How to connect internet in the condo for 3 months?

Ivan44

Hello everyone. I apologize for my English.
I would like to ask about the features of the internet connection in Thailand.
In my condo available AIS Fibre, TrueMove Fiber, 3BB. I would like to connect one of them, as a general wifi in the condo does not suit me because I work through the Internet. But there is one thing: I went to live for 3 months in Pattaya. Then I go back to my country.
Thai ISPs only allow one year contract. At my country, I can safely terminate the contract if I do not intend to use the Internet, even after a week of use. But I have heard that in Thailand for early termination of the contract will have to pay a fine. I want to know, is this true? This is the biggest problem that stops me. I would like to connect the AIS Fibre, but also I like to TrueMove.

I forgot to say that the people who lived in the room before me enjoyed AIS Fibre. But now they canceled the contract. This means that all cables are connected.

Edited by Ivan44

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

May I ask where is your condo that offers True Fibre?  The standard response from True is they do NOT do cable or fibre internet in condos.

Lumpini Condotown. The girls sit near the entrance and advertise True Fiber. Connection is free, they say. But the contract for at least 6 months offered.

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

May I ask where is your condo that offers True Fibre?  The standard response from True is they do NOT do cable or fibre internet in condos.

That's not quite true (haha). The standard response from True is that they dont do DSL above the third floor though the reason for this in a condo is very unclear. For fibre it depends on whether they have an official presence in the building or not. If they do then you can probably have it. If they dont then it's very unlikely indeed. The same normally applies to all other fibre providers also. The reason being that they need to install distribution equipment (splitters) inside the building and this requires the authorisation of the building management and some place in a common area for them to put it, and they will normally need to run the fibre also through the common areas. For DSL the only internal requirement is a phone line which is usually provided by the building anyway. The ISP just provides the phone connection to where the building wiring starts and no special distribution equipment is needed on the premises, and no authorisations either.

I still get tangled up in the policies and logic of the internet providers.  My bad.

My condo building says they will work with True, AIS, etc. for their equipment and wiring, but apparently those fibre providers don't feel that there's enough market in a building with 900 units to bother.  Another building up the street has a petition circulating for AIS -- if enough signatures accrue, AIS might offer service there.

There are two local fibre internet providers (TMN and Sophon) in Jomtien who do provide service in my building, and when I get off my lazy butt I'm going to go to the TMN office and give their service a try.  TMN has month-to-month, i.e. "no contract," plans, like B599 for 20Mbps, but there is a B2,000 fee for the modem.  I have working 3BB 18Mbps service now, but I can test TMN for a month for <B3,000. Their next higher plan is 30Mbps for B1,200, which is probably what I would get if the one-month test pans out.

7 hours ago, wpcoe said:

My condo building says they will work with True, AIS, etc. for their equipment and wiring, but apparently those fibre providers don't feel that there's enough market in a building with 900 units to bother.  

I wonder if they have ever been asked properly?

Edited by KittenKong

On 21/12/2016 at 0:59 AM, wpcoe said:

Until a couple of weeks ago I rented a condo in central Bangkok and had a True fibre Internet connection and it was blazing fast.  Just 899 baht a month with a small True Visions TV package included.  So for sure, True does fibre internet and I was delighted with the connection!

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

Until a couple of weeks ago I rented a condo in central Bangkok and had a True fibre Internet connection and it was blazing fast.  Just 899 baht a month with a small True Visions TV package included.  So for sure, True does fibre internet and I was delighted with the connection!

True markets not only fibre optic but also cable (DOCSIS) internet as "Fibre."  Did you have fibre optic or DOCSIS?  I had a DOCSIS True package in Hua Hin at a townhouse for B899/month with the TrueVisions package and a mobile phone SIM marketed as "Fibre Internet."  Was there a splitter sending one cable to your cable TV box and another to the modem?

Hi, I see that in Jomtien there is tmn and sophon. In my new place we only have Internet in the lobby ! where are these two adresses please ? Also, I see loxinfo, but their site is in Thai with English headings only. I'm here for 2  months in this condo and can't face having no internet . Is loxinfo done over the phone, or how do these three work ? And do I have to ask first which internet company they have in my condo ? Thanks a lot. 

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Hi, I see that in Jomtien there is tmn and sophon. In my new place we only have Internet in the lobby ! where are these two adresses please ? Also, I see loxinfo, but their site is in Thai with English headings only. I'm here for 2  months in this condo and can't face having no internet . Is loxinfo done over the phone, or how do these three work ? And do I have to ask first which internet company they have in my condo ? Thanks a lot. 

SophonBB: http://sbnnet.co.th/

TMN: http://tmncabletv.com/index-tmn.html

What you can get in your building will depend on the building, so ask at the front office. You can reasonably expect to get ADSL from the supplier of your choice, though there may be local variations to this. Or fibre/cable from whichever supplier(s) actually have an arrangement with your building.

2 hours ago, geisha said:

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

SophonBB: http://sbnnet.co.th/

TMN: http://tmncabletv.com/index-tmn.html

What you can get in your building will depend on the building, so ask at the front office. You can reasonably expect to get ADSL from the supplier of your choice, though there may be local variations to this. Or fibre/cable from whichever supplier(s) actually have an arrangement with your building.

I had poor success communicating over the phone in English with TMN, but my two visits to their shop at the Pattaya Klang/Sukhumvit intersection were fine.  The representative there spoke good English and was knowledgeable about their internet packages.  I think there are other TMN offices, but here's the one I used:

a.jpg

TMN has (at least) two fibre internet packages -- B599/month for 20/7Mbps, and B1200/month for 30/10Mbps -- on a month-by-month basis, but you need to purchase the modem for B2000 and there might be an installation fee.  When I asked in November there was no mention of an installation fee, but when I was there this past week she said there was a new contract with my condo building and there would be a B500 installation fee.

BUT, as KittenKong mentioned, you need to first ask at the front desk if they permit TMN (or any ISP) to install internet service in your condo building.

Another option for two-month internet access is to purchase monthly 3G/4G data plans for your mobile phone.  It might be easier (and cheaper) to just use your mobile phone as a mobile hotspot.

On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 1:27 PM, PoorSucker said:

Thais does not have to sign up for long periods, only foreigners.

Solution, get a Thai girlfriend that gets the contract.

Yes was going to say this thai can sign month by month if wanted.