Germany releases details about suspected Berlin Christmas market attacker

webfact

Germany releases details about suspected Berlin Christmas market attacker

Robert Hackwill

606x341_353002.jpg

BERLIN: -- More details are emerging about the man all Europe’s police are now looking for on a European arrest warrant.

It appears the main suspect in the Berlin truck attack was previously known to German police, and a 100,000 euro reward is being offered for his capture.

He has been identified as Tunisian-born 24-year-old Anis Amri, who had previously served four years in an Italian prison for burning down a school. The public has been warned he is armed and possibly dangerous.

“The North Rhine-Westphalian state office for criminal investigations has initiated proceedings with the federal prosecutor-general because of suspicions of the preparation of a criminal offence endangering national security. The general prosecutor in Berlin was leading the ensuing investigations,” said North Rhine Westphalia’s Interior Minister Ralf Jaeger.

It appeared Amri had entered Germany in July 2015 and had his asylum application refused. Since November he had been considered a threat, but could not be deported because some of his Tunisian documents were missing.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-22

Presumably it was fairly easy to finger this suspect after he left his ID in the truck he carried out the attack in. This was very considerate of the jihadi to do this. Unfortunately it seems it took the cream of the German police intelligence 2 days to associate the dropped ID with the perpetrator, not very dynamic IMO. Might the hunt for the escaped jihadi also have been hampered by Merkels orders that video footage and photos of the event were not to be shared? As well as being further hampered by the photo of the missing jihadi being unable to be circulated due to potentially breaching his human rights?

News reports suggest that this North African man had been imprisoned in Italy for sexual assault as well as being arrested 3 times in Germany for various crimes, and yet he was still allowed to remain in Germany? Clearly he is totally above the law. Aside from that I fail to see how any Tunisian thug would be eligible for asylum in Germany? Anyone?

The "progressive" elites of EU have brought us to the ridiculous contradiction where the EU is importing terrorists wholesale in the name of "humanitarianism".

Who speaks for the human rights of those slaughtered in Berlin? In Nice? In Paris, in Munich, in Brussels............

No wonder the people are turning to politicians such as Wilders, Le Pen and Jimmie Akesson.

You can have an open society or you can have moslems. Merkel, the former East German Stasi, wants moslems. That way she'll be able to reinstitute the police state of her youth. Everyone thought East Germany would be absorbed by West Germany. Turns out it's the other way around.

5 hours ago, jaidam said:

Presumably it was fairly easy to finger this suspect after he left his ID in the truck he carried out the attack in. This was very considerate of the jihadi to do this. Unfortunately it seems it took the cream of the German police intelligence 2 days to associate the dropped ID with the perpetrator, not very dynamic IMO. Might the hunt for the escaped jihadi also have been hampered by Merkels orders that video footage and photos of the event were not to be shared? As well as being further hampered by the photo of the missing jihadi being unable to be circulated due to potentially breaching his human rights?

News reports suggest that this North African man had been imprisoned in Italy for sexual assault as well as being arrested 3 times in Germany for various crimes, and yet he was still allowed to remain in Germany? Clearly he is totally above the law. Aside from that I fail to see how any Tunisian thug would be eligible for asylum in Germany? Anyone?

Whereas I would agree with your post in principle Jaidam, I could also present a counter-argument in favour of the German authorities.

Just because a person's ID is present at the scene of a crime doesn't automatically mean that person is guilty. (It could well have been left there as a diversion to aid the escape of the actual culprit). I would argue that the police were investigating other evidence before making an announcement that they were certain (or rather, more certain) about.

We may have been in Thailand too long to understand the logic of the above sentence.........................;).

21 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Whereas I would agree with your post in principle Jaidam, I could also present a counter-argument in favour of the German authorities.

Just because a person's ID is present at the scene of a crime doesn't automatically mean that person is guilty. (It could well have been left there as a diversion to aid the escape of the actual culprit). I would argue that the police were investigating other evidence before making an announcement that they were certain (or rather, more certain) about.

