Amazon Prime Video (Thailand)

SooKee

Thought I'd give it a shot as I wasn't sure if it was available here yet.  Just signed up to the free 7 day trial of Amazon Prime video international via the Amazon.com USA website at $2.99 for the first 6 months (followed by $5.99) thereafter using a UK credit with a billing address registered to Malaysia (where my other place is).  All gone through fine.  Will see how it goes over the next 7 days.  No chance to look yet if the content is hamstrung in the same way that Netflix here gets about 10% of the USA catalogue.

Well.  Quite underwhelmed at the moment I must say.  Doubt I'll be continuing beyond the 7 day trial.  Even for free it's not worth it.  At $2.99 it's waaaay overpriced at the moment and at $5.99 ABSOLUTELY <deleted>!!!!  Why?  Content.  It really is dismal.  Hopefully it's because it's a new service and they've yet to make the content available but pretty much EVERY item you click on shows 'not available in your area due to licensing restrictions'.  OK, here's an idea then.  Sort out the licensing and THEN introduce a paid service.  

Just take a look at what's available through their app on a mobile device and this will automatically show you just the content for your location and you can see just how limited it is.  Literally just a handful of TV shows (which drops even further once you knock out the Anime crap), barely one or two worth watching and, what, maybe 50 movies all of which are old and hold zero interest for me.  

Of course use a VPN and YMMV but these comments relate to the Amazon Prime Video International that they are heralding the release of to challenge Netflix.  Seriously??   Heck, even iFlix at 1,000 baht per year leaves this for dead.  They have a long long way to go before this will even be worth entertaining IMHO.  I think they'd have been better sorting the content FIRST personally, at least so it wasn't quite such a joke from the outset.

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

• 6 months later...

FYI, Amazon has announced that it's extending the discounted pricing for its Amazon Prime Video international service by an additional six months to the end of 2017.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/entertainment/news/amazon-prime-video-introductory-price-offer-extended-1717819

Taking many by surprise last December, Amazon announced it was making its on-demand streaming service, for which it would typically charge USD 5.99 a month, available in 242 countries and territories at an introductory price of USD 2.99 or EUR 2.99 per month for the first six months. This pricing is only for regions that do not have a Prime subscription service already available. In other regions - like India and US - Amazon Prime subscribers get the Prime Video service bundled in.

That discounted offer will now last until the end of the year, the e-commerce giant told Gadgets 360. "We are extending our introductory price of USD 2.99 (or EUR 2.99) per month to thank our early customers," a spokesperson said.

Meanwhile, Amazon also separately announced that their once a year big sales event -- the 3rd annual Prime Day -- will be coming soon this July 11 U.S. time, though their sales will actually start the night before July 10 about 6 p.m. PST in the U.S.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/29/15892386/amazon-prime-day-july-11th-deals-sales-holiday

Set your alarm clocks and get your credit cards ready, everyone, because it’s time for Amazon’s Christmas in July. Or more accurately, Amazon’s Black Friday in July. That’s right, friends: Amazon has announced its third annual Prime Day on July 11th.

For the third year in a row, Amazon is clearing out its warehouses of old stock running a festival of deals for Prime members. And just like Black Friday, Prime Day starts earlier than ever, with some deals set to start as early as July 5th and the actual Prime Day festivities kicking off a night early on July 10th, at 9PM EST / 6PM PST.

Prime Day is of note for folks here because it's typically the best day of the year for getting the best discounts/best pricing on many of Amazon's own tech hardware -- Fire tablets, Amazon exclusive mobile phones, Kindle readers, and the new crop of Alexa-enabled devices like the Echo, Dot and Tap.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Not surprising that they're extending the Prime Video service 'offer', I doubt they'd get many takers at anything like the full asking price given the pretty dismal lack of content.  I signed up for the short while I needed to get the stuff I wanted to see 'binge watched', cancelled already. Very poor value compared to Netflix, or even iFlix for that matter, both of which have much bigger catalogues and Thai subtitles.  

Seems to me that Amazon tried to jump on the Netflix bandwagon to get a piece of the streaming services cake but executed it poorly. "That discounted offer will now last until the end of the year, the e-commerce giant told Gadgets 360. "We are extending our introductory price of USD 2.99 (or EUR 2.99) per month to thank our early customers," a spokesperson said."  55555, Amazon the charity?  I think not.  More like " 6 months after launch and our catalogue is still so small that there's simply no way we can justify increasing the price for what we have on offer".

