Moving to Udon - whats it like

thelongshoot

1 hour ago, elliss said:

I wonder how many posters  on  TV.  and  including local forums ,

actually  live  in  Thailand ?.  Not  many .  

Sad  and  lonely people ,  living  in their  Cyber  caves .  

Bite me

Hairyharry's post summed up Udon pretty well. Been living here for nearly 7 years. Within the urban and suburban area internet, electric and water are reasonably good (you can go a month without cuts sometimes) and there are many places to rent - you can find one anywhere within a few hours (Most are just thai language signs). Then just up to what you want. Nightlife scene for farang pretty dire compared to 5-10 years ago, but still plenty of quite relaxing bars - mostly out of town centre. In town mainly cater for the 2 week millionaires and often empty these days as less of them, and the residents are getting older, most came in the last 10 years so stay at home more. Resident expats outnumber tourists about ten to one. Food not a problem - well any more than elsewhere in Thailand.

Yes, you need something to do unless you like alcohol a lot. I do gardening, fishing and Bridge apart from the computer. Build up a small social circle to meet up for a drink and a natter once or twice a week to keep the jungle fever at bay. traffic has exploded in the last 5 years and traffic jams at commuting time or holidays bad on the ring road and inside it. 3 website/forums i would recommend for research - Udon-news.com, Udonmap and Udontalk.

Good luck

Udon Really? Nobody went there to live full time unless they were dead broke or had a partner who had family there.. Or were taking a one day break before a border run. Don't do it, Chiang mai is a bit nowhere but compared to Udon...

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

On 12/24/2016 at 5:47 AM, Grubster said:

Wings 23, on military base, OK nine hole about 350 baht for 18 with caddy walking only.  All these have adequate shower facilities or better.

I don't play golf, but Wing 23 looks immaculate and they have a little freezing cold juice bar next to what seems to be the driving range. Surely the big thing about Udon is large amounts of greenery in the urban space, and a shopping area you can walk around? Nong Bua park is really nice, and Nong Prajak is brilliant. 

The bloke who rented the house from the folk below paid (IIRC) 15,000 baht a month this August 2016. Mrs Dowdy's okay. He was moving to the outskirts, but he had a pretty cool little existence: detached house, walking distance to a park, gym, shopping center and markets, and a quick bike ride to Nong Prajak. 

Cities really benefit from green spaces. 

http://www.santipranplace.com/index.html

Edited by Craig krup

We have a house just off the AH12,  200 yards from Playport in a nice secured complex, its fab, only 5 minutes drive from Tesco Lotus one way or Big C the other way. Its out of the city centre, close to the airport, security gates and a decent driveway with a carport...... I could not love in town though its too much of a Hub. (its my age though) :D :D

On 12/30/2016 at 2:00 AM, mcfish said:

Udon Really? Nobody went there to live full time unless they were dead broke or had a partner who had family there.. Or were taking a one day break before a border run. Don't do it, Chiang mai is a bit nowhere but compared to Udon...

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

You're incorrect and I think your disparagement is unwarranted.

I've lived just outside the Udon ring road on retirement extensions for five years. I'm a long way from being flat broke and my In-laws live 470km west of here - well outside the Minimum Safe Distance for Thai relatives. In the next road of the complex is another chap who bought here after a lucrative career in O&G. His wife's family live 380km south-east of here. I doubt that we're the only ones.

The city has just about everything I want in quite a compact area. I've met some articulate and engaging people since coming here (rickudon above is one of them) and I enjoy my life here immensely. I was in Bangkok for most of last week and just wanted to get back home as soon as possible. 

I qualify for my O.A.P. in 2022; I hope to still be here in Udon when I get it.

You don't say what nationality you are but if you are an American veteran there is a VFW post in Udorn with about 240 members. If not an American veteran you can go as a guest if you want to meet some expats who live in Udon and know their way around. It is a nice city in my opinion, quiet and almost no tourists. Good courses to golf and much cheaper than Hua Hin.

http://www.vfw10249.org/

On 12/30/2016 at 1:02 AM, rickudon said:

Hairyharry's post summed up Udon pretty well. Been living here for nearly 7 years. Within the urban and suburban area internet, electric and water are reasonably good (you can go a month without cuts sometimes) and there are many places to rent - you can find one anywhere within a few hours (Most are just thai language signs). Then just up to what you want. Nightlife scene for farang pretty dire compared to 5-10 years ago, but still plenty of quite relaxing bars - mostly out of town centre. In town mainly cater for the 2 week millionaires and often empty these days as less of them, and the residents are getting older, most came in the last 10 years so stay at home more. Resident expats outnumber tourists about ten to one. Food not a problem - well any more than elsewhere in Thailand.

Yes, you need something to do unless you like alcohol a lot. I do gardening, fishing and Bridge apart from the computer. Build up a small social circle to meet up for a drink and a natter once or twice a week to keep the jungle fever at bay. traffic has exploded in the last 5 years and traffic jams at commuting time or holidays bad on the ring road and inside it. 3 website/forums i would recommend for research - Udon-news.com, Udonmap and Udontalk.

Good luck

Watch out for the RTP when playing Bridge.

• 2 weeks later...