We may have been in Thailand too long to understand the logic of the above sentence.........................;).

Fair point, but can we agree that upon finding the dropped ID at the crime scene, the trained police force would at least want to exclude the person asap, rather than happily arrest the Pakistani criminal(who since being released has now vanished)? That would involve some basic checks on the guy. So, German top brass would have immediately discovered that the lad had been a) trained in weaponry by an ISIS affiliated group, B) had been sentenced to jail in Italy for a brutal arson attack on a "refugee" camp c) had several arrests in Germany for a variety of crimes this year alone d) was wanted elsewhere in Europe e)was being watched after being implicated in a different terror plot....and on ... and on... The thrust of my argument being,  he should not have been in Germany in the 1st place, and that this clear enemy of and danger to society was both in Germany, and free to move around willy-nilly represents much more than a simple failure of authorities. Merkel must be held personally responsible for her part in this mass murder spree. Anything less would again be a complete travesty and denial of justice.

He is African. He entered Europe illegally. He burned down a school in Italy. He served 4 years in prison.
He then entered Germany after his release from prison. His asylum application was refused but remained in Germany. He committed 3 further crimes in Germany whilst awaiting deportation. Last month, this person was considered a threat to Germany due to his extreme Islamist links. He still couldn't be deported?
Clearly the laws of Germany in relation to asylum seekers need to be changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Does Germany have a law against treason?

The US does, which includes the provision for 'aid and comfort' to the enemies of the state, thus:

Any act that deliberately strengthens or tends to strengthen enemies of the US, or that weakens or tends to weaken the power of the US to resist and attack such enemies.

Replace 'US' with 'Germany' and the case against her is surely made.

57 minutes ago, Vegetablebottom said:

Can't be deported? Are German lawmakers insane? he asked rhetorically

No-one is saying the individual could not be deported, but there is a legal & bureaucratic process to navigate. Germany had asked the Tunisian govt to provide doco to confirm his ID/citizenship. There were delays with the request & sadly doco was not received until the day of the mass murders.

What a shambles, makes the BIB look efficient ! This cockroach has previous convictions, known to police and security services in Germany and Italy, as already pointed out he couldn't be deported without papers because of due process, but as a failed asylum seeker he could have been held in a detention centre until his docs arrived.

Political correctness killed those innocent people ..

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

No-one is saying the individual could not be deported, but there is a legal & bureaucratic process to navigate. Germany had asked the Tunisian govt to provide doco to confirm his ID/citizenship. There were delays with the request & sadly doco was not received until the day of the mass murders.

If he was a candidate for deportation he ought to have been in custody. Or at the very least, more properly monitored. If he was already convicted and imprisoned for his crimes in Italy, he should have been kicked out anyway. Taking in refugees or migrants may hold some merit, but extending it to criminal and terrorist elements does not.

9 hours ago, jaidam said:

Did Merkel actually "order" video footage and photos of the event not to be shared?

News reports suggested he was imprisoned in Italy for burning a school. Sexual assault?

3 hours ago, jaidam said:

Fair point, but can we agree that upon finding the dropped ID at the crime scene, the trained police force would at least want to exclude the person asap, rather than happily arrest the Pakistani criminal(who since being released has now vanished)? That would involve some basic checks on the guy. So, German top brass would have immediately discovered that the lad had been a) trained in weaponry by an ISIS affiliated group, B) had been sentenced to jail in Italy for a brutal arson attack on a "refugee" camp c) had several arrests in Germany for a variety of crimes this year alone d) was wanted elsewhere in Europe e)was being watched after being implicated in a different terror plot....and on ... and on... The thrust of my argument being,  he should not have been in Germany in the 1st place, and that this clear enemy of and danger to society was both in Germany, and free to move around willy-nilly represents much more than a simple failure of authorities. Merkel must be held personally responsible for her part in this mass murder spree. Anything less would again be a complete travesty and denial of justice.

