn't been turned off for weeks.

Edited by jpinx

Can you give an example or two of how this issue manifests itself? Please be very, very detailed.

The fact that it began a week ago points to something (obviously) which occurred then: some new update, some change in settings. Then there could be some unique Xiomi stuff mucking up your experience.

Maybe check Xiomi forums or XDA?

Also check Android, Settings, Personal, Google, Ads, toggle Opt out of Ads Personalization (Stock Android 7.0.1, your menus may be different)

My phone is rooted and I run Adaway; never see this sort of thing.

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you give an example or two of how this issue manifests itself? Please be very, very detailed.

The fact that it began a week ago points to something (obviously) which occurred then: some new update, some change in settings. Then there could be some unique Xiomi stuff mucking up your experience.

Maybe check Xiomi forums or XDA?

Also check Android, Settings, Personal, Google, Ads, toggle Opt out of Ads Personalization (Stock Android 7.0.1, your menus may be different)

My phone is rooted and I run Adaway; never see this sort of thing.

what does 'rooted' mean?

I get alot of junk on my phone and just went thru and force stop/disable on junk that I never knew was there; 'mini movie'? 'photo collage'? itsa goddam telephone!...recently it suddenly started to record every telephone conversation...I've had enough...can't transfer files directly from the laptop, etc...

thank buddha the POS is not my primary device...gonna go back to a dumbphone when nokia come out with their new line...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I have set my phone to only update apps via wi-fi and my phone is very bare-bones app vice from the factory so basically don't get any updates I don't want and don't have the odd problem OP has.

Could OP's phone have some kind of virus that makes it behave like that?

On 12/20/2016 at 1:30 PM, jpinx said:

Why are you restarting your phone so much?  Mine hasn't been turned off for weeks.

Mis-spoke...Meant whenever I open my phone, that is, turn on the device screen...I rarely turn the phone off.

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

When I open my phone, say to read a message that just came in and open whatever app, Line, FB or SMS, almost immediately a game install page, or perhaps a commercial site page like Lazada will display over the original, sometimes with flashing download buttons and frequently, no clear way to back out or sometimes an "X" placed so close to a "Download" button that it is difficult not to activate.

I've un-installed every app I self installed since I got the phone and have disabled whatever I thought might be suspicious. Unfortunately, disabled apps, like one that came with the phone that I suspect may be part of the problem, "KIKA Keyboard" keeps re-appearing.

I have checked several Xiaomi centered forums but have not found a problem similar to mine.

It did not occur when I first got the phone so some kind of ad-ware or malware must have come in on something I downloaded, though I actually only downloaded a few apps.  I am suspicious of LINE as they have tried to sneak downloading apps in the past.

I believe I will just have to do a full re-set.  I'm concerned though that when I back-up what I have on the phone now, I will transfer whatever the problem is.  Since it's a new phone and does not have that much essential stuff on it, I just might do a totally clean re-set with no backed up data.

Well you've granted one or more apps "permission" to do this. My guess would LINE. I would uninstall LINE, restart and see if the problem reappears. Repeat for FB. That said it may be a Xiomi "feature"? If so, I'd look for a replacement ROM, or phone.

Adaway is not available in the Play Store for obvious reasons. It must be side-loaded onto a rooted phone. 

Read up or post on XDA; be sure to be as detailed as possible.

Edited by mtls2005

On 12/22/2016 at 9:53 AM, mtls2005 said:

First hit, Google "xiaomi redmi note 3 pop up ads" , I'm feeling lucky; may or may not help but there's a gazillion other links to all sorts of forums.

Thanks...great find.  I'll try it.

Friend of mine has the same problem with a Xiaomi Mi4c.

This crap is integrated in some firmwares, depending on which Chinese distributor sold them.

Only serious solution is, to flash a clean Manufacturers ROM, since you never know, what else these bastards may have added...