Turkey links Russian envoy's killer to US-based cleric Gulen

webfact

Turkey links Russian envoy's killer to US-based cleric Gulen

By SUZAN FRASER

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's president on Wednesday implicated a U.S.-based Muslim cleric in the killing of Russia's envoy to Turkey, saying the policeman who carried out the attack was a member of his "terror organization."

Ambassador Andrei Karlov was killed Monday evening by a gunman in front of stunned onlookers at a photo exhibition in Ankara. The assassin, Mevlut Mert Altintas of Ankara's riot police squad, was killed in a police operation.

"He (Altintas) was a member of the FETO terrorist organization. There is no point in hiding this," President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said during a joint news conference with his visiting Albanian counterpart. "From the places he was raised to his connections — that's what they point at."

Turkey has accused Fethullah Gulen — a former ally who has turned into Erdogan's top foe — of trying to destabilize Turkey and says his movement is behind a failed military coup in July aimed at toppling the Turkish leader. Gulen has denied any involvement in the coup. His movement also condemned "in the strongest terms" the ambassador's assassination.

The government however, has labeled the movement "the FETO terror organization" and has cracked down on Gulen's followers, arresting tens of thousands of people for their alleged link to the coup and purging more than 100,000 suspected supporters from government jobs.

Turkey is also pressing the United States to extradite Gulen so he may be prosecuted for the coup attempt and other alleged crimes.

Erdogan told reporters that Turkey's intelligence agency was also looking into Altintas' possible foreign connections, saying there were "certain clues" indicating overseas links. He did not elaborate.

Turkey has been rife with speculation about Altintas' motive and possible links to Gulen, but Erdogan's statement was the first time a senior official openly blamed the killing on the movement.

On Tuesday evening, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu spoke with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry by phone and provided information on the assailant, according to an official in his ministry. The official, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with government rules, said Cavusoglu also told Kerry that both Turkey and Russia "know" that Gulen's movement was behind the attack.

During the phone call, Kerry raised concerns about "some of the rhetoric coming out of Turkey with respect to American involvement or support, tacit or otherwise, for this unspeakable assassination yesterday because of the presence of Mr. Gulen here in the United States," Kerry's spokesman John Kirby said.

"It's a ludicrous claim, absolutely false," Kirby said. "We need to let the investigators do their job and we need to let the facts and the evidence take them where it is before we jump to conclusions."

Russia flew a team of 18 investigators and foreign ministry officials to Turkey to participate in the investigation. In Moscow, President Vladimir Putin's spokesman indicated that Russia doesn't believe the 22-year-old gunman acted on his own, but refused to explain the reasons for the suspicion.

"We shouldn't rush with any theories before the investigators establish who were behind the assassination of our ambassador," spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Wednesday.

Neighbors in Altintas' hometown of Soke in western Turkey near the Aegean coast described a quiet, respectable family who showed no signs of radicalization.

"To me, he appeared to be a well-meaning, calm fellow. That's how I saw him. His mother and father are good people," said neighbor Zeki Inan, 74. "We were shocked when we heard that this boy did this. We could not believe it."

Turkey's state-run Anadolu Agency raised the number of people detained in connection to the attack to 11, including Altintas' parents, sister, three other relatives and his roommate.

The agency said investigators, among other things, were trying to determine whether anyone from the Russian Embassy may have provided the gunman with information about Karlov as well as the gunman's links to possible Gulenists within Turkey's police force.

Citing the Ankara prosecutor's office, Anadolu said the gunman, who had three spare cartridges on him as well as more than 20 bullets in his pocket, ignored calls for him to surrender after he had shot the ambassador, and opened fire on police, taking shelter behind a wall. It said special forces police who stormed the art gallery shot Altintas in the feet, legs and knees but that he continued to fire on police from the ground, shouting that he "would not be captured alive."

The report said investigators believe the security forces killed Altintas, fearing he may have had a bomb on him.

Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus, speaking to Turkish state television TRT, also said the gunman is not believed to have acted alone.

"This is not an ordinary attack that was conducted by a lone man," Kurtulmus said. "There are some people who directed (him) behind the scenes, who led him into carry out such a plan, who wanted to obtain political gains."

"Those who are behind this pawn wanted to disrupt ...Turkish-Russian relations in an irreparable way. But they won't succeed," he said.

___

Mehmet Guzel in Soke, Turkey, Elena Becatoros in Ankara, Bradley Klapper in Washington and Nataliya Vasilyeva in Moscow contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-12-22

Turkey and it's wannabe sultan/president  Edrogan

has so many enemies within and out side of it, it's hard to tell

what has brought the assassination about and the more

Turkey will continue with it's hardline policies against

the Kurdish minority and other fringe groups, people will be killed

and bombs will blow up frequently....

What a brilliant bit of deflection.....somehow implicate the US in an assassination of a Russian diplomat, by a Turkish Police officer in Turkey.    

I suppose it was the CIA in charge of security at the art gallery?

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Anybody else notice the doublethink here? When this kind of violence happens in countries whose government a poster approves of, then it's labeled as terrorism and it must be addressed ruthlessly. But when it's a government a poster doesn't approve of, then it's the fault of the government in question, the government was asking for it. Odd how that works.

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Anybody else notice the doublethink here? When this kind of violence happens in countries whose government a poster approves of, then it's labeled as terrorism and it must be addressed ruthlessly. But when it's a government a poster doesn't approve of, then it's the fault of the government in question, the government was asking for it. Odd how that works.

Not so sure about that.  Unless you are an ardent Erdogan supporter, he's caused lots of problems recently.  Including firing 100,000 people.  And putting many in jail.  There's guaranteed blow back from stuff like this.  Especially in that part of the world.  Either way, it's murder no matter the circumstances.

16 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Not so sure about that.  Unless you are an ardent Erdogan supporter, he's caused lots of problems recently.  Including firing 100,000 people.  And putting many in jail.  There's guaranteed blow back from stuff like this.  Especially in that part of the world.  Either way, it's murder no matter the circumstances.

Another instance of confirming what I wrote. God forbid you would use the T word to describe this or the various bombings in Turkey that weren't the responsibility of Isil.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Kind of reminds me of Stalin. Perceived and non perceived enemies were cannon fodder. By killing people enmass you eventually get a few bad apples. 

4 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I don't think an assassination fits the definition of terrorism and I must say laying the blame on a guy in the US that is being watched like a hawk is a bit of a stretch. I can think of a few reasons somebody in that region may want to kill a soviet, or american diplomat.

15 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

By the same token Flight 77 hitting the Pentagon and the US Embassy attack in Libya were not terrorism either.

If you don't think that an airliner flying over your Neighborhood and crashing into your countries defense system headquarters would strike terror in the minds of your countries people then I guess you are right. I'm not sure of the motive behind the Embassy attack but if it was specific and not random then you would be correct. JFK was assassinated and I don't recall terrorism as a possibility even if Castro had it done. Terrorists don't care who they kill even their own will do. They want to strike terror into people and control them that way.

5 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Another instance of confirming what I wrote. God forbid you would use the T word to describe this or the various bombings in Turkey that weren't the responsibility of Isil.

46 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I don't think an assassination fits the definition of terrorism and I must say laying the blame on a guy in the US that is being watched like a hawk is a bit of a stretch. I can think of a few reasons somebody in that region may want to kill a soviet, or american diplomat.

Terrorism | Define Terrorism at Dictionary.com

www.dictionary.com/browse/terrorism
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes. 2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization. 3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

But even if you don't like this definition, the fact is instead of outright condemnation the way it would be for countries a poster might approve of, in this case it seemed to reference karma instead.