And of course one of the devices you still can't watch Prime Video on, yes, Amazon's very own Fire TV / Stick. So if you live in an Amazon account country where it will work but plan to travel and wish to watch the Prime Video service, the Fire TV / Stick is the absolute last device you want unless you want to have to buy another device to use when travelling (such as an Nvidia Shield or generic Android STB) as well.  Top marks to the Amazon folks that thought that was a shrewd move...derrrrrr.

Edited by SooKee

I signed up for the trial a while back (at the end of last year???) when the second series of "The Man in the High Castle" was released. Unsurprisingly it wasn't available in Thailand and the stuff that didn't seem to be there was very uninspiring.

Uninstalled immediately it and never seen a reason to reconsider yet.

Very strange? I watched Man in the High Castle on the Prime Service. That along with Sneaky Pete and Goliath. The catalogue is expanding at a snail's pace though so I can't see there being a need to resubscribe any time soon. There's a few others on there too like Justified and Downton Abbey plus the new American Gods but I just couldn't get into that.

Posted using Tapatalk

I tried right after the original release in the US and UK etc. They probably added it to the Thai catalogue some time later. As far as I'm concerned, these companies encourage and invite piracy by having different release dates in different territories. Watching that particular show was the main reason I signed up. When it wasn't there I found it was freely available through unofficial sources anyway.

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, SooKee said:

And of course one of the devices you still can't watch Prime Video on, yes, Amazon's very own Fire TV / Stick. So if you live in an Amazon account country where it will work but plan to travel and wish to watch the Prime Video service, the Fire TV / Stick is the absolute last device you want unless you want to have to buy another device to use when travelling (such as an Nvidia Shield or generic Android STB) as well.  Top marks to the Amazon folks that thought that was a shrewd move...derrrrrr.

I know we've been down this road before, but continuing to spread falsehoods doesn't fly...

I have an  Amazon Fire TV box and stick with a U.S.-based account. I can use them just fine in the U.S., and I can use them just fine when I'm abroad, without losing any content, in other words, able to access the entire Amazon Prime Video catalog. Just have to take the proper technical steps that doesn't require having or buying any other streaming boxes.

Just because you choose not to, doesn't mean the solutions aren't readily and easily available.

-----------------------------

Personally, I wouldn't recommend their international service to anyone, even at the reduced price, who already has access to the U.S.-based Amazon Prime service, which obviously has a much broader video catalog than their international version. But for $3 a month for the international version during their promotion for someone who does NOT have access to a U.S. account, it's pretty hard to complain about that pricing.

I know we've been down this road before, but continuing to spread falsehoods doesn't fly...

I have an  Amazon Fire TV box and stick with a U.S.-based account. I can use them just fine in the U.S., and I can use them just fine when I'm abroad, without losing any content, in other words, able to access the entire Amazon Prime Video catalog. Just have to take the proper technical steps that doesn't require having or buying any other streaming boxes.

Just because you choose not to, doesn't mean the solutions aren't readily and easily available.

-----------------------------

Personally, I wouldn't recommend their international service to anyone, even at the reduced price, who already has access to the U.S.-based Amazon Prime service, which obviously has a much broader video catalog than their international version. But for $3 a month for the international version during their promotion for someone who does NOT have access to a U.S. account, it's pretty hard to complain about that pricing.

I'm not spreading any falsehoods at all! What are you on about? You continue to bang on about VPNs to access regular Amazon Video accounts. That's not the point. Understand?

The FACT is that neither the Fire TV nor Stick will work with Prime Video (which is what this is about, not gaining access to the regular Amazon Video by using a VPN to convince it you ARE in an Amazon account country). It even says that on the Fire device website. Fire TV / Stick are NOT supported. That that YOU choose to use a VPN to access a regular Amazon account does not change the FACT that Fire TV / Stick are NOT supported for Prime Video. So before you accuse people of spreading falsehoods try getting your facts right!!!!

Prime Video is the international service available in 242 countries and launched with a very limited catalogue. IMO even at the reduced price the catalogue is way inferior to Netflix and much poorer value for money. And the FACT is, if you buy a Fire device AS IS and expect it to work with Prime Video to legitimately access the Prime Video content AS IS, and as Amazon intend, IT WON'T WORK! You are the one confusing the issue by dialing in the use of VPNs to access a regular Amazon Video account. The topic here is PRIME VIDEO.