Issues of cooperation and coordination between law enforcement and intelligence agencies within Germany were discussed in the past. The same goes for inter-state level, even within the EU. Addressing these issues, though, may run into some resistance related to fears of EU centralization and control. This is no excuse, of course, for the obvious blunders the OP highlights, but serves as context for those favoring conspiracy theory versions of events.

Allow me to doubt your authority or credentials when it comes to interpretations of German law and justice in general.

9 minutes ago, Morch said:

If he was a candidate for deportation he ought to have been in custody. Or at the very least, more properly monitored. If he was already convicted and imprisoned for his crimes in Italy, he should have been kicked out anyway. Taking in refugees or migrants may hold some merit, but extending it to criminal and terrorist elements does not.

It's a developing story so unsure of the factual detail. However, I agree he should have been in custody whilst the authorities sorted out the ID issues. I assume currently there are some limitation/s in German law as to why he was not held.

The guy was monitored for a period of time when he was suspected of planning a robbery to acquire funds to buy arms, but was lifted after a period of time. Again he couldn't be 'kicked out' as the German authorities were unsure of his ID credentials which it is claimed were requested for clarification from the Tunisian govt in July, but only received on the day of the attack.

19 minutes ago, simple1 said:

It's a developing story so unsure of the factual detail. However, I agree he should have been in custody whilst the authorities sorted out the ID issues. I assume currently there are some limitation/s in German law as to why he was not held.

The guy was monitored for a period of time when he was suspected of planning a robbery to acquire funds to buy arms, but was lifted after a period of time. Again he couldn't be 'kicked out' as the German authorities were unsure of his ID credentials which it is claimed were requested for clarification from the Tunisian govt in July, but only received on the day of the attack.

Meant he should have been kicked out right after serving time in Italy. Citizens of a country (or by extension, of the EU) ought to be given second chances and all that. If you're a guest, different rules apply. Or ought to apply. The same goes for planning a robbery or acquiring funds to buy arms. Something along the lines of breaking probation conditions.

Limitations of German law (if this applies) or lack of cooperation between agencies and countries are not new issues when it comes to such cases. If nothing else, Merkel ought to have been busy ironing out some of these problems.

Did Merkel actually "order" video footage and photos of the event not to be shared?
News reports suggested he was imprisoned in Italy for burning a school. Sexual assault?

Just listening to the BBC radio, apparently there is no CCTV footage of the attack, no cameras anywhere near the site. Strict laws cover CCTV location, I'm sure they also said Dash cams are prohibited.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

7 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

He is African. He entered Europe illegally. He burned down a school in Italy. He served 4 years in prison.
He then entered Germany after his release from prison. His asylum application was refused but remained in Germany. He committed 3 further crimes in Germany whilst awaiting deportation. Last month, this person was considered a threat to Germany due to his extreme Islamist links. He still couldn't be deported?

Sums up the whole situation. Completely insane

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

Just listening to the BBC radio, apparently there is no CCTV footage of the attack, no cameras anywhere near the site. Strict laws cover CCTV location, I'm sure they also said Dash cams are prohibited.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

And is that the same as asserting that Merkel "ordered" it?

15 hours ago, jaidam said:

the "forgotten ID" is a running gag among investigation services - usually it means that the perpetrator has been identifed through means that cannot be made public.

8 hours ago, simple1 said:

But being violent and categorized a threat, he should have been put in "Abschiebehaft" (detention until deportation), not let free.

The system is too lax.

In general, I would advocate deporting any foreigner that has been sentenced to a non-compounded prison sentence of more than 3 months for violent crimes.

Edited by manarak

19 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

With his record, he needs exterminating.

When are we going to get real with these people?

The relatives of the murdered people should be able to sue Merkel & all these other bleeding heart, do-gooder, PC Idiots, who support "multiculturism".