Bangkok Bank App Sending funds to UK

Anybody sent funds from their Bangkok Bank App back to UK bank account recently? Is it reliable ? Is there a limit on sending ? Does it require phone confirmation ? 
As I’m in the UK at the moment and thinking of sending 400,000 back to my UK account 

advice would be helpful 

Thanks

I have read several times that the app will not allow you to transfer funds overseas, to an account in your own name. That is in keeping with BOT rules regarding overseas funds transfers that require specific criteria to be met and supporting evidence.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Can Wise send from Thailand to UK?

I don't think so.

Sorry, I forgot, not directly using bank transfer from Thai bank accounts but using Thai debit/credit cards you can still take out money from Thailand cheaper than direct swift transfer

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I have read several times that the app will not allow you to transfer funds overseas, to an account in your own name. That is in keeping with BOT rules regarding overseas funds transfers that require specific criteria to be met and supporting evidence.

Yes I have heard the same from several sources.  Never tried it myself but I do believe that BOT very much makes it very hard to transfer Baht overseas.  

Next tiem the OP visits Thailand - take it out in cash - get currency exchanged to UK Pound in BKK - keep documents and bank statement (print out the book so up to date) - take the cash back to UK (declare at airport if over limit UK Immigration imposes - show the documents/book). 

5 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yes I have heard the same from several sources.  Never tried it myself but I do believe that BOT very much makes it very hard to transfer Baht overseas.  

Next tiem the OP visits Thailand - take it out in cash - get currency exchanged to UK Pound in BKK - keep documents and bank statement (print out the book so up to date) - take the cash back to UK (declare at airport if over limit UK Immigration imposes - show the documents/book). 

What sort of rate would you get buying GBP with THB in Bkk? 

3 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

THB is still a restricted currency, it is not freely convertible. It can only be sent overseas in limited amounts to specific neighbouring countries, otherwise it must be exchanged for foreign currency beforehand, by the remitting bank.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What sort of rate would you get buying GBP with THB in Bkk? 

My past dealings showed SuperRich to offer the best rates - things may have changed since Covid, but maybe the same.

image.png.bf5cada5d149f47cfbdcd7c7c23dd2ab.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

Sorry, I forgot, not directly using bank transfer from Thai bank accounts but using Thai debit/credit cards you can still take out money from Thailand cheaper than direct swift transfer

Very interested as I wouldn't mind doing so.

Have you actually succeeded in doing so, or is it pure theory.

Edited by foreverlomsak
Brain working quicker than fingers

24 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Very interested as I wouldn't mind doing so.

Have you actually succeeded in doing so, or is it pure theory.

Last I did it it was EUR-> GBP, then I paid for that with Thai credit card

11 hours ago, jasonr3255 said:

Anybody sent funds from their Bangkok Bank App back to UK bank account recently? Is it reliable ? Is there a limit on sending ? Does it require phone confirmation ? 
As I’m in the UK at the moment and thinking of sending 400,000 back to my UK account 

advice would be helpful 

Thanks

In April last year I sent about 300,000 baht to my UK Bank Account from my Thai Bank with DeeMoney.

Worked well...  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, digbeth said:

Be careful using Thai cards to make foreign payments/withdrawals.  I checked the terms and conditions on my Bangkok bank debit card (MasterCard) and they charge an extra 1.5% fee on transactions outside of Thailand.  The exchange rate used is determined by MasterCard and can be found on their webiste:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/personal/get-support/convert-currency.html

Sent 50 k and 150 k baht from my Bkk bank account recently. Very straightforward. Takes about 3 working days. Don’t listen to people who haven’t done it. Like so many things it’s much easier just to go on the App and do it rather than going to banks. 

On 4/7/2024 at 9:07 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:
On 4/7/2024 at 8:22 AM, Mike Lister said:

You need to stop listening to barstool 'experts'. I have made many swift transfers to my UK bank from Bangkok Bank online. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Out-of-Thailand/IFT-mB

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

You need to stop listening to barstool 'experts'. I have made many swift transfers to my UK bank from Bangkok Bank online. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Out-of-Thailand/IFT-mB

Presumably you do because your link says:

Foreigners

• Repatriation of income
  • Educational expenses
  • Travel expenses
  • Personal expenses
  • Payment for goods
  • Payment for services
  • Gifts

I am with Krung Thaio and you can no longer do online transactions on a website, it's a mobile app only.

For any large transaction, I had to present myself in the bank and send it the old-fashioned Swift transfer method.

When I was transferring smaller amounts I used Dee Money, but found them very slow and cumbersome compared to Wise transfers, but you can send money out from Thailand using Wise.

I have just signed up with two other companies for money transfers, NETELLER and SKRILL, to see if they are any better.

Does anybody on AN have any experience with these two?

21 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Seriously?? I wonder why I bother talking to the 'less informed' on this forum.

You have to have an FCD Account - read and get informed mate.

Foreign Currency Deposit Account (bangkokbank.com)

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, john donson said:

when I asked, it was the classic THAI only...

This is on Bangkok banks website

"FCD Account for Non-Residents is for foreigners who would like to hold incoming foreign funds without needing to immediately convert them to baht or for those living in Thailand who want to convert and save their Thai earnings in a foreign currency"

Has anything changed then? This time last year I sent funds back to UK account both from Bangkok Bank online ( not app) and using DeeMoney. I had to  register first for overseas transfers with both. BB registration proved easy as I have accounts with them. All done online. Approval within 24 hours. Dee Money Online require uploading of a few documents first time and took a few days to grant approval. I sent a total of 200k in several tranches over a few days using both as their charging structures and conversion rates were different and I wanted to see which was most cost effective and quickest. Both ask for the reason for the transfer out as you set up the transaction. DeeMoney guarantee next day if you set up the transaction before noon but several times that did not happen, the money arriving in about 36 hours, for which I got apology and a free transfer code for the next transfer.

Unfortunately Wise still do not have a presence in Thailand although I use them all the time to send money here.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2024 at 12:22 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Seriously?? I wonder why I bother talking to the 'less informed' on this forum.

You have to have an FCD Account - read and get informed mate.

Foreign Currency Deposit Account (bangkokbank.com)

I don't have an FCD account but I send swift transfers 2 or 3 times a year to my First Direct (HSBC) in the UK

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2024 at 7:42 PM, john donson said:

when I asked, it was the classic THAI only...

Don't ask as they don't know so they say that. You have to register but it is easily done online with Bangkok Bank. The option is on the app also but I've never tried that. My Swift transfers only work during office hours so I expect it is manually checked.

3 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

No, I do not have a work permit. 

I have online banking with two banks here and have had for well over over a decade, I can send funds to the UK online, within limits, I do not have a work permit. I also have the Bangkok Bank app but I am unable to send funds overseas, to an account in my own name. Which parts of those things are you able to/unable to do in contrast to what I can do?