If you want to watch Prime Video you can do so on almost any Android device without any VPN at all. Any device except a Fire. If you are using a VPN you are not accessing Prime Video. Apples and oranges. So, for someone say in the US who wants to buy a box to watch Amazon Video in the US but travels outside and wants to watch PRIME VIDEO in one of those countries (not faff around with VPNs to access their regular account, an ENTIRELY different topic) you would be better off buying a Shield or another Android box which will work with Prime versus a Fire that won't.

Posted using Tapatalk

Now I have access to a computer where it's easier to copy / paste links, and for the sake of preventing accusations of spreading falsehoods on the basis anyone's own lack of knowledge / understanding.   The official AMAZON standpoint on supported devices with regard to Amazon's PRIME VIDEO  service (as opposed to the TOTALLY different subject of using a Fire Stick / TV with a VPN to hack access to a regular Amazon Video account):

https://www.primevideo.com/help/ref=dv_web_help_nd_nav?_encoding=UTF8&nodeId=202064920

Edited by SooKee

15 hours ago, SooKee said:

Prime Video is the international service available in 242 countries and launched with a very limited catalogue. IMO even at the reduced price the catalogue is way inferior to Netflix and much poorer value for money. And the FACT is, if you buy a Fire device AS IS and expect it to work with Prime Video to legitimately access the Prime Video content AS IS, and as Amazon intend, IT WON'T WORK! You are the one confusing the issue by dialing in the use of VPNs to access a regular Amazon Video account. The topic here is PRIME VIDEO.

Sorry about that, but you're simply wrong. Prime Video is also the name for the U.S. service that U.S. account holders such as myself get. So you're wrong to somehow think that any time I'm referring to Prime Video it means international, because it doesn't. And if you don't believe me, maybe you can check the email that Amazon sent me the other day re their Amazon Prime Video offerings in the U.S.

5957f0a71a6d9_2017-07-0201_48.jpg.5055a4f530ce7843828c58a08c7e737b.jpg

5957f0a877680_2017-07-0201_49.jpg.8b5c1b362e49b929942dd7c01dfc4ee8.jpg

At least in my post above, I was clear in distinguishing between Amazon's domestic U.S. Prime Video service, and their international service.

Admittedly, Amazon has been somewhat duplicative in their naming of the U.S. vs. the international versions of their video streaming service. Although, it's true the international version does run through "primevideo dot com" whereas the U.S. version runs through "amazon dot com."

fi

If there's a reason the international version of Amazon Prime Video isn't available on the Fire TV devices, I'm sure it's related to the fact that the Fire TV devices aren't yet being sold by Amazon in most of the international countries where the international video service is being offered.

I would imagine from Amazon's perspective, they're assuming that if someone has acquired and owns a Fire TV device, they already have an Amazon account in one of the handful of countries where Fire TVs and Prime Video were available before the later international rollout.

Long way around, if you had earlier said the limited INTERNATIONAL VERSION of Amazon Prime Video isn't available on Fire TV devices -- because that Amazon hardware is already registered to its country of sale/origin such as the U.S. or the UK along with the user's Amazon account, and thus gets the much broader video catalogs available from those countries -- that I would have agreed with 100%.

But the nice part of that situation is it's still relatively easy for anyone to take their U.S., UK, German, French, Italian, Spanish or whatever Fire TV device on the road with them and still get access to their full home country Amazon Prime Video catalog, whatever that may be.

Well. Whatever. Pointless debating it further as it's getting ridiculous. However given that this entire thread was started for and is about the launch of the INTERNATIONAL service as available in Thailand I would have thought it crystal clear what I was talking about. You are confusing the issue by throwing VPNs into the mix to access the regular Amazon account country services.  Not at all what is / was being discussed, until you introduced it.

The distinction I was using was SPECIFICALLY to clarify what devices are supported for the International service where Amazon also seem confused as to their labelling of services given that the Fire TV / Stick don't appear as supported devices under their own Prime Video website, which I post again:

https://www.primevideo.com/help/ref=dv_web_help_nd_nav?_encoding=UTF8&nodeId=202064920

Amazon go on to SPECIFICALLY talk about Prime Video here;

https://www.primevideo.com/help/ref=dv_web_help_nd_nav?_encoding=UTF8&nodeId=202064900

The Fire Stick / TV are also NOT listed as supported devices there.