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Terrorism | Define Terrorism at Dictionary.com

www.dictionary.com/browse/terrorism
the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes. 2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization. 3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

But even if you don't like this definition, the fact is instead of outright condemnation the way it would be for countries a poster might approve of, in this case it seemed to reference karma instead.

Yes that is the definition and does not apply to an assassination the way I see it.  Do you think this assassination has really terrorized anybody. Do you think Russia or Turkey are in a state of fear over this. Do you think the next door neighbor to this building is in fear over this. I don't.

47 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

By the same token Flight 77 hitting the Pentagon and the US Embassy attack in Libya were not terrorism either.

Apples and oranges.  But yes, the assassination in Turkey can be construed as being terrorism.  Splitting hairs, IMHO.

9 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Do you think this assassination has really terrorized anybody. Do you think Russia or Turkey are in a state of fear over this.

You don't think the Russian diplomats/civil servants etc deployed around the world feel terrorized?

How about if a US president had been shot under the exact same circumstances ...not terrorism right?

Is it only 'terrorism' if it's on one of ours & committed by one of theirs?

Edited by onthesoi

Just now, onthesoi said:

Was it just a coincidence that he shot him while the tv news cameras were rolling?

No I think it would be a lot easier to know where he would be when the cameras were rolling, should he have tried to figure out where he would be prior or after that? Do you think the ambassador stands around making small talk before these events?  Many times the camera is rolling before and after the dignitary enters and leaves the room.

6 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

You don't think the Russian diplomats/civil servants etc deployed around the world feel terrorized?

How about if a US president had been shot under the exact same circumstances ...not terrorism right?

Is it only 'terrorism' if it's on one of ours & committed by one of theirs?

No I don't think those Russian diplomats/ civil servants etc are terrorized and if they are I would be more than happy to fill their position if the money is right which I'm sure it is.

As I stated in post 18, JFK was assassinated and I don't recall any mention of terrorism although Cuba's Fidel Castro was one of the top suspects in that.

No it isn't. The Oklahoma bombing in the US was clearly a terrorist attack and was declared to be, while at that time we had no reason to believe it came from outside the country, and it didn't.

52 minutes ago, Grubster said:

As I stated in post 18, JFK was assassinated and I don't recall any mention of terrorism although Cuba's Fidel Castro was one of the top suspects in that.

Once more with feeling: " How about if a US president had been shot under the exact same circumstances" ?

2 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Once more with feeling: " How about if a US president had been shot under the exact same circumstances" ?

So you think JFK's assassination in the middle of a national parade broadcasted live all over the world wouldn't qualify?  What circumstances?

13 minutes ago, Grubster said:

So you think JFK's assassination in the middle of a national parade broadcasted live all over the world wouldn't qualify?  What circumstances?

It's not very complicated, same date, same location, same venue, same gunman shouting allahu akbar &  pointing to the sky etc, but replace the victim with an American president.

ps

JFK wasn't a terrorist attack because the perpetrator was a white boy and  former U.S. Marine ;)

& Andrei Karlov's assassination was also broadcast all over the world.

Edited by onthesoi

1 hour ago, onthesoi said:

It's not very complicated, same date, same location, same venue, same gunman shouting allahu akbar &  pointing to the sky etc, but replace the victim with an American president.

ps

JFK wasn't a terrorist attack because the perpetrator was a white boy and  former U.S. Marine ;)

& Andrei Karlov's assassination was also broadcast all over the world.

What about the Oklahoma bombing by two " White Boys". That was declared a terrorist attack because it was and that is all. From your statements I would guess you are a black boy or a black lives matter boy or both, maybe a muslim boy too, I don't care who or what you are, just bug off.

13 hours ago, kotsak said:

In other news: "Russian ambassador's assassin 'guarded Recep Tayyip Erdogan'"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/21/russian-ambassadors-assassin-guarded-recep-tayyip-erdogan/

If I understand correctly, he was nowhere near enough to Erdogan, as his unit was used as backup or second tier protection.