This is a very difficult day, Chancellor Merkel addresses Germany

webfact

This is a very difficult day, Chancellor Merkel addresses Germany

606x341_352867.jpg

BERLIN: -- Chancellor Angela Merkel faces a moment of reckoning after the deadly attack on a Christmas market in Berlin. The leader’s popularity had already taken a hit due to her open-door refugee policy, and attacks in Bavaria over the Summer.

Addressing the country in a televised news conference, she said:

“This is a very difficult day. I am disappointed, shocked and very sad about what happened in Berlin yesterday.”

Security sources cited by reporters point to the suspect being a 23-year-old Afghan asylum seeker. Merkel responded to the news, saying it would be “particularly repugnant if the perpetrator was someone who got protection in Germany as a refugee.” She added that the crime would be clarified and punished as harshly as the law allows.

Announcing she would visit the attack site later in the day, she sought to unite Germany saying, ‘We don’t want to live with the fear of evil paralysing us.’

Anti-EU politician Nigel Farage was criticised for political point scoring after the tragedy, saying that the attack would be Merkel’s legacy.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-21

2 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

The authorities still haven't found the killer yet?

The person who was detained, denied having anything to do with it.   There apparently is also no forensic evidence to link him to the terrorist attack, so he has been released.  

So, as of right now, they have no one in custody.   That's particularly troubling since ISIS has taken credit for the attack.  

Yes, Angela, it is difficult and it will get even worse for you in next year's elections.  You still refuse to acknowledge your mistake in allowing so many "refugees" into Germany without any proper vetting.  Then, having invited them all in with your big "welcome" sign, you have the audacity to demand that other countries in the EU take their share on a quota basis. At present, it is the EU citizens who are paying a terrible price for your grand gesture, but in a much more limited way, if their is any justice, your time will come next year.  

Is  Merkel  another  politician  who  is  done  in  by  her  wonderful  plan  that  has  somewhat gone  side ways?  I  doubt  PM  Trudeau  of  Canada  to  get  any  wisdom  from  something like  this....  Oh  is  it  time  for  another  Selfie??  Yay!

Geezer

7 hours ago, webfact said:

She added that the crime would be clarified and punished as harshly as the law allows.

Time to start calling these acts of war and treat them as such, especially when ISIS is claiming responsibility. 

6 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Difficult because of you

How dare you speak to the German people.

You should be qiet in shame

You belong in jail together with your terrorist friends

Looking around I think there is enough of these "working for the people" type of politicians to build a super jail somewhere just for them. Maybe in Syria somewhere in the rebuilding program. We truly are a funny animal "shoot em up knock em down and rebuild on someone else's dime. 

4 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Looking around I think there is enough of these "working for the people" type of politicians to build a super jail somewhere just for them. Maybe in Syria somewhere in the rebuilding program. We truly are a funny animal "shoot em up knock em down and rebuild on someone else's dime. 

I don't quite understand your post, for which I apologise.

If I (sort of) understand correctly, then I agree with the "shoot em up knock em down and rebuild" comment - assuming it refers to Western wars in foreign countries?  But the rebuild is not on "someone else's dime" as large Western companies in the countries that 'won' are then able to get away with charging the defeated country a fortune to rebuild the resultant destruction?

Entirely off topic though (unless I'm missing the point) - although worthy of discussion.

11 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Big mistake by Merkel, but, she did it with good intentions........................you know.....that stuff the Road to Hell is paved with.

If she wasn't a politician, I'd agree.

But as she is a politician - I'm cynical and suspect it had more to do with cheap labour.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I don't quite understand your post, for which I apologise.

If I (sort of) understand correctly, then I agree with the "shoot em up knock em down and rebuild" comment - assuming it refers to Western wars in foreign countries?  But the rebuild is not on "someone else's dime" as large Western companies in the countries that 'won' are then able to get away with charging the defeated country a fortune to rebuild the resultant destruction?

Entirely off topic though (unless I'm missing the point) - although worthy of discussion.

Thanks for your gentlemanly reply. I do sometimes hit a "rave" moment. No need to apologize your right. Russia and Saudia Arabia are helping to knock it down but its guaranteed that not one dime of their money will go into rebuilding. The Americans which can be generous lot (just add it to the 20 trillion dollar bill) will step in as leader of the free world and do most of the heavy lifting. I tend to agree a bit with Trump on this aspect its time to quit being the worlds champion. We are all adults here so lets start acting like one. Its time to quit the battleship and bathtub games. 

6 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

If she wasn't a politician, I'd agree.

But as she is a politician - I'm cynical and suspect it had more to do with cheap labour.

There you go telling the truth again in a world that acts like the words from a famous movie "Truth you can't handle the truth" Love Jack Nicholson famous moment. Its so sad we are loosing so many good actors and their replacements leave a lot to be desired. Well back to watching "Fast And Furious 70" he he he. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Thanks for your gentlemanly reply. I do sometimes hit a "rave" moment. No need to apologize your right. Russia and Saudia Arabia are helping to knock it down but its guaranteed that not one dime of their money will go into rebuilding. The Americans which can be generous lot (just add it to the 20 trillion dollar bill) will step in as leader of the free world and do most of the heavy lifting. I tend to agree a bit with Trump on this aspect its time to quit being the worlds champion. We are all adults here so lets start acting like one. Its time to quit the battleship and bathtub games. 

I disagree that the US are the leader of the free world, but quite apart from this when it comes to rebuilding in defeated countries - the victor ensures that their own big companies do the rebuilding in the defeated countries.  And profit enormously by doing so at the expense of the defeated countries' companies.

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

There you go telling the truth again in a world that acts like the words from a famous movie "Truth you can't handle the truth" Love Jack Nicholson famous moment. Its so sad we are loosing so many good actors and their replacements leave a lot to be desired. Well back to watching "Fast And Furious 70" he he he. 

It was a great line, but also self-serving.

Which pretty much sums up politics!

38 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

It will probably come as a bit of a shock to some to find out that the US isn't considered "the leader of the free world" by anyone other than some Americans....

The leader of the most important superstate (that affects every other country) - yes, but leader of the free world is more than a step too far.

Certainly has been the world leader in interventionism although Russia is now gaining ground.