Maybe Amazon have recently changed how they refer to the various services and the rest of the website and correspondence has not caught up.  Or maybe  their left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing because if it did, the Fire TV / Stick WOULD appear as supported devices under the Prime Video supported devices IF Amazon felt the label Prime Video referred to both their international and Amazon account country services.  Either way, in the context of this thread it's actually irrelevant and is needlessly skewing the point.  To access the service THIS THREAD is concerned with the Fire TV / Stick won't work - FACT, throwing VPNs into the mix to access Amazon account country content (which is clearly NOT what this thread is about) is confusing the issue.  Apples and oranges. Detracting from the point of the thread even further by splitting hairs over Amazon terminology merely, and needlessly, confuses the issue AND the point being made.

That being, buying a Fire NOW, post launch of the international service,  to watch in Amazon account countries and that if the user also wishes to access the INTERNATIONAL service legitimately the Fire is the wrong device to buy as it won't work.  Trouble is that is not easy information to find.  And, FWIW, the Amazon forums are full of people complaining about this having bought the devices pre and post the international service launch.  Simple fact is many people expect Amazon devices to work and for them to have been updated to work with all Amazon services, without wishing to faff about with VPNs or whatever.  Not too much to ask really.  Just using a VPN suits some doesn't mean it's a viable or desirable solution for everyone.  In that case, buy another device.

That's it from me on this point - life's too short.

Posted using Tapatalk

Edited by SooKee

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. Very disappointing that my Fire TV Stick won't play.

Playing it on my Android TV box. Not sure it plays HD or SD.

FYI, I used to subscribe a US prime and view it through a US vpn on TV stick in HD. But playing with Amazon Prime Video app on Android TV box only gave SD quality (US Prime).

Edited by Chotechai

3 minutes ago, Chotechai said:

Yes. Very disappointing that my Fire TV Stick won't play. 

Won't play what?

If you have a Fire TV Stick, did you buy it from Amazon in a country where they officially sell and support Fire TV Sticks?

And, do you have an Amazon account registered in a country where Amazon officially sells and supports Fire TV devices?

48 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Won't play what?

If you have a Fire TV Stick, did you buy it from Amazon in a country where they officially sell and support Fire TV Sticks?

And, do you have an Amazon account registered in a country where Amazon officially sells and supports Fire TV devices?

I bought the stick from B&H in US. I'm Thai and staying in Bangkok. I have Amazon account registered in Amazon main website 10 year back.

When I subscribed Amazon Prime ($9.99?) earlier (but cancelled since late last year), I can play all titles with the Fire TV stick, in HD quality, by connecting it to my US VPN wifi router. My Android TV box can play it too by Amazon Video Prime app (thru US VPN), but limited to SD quality only.

When I subscribed Amazon Prime Video ($2.99) for Thailand in Jan this year, no need for US VPN on my Android TV Box (have to check whether it plays in SD or HD); but Fire TV stick won't play any content, either with or without US VPN.

Edited by Chotechai

You need to read the discussion between myself and SooKee above...

Basically, with the situation you described for yourself, you can continue to use the Fire TV Stick and access the U.S. version of Amazon Prime Video using your U.S. Amazon account, assuming you have Prime status or subscribe to the U.S version of Prime Video with your U.S. Amazon account. And you'll need to use a U.S. VPN or DNS re-direct service on your wifi router, same as you've done in the past.

But the international/Thai version of Prime Video is an entirely different thing. Different price, and totally incompatible with the various Fire TV devices. Amazon doesn't sell or support Fire TV devices in Thailand and most of the other international countries, so the international version of Prime Video doesn't work on the Fire TV devices. Or in other words, there's no Fire TV app for the international version of Prime Video.

BTW, AFAIK, if you have a valid U.S. Amazon account with Prime status or Prime Video subscription, supposedly you can access SOME content of that via the Fire TV stick or box even when you're outside the U.S.

I've seen that before on my Fire TV devices when connecting from a non-U.S. IP address. The Fire TV home page comes up and it has a row of video content titled something like "Titles or Videos You can watch when abroad." But AFAIK, it's mostly limited to just Amazon's own original content where they presumably hold the worldwide rights.

