Air pressure in tyres for pickup truck

ghworker2010

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 22/12/2016 at 6:46 PM, duanebigsby said:

Long time ago, a friend who had always had bicycles bought an old VW 412 and we were driving down the highway at 100kph.

Huge BANG!. The front tire exploded taking the entire fender off with it. He manages to pull the car over and I asked how much pressure in the tires man? Well 100lbs he says. That's what I always put in my bicycle. We quickly let the excess out of them before continuing.

Too funny!

A few weeks ago on another thread l did mention about excess tyre pressure on my company Pickup while in New Guinea.

We used to run 80psi in our lsuzu dump trucks & thats what my boys put in to my pickup when they fitted a set of tyres.

l had to go into town to pick up parts & the ride was so rough & all over the road.

Checked the tyres in town & yep 80psi.

l quickly let them down to 30psi. When l got back to the workshop, l called in my boys & explained it all to them.

Not their fault, no one had ever told them.

It was a short trip, guess l was lucky.

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

Fill yourself with gordongin or gilbysgin and you'll never know what the pressures were.

Looks like you're in the middle of trying your own suggestion.  I'll have a large one of those "gordongins" please.

13 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I run nitrogen in the front @ 31.25 psi and air in the back @ 33.67 psi.

Good combo !!

That's the wrong way around ...because nitrogen is lighter than air ... to balance the weight of the tyres (front to rear) you need the nitrogen to be at the higher pressure ...to get more of it in the tyres so more weight.

So nitrogen should be in the rear tyres ... the ones that have the greater pressue.

I don't know why you got that that wrong ...after several glasses of wine it just seemed so obvious to me ........☺☺☺

8 hours ago, JAS21 said:

That's the wrong way around ...because nitrogen is lighter than air ... to balance the weight of the tyres (front to rear) you need the nitrogen to be at the higher pressure ...to get more of it in the tyres so more weight.

So nitrogen should be in the rear tyres ... the ones that have the greater pressue.

I don't know why you got that that wrong ...after several glasses of wine it just seemed so obvious to me ........☺☺☺

I run the heavier air in the rear to assist with traction, These pickups are already too light in the rear without a load in em. No point making it lighter.

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I run the heavier air in the rear to assist with traction, These pickups are already too light in the rear without a load in em. No point making it lighter.

True, that is thinking 'Outside The Box' I see things in a different light this morning ...topic may well be turning in that direction also...???

4 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Fill em with water like Farmers do with Tractors

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Nah if I did that then I'd have to use nitrogen otherwise the water will boil.

I think hammering on a few pounds of wheel weights would be a better solution.

Edited by Don Mega

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

I dont drive pickup any faster than 25mph as it  feels like it will roll over at any moment.

Ah - the Balance factor Grasshopper. Do you put extra weight on the passenger side of the car/truck when driving alone ?  Sounds like your off kilter. Carry 24 - or 48 - or 96 bottles of beer on the floor next time, depending on how much you weigh. It will all Balance out.

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Ah - the Balance factor Grasshopper. Do you put extra weight on the passenger side of the car/truck when driving alone ?  Sounds like your off kilter. Carry 24 - or 48 - or 96 bottles of beer on the floor next time, depending on how much you weigh. It will all Balance out.

I only ever drive with the fuel tank at no less than 3/4 full, this balances the left to right weight distribution.

I go to the tyre repair shop in Wang Si Phun and yesterday the woman who works there said if we are carrying 2 tonne of load we should put 80psi in the rear tyres.......and she said it with a straight face!

The contact patch keeping you and your loved ones safe on a road is only a few square inches per corner. It would seem knowing how the best way to keep this small contact patch in contact with the road is life saving knowledge.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...