Converting tourist visa to Retirement visa in Thailand

Could someone kindly walk me through the process including

-when should I start the process and how much time do I need

-can I do it in Pattaya

-I have dependent foreign wife under 50...can she also convert from tourist visa to dependent visa in country after I have done mine

-when should the money be put in bank and how much

Thanks for any advice!

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a change of visa status at Jomtien immigration  to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry and then apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the entry. You would need at least 15 days remaining on the 60 day entry from the tourist visa.

To apply for the visa the 800k baht only has to be in a Thai bank on the date you apply. When you apply for the extension it will need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

Your wife would not be able to do the change based upon being your dependent.

Your best option would be for you and your wife to go to the embassy in Vientiane Laos to get single entry non-o visas. You would need to have the 800k baht in the bank on the date you apply. Your wife would show your marriage certificate to qualify for the  hers as your dependent.

Then you could apply for your extension and then after you have the stamp for it your wife could apply for an extension of stay as your dependent. Your marriage certificate will need to be legalized/certified by your embassy (if possible) or government when she applies for the extension.

You don't mention  the 65,000 Baht per month option.

33 minutes ago, bridge2bridge said:

You don't mention  the 65,000 Baht per month option.

To apply for the extension of stay based on retirement the 800.000 bath must have been in your bank account for at least 60 days. For renewal 90 days. Or you need a letter from your embassy, which states you have a monthly income over 65.000 baht. You can also use a combination of these. It can be done in Pattaya. It might be easier if you used an agent.

3 minutes ago, machans88 said:

for retirement visa do you need to have turned 50 already, or can it be in the year you turn 50...eg  i turn 50 in may 2017, can i apply for retirement visa in january 2017, the year i turn 50?

You have to be 50 years old on the date your apply for a visa or extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 1

There is one other possibility no one has mentioned and that is to justify your financial status partly with monthly pension income and partly with capital in the bank. If you use this means, you calculate it as follows: subtract your annual pension income in Baht from 800,000 and the sum remaining is the amount you you need on deposit in the bank. The same rules regarding "maturing" your bank deposit apply in this case also.

16 hours ago, paulbj2 said:

There is one other possibility no one has mentioned and that is to justify your financial status partly with monthly pension income and partly with capital in the bank. If you use this means, you calculate it as follows: subtract your annual pension income in Baht from 800,000 and the sum remaining is the amount you you need on deposit in the bank. The same rules regarding "maturing" your bank deposit apply in this case also.

Was mentioned in post 5.  People had a real hard time with reading this thread especially answering questions that were not asked.  Get focused, it saves time.

On 12/22/2016 at 7:56 PM, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a change of visa status at Jomtien immigration  to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry and then apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the entry. You would need at least 15 days remaining on the 60 day entry from the tourist visa.

To apply for the visa the 800k baht only has to be in a Thai bank on the date you apply. When you apply for the extension it will need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

Your best option would be for you and your wife to go to the embassy in Vientiane Laos to get single entry non-o visas. You would need to have the 800k baht in the bank on the date you apply. Your wife would show your marriage certificate to qualify for the  hers as your dependent.

Then you could apply for your extension and then after you have the stamp for it your wife could apply for an extension of stay as your dependent. Your marriage certificate will need to be legalized/certified by your embassy (if possible) or government when she applies for the extension.

I'll be 50 in April 2017. Should I apply in the US for a retirement visa in April or is it better to enter on a tourist visa whether I'm 50 (In April) or still 49 ( Feb/March) and change it when I'm there? Also... I'll be doing the 800k deposit, just to be clear,  this should be opened 60 days prior to applying for a retirement visa or 90 days. Thanks in advance for your feedback 

7 minutes ago, DrPH said:

I'll be 50 in April 2017. Should I apply in the US for a retirement visa in April or is it better to enter on a tourist visa whether I'm 50 (In April) or still 49 ( Feb/March) and change it when I'm there? Also... I'll be doing the 800k deposit, just to be clear,  this should be opened 60 days prior to applying for a retirement visa or 90 days. Thanks in advance for your feedback 

You could get a tourist visa and enter before your birthday. Open a bank account and transfer the 800k baht into the country. Then apply for a change of visa status on your birth day to get the 90 day entry. The money would not need to be in the bank for 60 days to do the change. Then apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of of the 90 day entry by then you would have the money the bank for the required 60 days.

If were in the states you could apply for a single entry non-o visa at one of the honorary consulates ( see http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/) there on or after your birthday. Or you could apply for a OA long stay visa at the embassy in DC or one of the official consulates in LA, NY or Chicago.

For the non-o visa you would not need any financial proof. Just your passport to prove your age. They after your arrive here put the money in the bank and apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 entry when you have the funds in the bank for 60 days.

Requirements for the OA visa is here on embassy website. http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

• Like 2

On 2016-12-22 at 6:56 PM, ubonjoe said:

Thanks to all for the input....so Ubonjoe, looking at the numbers, based on the example of 15 days left on the remaining 60

(days counted from first entry)

day 1 enter on 60 day tourist visa....

day 45 deposit 800 k into Thai bank

day 45 convert 60 day visa to 90 day non-imm (do I get fresh 90 days from the day 45 apply date or is it counted from day 1)

day 105  money has seasoned for 60 days

day 105 apply for extension of stay....

The key question I have is whether this puts me on overstay at anytime, as it isn't before day 105 that I apply for the extension

Thanks!

6 hours ago, blazel said:

Thanks to all for the input....so Ubonjoe, looking at the numbers, based on the example of 15 days left on the remaining 60

(days counted from first entry)

day 1 enter on 60 day tourist visa....

day 45 deposit 800 k into Thai bank

day 45 convert 60 day visa to 90 day non-imm (do I get fresh 90 days from the day 45 apply date or is it counted from day 1)

day 105  money has seasoned for 60 days

day 105 apply for extension of stay....

The key question I have is whether this puts me on overstay at anytime, as it isn't before day 105 that I apply for the extension

Thanks!

You can deposit the money in the bank on any day during your entry up to the date you apply for the change.

You only need 15 days remaining on your entry to apply it is not earliest date you can apply. If you were not able to do it by day 45 you could apply for a 30 day extension to allow more time.

You would not be on overstay since you will get a new 90 day entry when you apply for the visa. If applied on day 45 you would not be on overstay until after day 135.

3 minutes ago, ST11 said:

If I arrived to Thailand without visa ( under visa extemption theme) can I apply for retirement visa?

You can apply for a 90 non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for a extension of stay based upon retirement at some immigration offices. You would need at least 15 days remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ST11 said:

Thanks 

But don't forget that with a visa-less passport you run the risk of being denied boarding at check-in if you are planning to fly into Thailand on a one-way ticket, unless you can produce evidence of an onward flight booking out of Thailand within the following 30 days.

On 12/24/2016 at 9:45 AM, DrPH said:

One more time everybody there is no such thing as a retirement Visa it is an extension of permission to stay

based on retirement or marriage to a Thai national. Are you people really that slow that you cannot do minimal

research on the subject that you are enquiring about or are you just plain idle??

You may not know or even care but the use of the wrong terminology regarding Visas and extensions has and

continues to cause never-ending confusion so please, please try to get it right for everyones sake, thanks.