I bought the stick from B&H in US. I'm Thai and staying in Bangkok. I have Amazon account registered in Amazon main website 10 year back.

When I subscribed Amazon Prime ($9.99?) earlier (but cancelled since late last year), I can play all titles with the Fire TV stick, in HD quality, by connecting it to my US VPN wifi router. My Android TV box can play it too by Amazon Video Prime app (thru US VPN), but limited to SD quality only.

When I subscribed Amazon Prime Video ($2.99) for Thailand in Jan this year, no need for US VPN on my Android TV Box (have to check whether it plays in SD or HD); but Fire TV stick won't play any content, either with or without US VPN.

Just to confirm that Amazon Prime Video app, or thru browser, on Android TV box still plays SD quality only; whilst ios devices can play HD.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

The only Android STB devices that will play Amazon Prime Video in HD are:

Prime Video International: Nvidia Shield

Prime Video (in an Amazon account country accessed via a VPN): Nvidia Shield, Fire TV / Stick and some of the Roku models.

All other STBs will get SD 480 only.

The full list regarding device compatibility is here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201460880

Note that the above list relates to Amazon Prime Video in Amazon account countries. The list of what devices are supported for the Prime Video International service which, confusingly, Amazon sometimes (on this website for example) labels as Prime Video is here:

https://www.primevideo.com/help?nodeId=202064920

Posted using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2017 at 1:10 PM, Chotechai said:

I can play all titles with the Fire TV stick, in HD quality, by connecting it to my US VPN wifi router. My Android TV box can play it too by Amazon Video Prime app (thru US VPN), but limited to SD quality only.

I have a new Fire TV Stick connected to a US Prime account but cannot actually play any titles. Using without a VPN I do see a section titles "Watch while abroad", but these don't want to play. They give me a geo-location error.

Trying to get connected to a VPN to I could get full access, I followed instructions online for installing the IPVanish VPN app into the Fire Stick and paying for a VPN account. Yet still cannot play any Prime content whatsoever.

How have the rest of you using a Firestick + US Prime + VPN manage to get this setup working?

2 hours ago, ywamer said:

I have a new Fire TV Stick connected to a US Prime account but cannot actually play any titles. Using without a VPN I do see a section titles "Watch while abroad", but these don't want to play. They give me a geo-location error.

Trying to get connected to a VPN to I could get full access, I followed instructions online for installing the IPVanish VPN app into the Fire Stick and paying for a VPN account. Yet still cannot play any Prime content whatsoever.

How have the rest of you using a Firestick + US Prime + VPN manage to get this setup working?

Without a VPN you won't be able to access your US account content and in terms of VPNs services like Netflix and Amazon are getting very good at identifying their IP address ranges and blocking them out such that there aren't so many that work well these days.  You might want to try Astrill and / or Express VPN on trials (assuming they still do them) to see if they work.  

Re Ywamer's post above, as someone who has some expertise with this:

--the best way to deal with U.S. Amazon Fire TV's is to use the appropriate VPN  account or DNS redirect service on your router, if possible. And then connect the Fire TV to that U.S. IP wifi signal. That's easier if you have your own router like an ASUS model, which has VPN client functionality built-in to its firmware. More difficult if you only have a Thai ISP's router and nothing else. But even with the Thai ISP routers, you can usually at least use a DNS redirect service in the router's settings like Smart DNS Proxy, which should play nice with the U.S. version of Amazon Prime.

--there doesn't seem to be a lot posted out in the web world about installing VPN Android apps directly onto a Fire TV via side loading. But it can be done successfully, and I've done it with my VPN's Android app on my Fire TV Box 2nd gen. One thing you have to deal with in that approach is gaining mouse functionality via a Fire TV app that provides it (like the FTV app "Remote for Fire TV", which includes mouse and keyboard functionality). Because, Android apps are looking for slide and tap commands, and the native Fire TV remote only provides clicks.

--For me, the router VPN approach is much preferable because, basically, it's always on, and you never have to deal with connecting or disconnecting the connection. With a VPN app sideloaded onto a Fire TV, my guess is you'd have to connect and then re-connect periodically. I'm not sure if the VPN connection would remain connected even after the Fire TV sleeps, but it's possible it would. I only set it up and tested it to see that it actually worked (which it did), but I've never given that approach extended use.

--As for VPN services in general, yes, Netflix and Hulu in particular have been trying hard to block VPN use. I don't think Amazon has done as much in that area, however. And despite that all, I've gone for years now with complete and full access to all my U.S. accounts and never had any insurmountable problems. So it's really not that hard a thing to handle, especially if you're making it clear to the VPN provider at the outset just what you need, and making sure they have servers that will accommodate that.

sorry to hijack this thread but it relates to something a little. I am interested in getting my kids a fire tablet as I like the kids controls on it but the content only seems to work when in certain countries and not abroad. Is is possible to view this in TH? Does anyone have one of these tablets for kids? happy to start a separate thread but I thought perhaps you chaps on here who seem very knowledgable could advise ?

11 minutes ago, stament said:

sorry to hijack this thread but it relates to something a little. I am interested in getting my kids a fire tablet as I like the kids controls on it but the content only seems to work when in certain countries and not abroad. Is is possible to view this in TH? Does anyone have one of these tablets for kids? happy to start a separate thread but I thought perhaps you chaps on here who seem very knowledgable could advise ?

I can't say for certain, as I've never had/used one of their kids tablets or its content. But I'm guessing, it comes down to the same kind of issues I addressed above, and that's that certain content on Amazon is only licensed for use in the U.S., and sometimes for specific other countries where Amazon Prime accounts are offered (UK, Germany, a few others). And right now, Thailand isn't among those.

To access the full array of kids content from Amazon, for starters, you'd probably need to have an Amazon account and the Fire tablet in question registered in one of those Prime eligible countries. And then, when using the tablet, it would need to be connected to an internet source that at least appears to be located in that same Prime-eligible country. For that purpose, see the advice I gave above in post #22.

However, dealing with Fire tablets is a whole lot easier than dealing with Fire TVs. Because, Fire tablets are very close to regular Android OS tablets. And thus you have the easy ability to download a regular Android app for a VPN service onto the Fire tablet and just use it with the VPN for your Prime-eligible country. Or, even more simply, I believe even the Fire OS still has a VPN setup capability for PPTP connections set into its firmware. Of course, if you had a router-based VPN in your home, you could accomplish the same result by connecting to that wifi.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I can't say for certain, as I've never had/used one of their kids tablets or its content. But I'm guessing, it comes down to the same kind of issues I addressed above, and that's that certain content on Amazon is only licensed for use in the U.S., and sometimes for specific other countries where Amazon Prime accounts are offered (UK, Germany, a few others). And right now, Thailand isn't among those.

To access the full array of kids content from Amazon, for starters, you'd probably need to have an Amazon account and the Fire tablet in question registered in one of those Prime eligible countries. And then, when using the tablet, it would need to be connected to an internet source that at least appears to be located in that same Prime-eligible country. For that purpose, see the advice I gave above in post #22.

However, dealing with Fire tablets is a whole lot easier than dealing with Fire TVs. Because, Fire tablets are very close to regular Android OS tablets. And thus you have the easy ability to download a regular Android app for a VPN service onto the Fire tablet and just use it with the VPN for your Prime-eligible country. Or, even more simply, I believe even the Fire OS still has a VPN setup capability for PPTP connections set into its firmware. Of course, if you had a router-based VPN in your home, you could accomplish the same result by connecting to that wifi.

Many thanks 

• 1 month later...

Quick update to this.  Following my recent experiences with a very good VPN I'm fairly certain that if you sign up for the International video service (currently still on offer AFAIK at $2.99 pm) that is all you will be able to get.  You cannot then use that membership to use a VPN into, say, the US or UK Prime video service.

I tried ALL MANNER of approaches trying to do just that but at every turn access was geo blocked even with using a US based server / IP address with a proven ability to connect to Amazon, a block which I'm 99.9% certain is implemented at the account level, rather than at the access / VPN level.  Essentially the account is an international account not a full Prime Video (Amazon country based account) and that's what you'll get regardless of how you access it.  

Further confirmed that this was the case today when I was able to switch to a full Prime trial in the US and 'bang', up came the full US catalogue, immediately.

So, if you wish to somehow access a full Amazon account country catalogue, signing up for this service and hoping to get into it via a VPN is not the way to go.