''Let it be an arms race'', says President-elect Donald Trump

rooster59

''Let it be an arms race'', says President-elect Donald Trump

606x341_353186.jpg

Donald Trump has reportedly said ‘‘let it be an arms race,’‘ the day after he called for the US to strengthen and expand its nuclear capability.

The President-elect is said to have made the comment in an interview with MSNBC which had sought clarification over Thursday’s tweet in which he threatened a major ramping up of the US’s atomic arsenal.

Earlier, Trump’s transition team released a letter they say was sent from the Kremlin.

The soon to be president said ‘‘a very nice letter from Vladimir Putin, his thoughts are so correct.

The Russian leader, who had also called on Thursday for his country to boost its own atomic weapons capability, said earlier he saw nothing unusual in Trump’s pledge to increase America’s nuclear forces.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-24

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The Russian leader, who had also called on Thursday for his country to boost its own atomic weapons capability, said earlier he saw nothing unusual in Trump’s pledge to increase America’s nuclear forces.

Follow the money folks. Got to wonder what company interests both leaders hold. Play nice with each other while continuing an arms race to funnel money to certain military companies. Seems like a win-win for them.

49 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Donald Trump has reportedly said ‘‘let it be an arms race,’‘ the day after he called for the US to strengthen and expand its nuclear capability.

The Full quote for more context:

"Let it be an arms race because we will outmatch them at every pass and outlast them all," Trump said, reported MSNBC's Morning Joe.

And of course the ridiculous 'morning joe' skit with the anchors in their pajamas feigning shock. Beyond dumb. 

The response was coming from this tweet:

Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 10.53.00 AM.png

And Mika Brzezinski from MSNBC asked him to clarify this tweet, privately, over the phone, in a conversation for witch we have no context and only get this one 'soundbite' from some news anchors in their pajamas.

Sure, why not a new arms race to supplement the never-ending- war as a profit making enterprise for the few. It is easy once you have convinced the deplorable masses that the deficit does not come from military spending accompanied by lower taxes on the war profiteers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

This is like a badly scripted SNL skit.  The producer would toss it out saying, "come on guys, this dialogue is too silly.  It's got to be at least a tiny bit believable to be witty or funny.  This stuff is too outlandish.  Go and re-write it so it's at least remotely believable."

The one good thing about a nuclear battle is:  Less humans = a respite for the many species which are being wiped out by humans (most notably, the Chinese with their insatiable lust for exotic animal parts).

a poem by Robert Frost:

"Some say the world will end in fire / Some say in ice. 
From what I’ve tasted of desire / I hold with those who favor fire. 
But if it had to perish twice / I think I know enough of hate 
To say that for destruction ice  /  Is also great and would suffice.

Note to Frost:  We've got a nuclear-loving, quick-to-anger dufus in charge of the US now.  You may want to update your poem to suppose the world will end in fire.

Well, Obama tried to kowtow and appease many rouge nations and enemies of the state, and look where it got him, ( more like got us ) he got Syria, ISIL,

wars everywhere, and the Arabs and Muslims don't like the US any more than in Bush time, so let Trump try his methods and will all see how will they work for him/us.....  

45 minutes ago, Silurian said:

Follow the money folks. Got to wonder what company interests both leaders hold. Play nice with each other while continuing an arms race to funnel money to certain military companies. Seems like a win-win for them.

Money is part of the equation.  In my view, just as important is comparative penis size.  Trump gives new meaning to "if you play with fire, you may get burned."   

Hey, where can I invest in nuclear bombs?  Are they traded on the Wall Street Exchange?  Also:  bomb shelters, packaged food (for long term), burn wards, concrete & steel (everything will have to be re-built after a nuclear battle).  I would invest in insurance companies, but they too may be wiped off the map.

Trump should be given a bunch of large fire crackers (and a few hand grenades), and allowed to stroll around the White House lawn, popping them off.  Maybe that would relieve some of his need to blow things up. 

A bit more context from Politico, if anyone actually cares about that sort of thing:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-nuclear-arms-race-russia-232944

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/trump-said-the-us-should-expand-nuclear-weapons-hes-right-214546

All this started because the US nuclear stockpile is outdated. This is fact. 

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Moron or Muon, close enough.

• Electron.
  • Positron.
  • Muon.
  • Antimuon.
  • Tau.
  • Antitau.
  • Electron neutrino.
  • Electron antineutrino.

Thanks for enlightening me.......but the gist of my comment is that only morons perpetrate an arms race.

Just now, PatOngo said:

Thanks for enlightening me.......but the gist of my comment is that only morons perpetrate an arms race.

Sorry man but the only ones perpetrating an arms race is the MSNBC & Mika Brzezinski. In their pajamas. Feigning shock. This would be breaking news otherwise, stopping regularly scheduled TV programming to bring it to you. 

55 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Well, Obama tried to kowtow and appease many rouge nations and enemies of the state, and look where it got him, ( more like got us ) he got Syria, ISIL,

wars everywhere, and the Arabs and Muslims don't like the US any more than in Bush time, so let Trump try his methods and will all see how will they work for him/us.....  

.......and Syria, ISIS is a direct consequence of the policies and actions of the Bush led administration.

Republicans seem to conveniently forget that........

40 minutes ago, Aggressive said:

Yep and funding has already been allocated & estimated at approx US$1 trillion over 30 years to modernise and maintain the nuclear arsenal. As your link quite correctly  highlighted it is utmost recklessness to tweet on strategic nuclear weapons policy that can be open to misunderstanding / misinterpretation / mis.... / mis...

If this is the future standard for a US Administration to communicate with the world on such important matters, not a good look and frankly undermines US credibility.

46 minutes ago, Aggressive said:

A bit more context from Politico, if anyone actually cares about that sort of thing:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-nuclear-arms-race-russia-232944

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/trump-said-the-us-should-expand-nuclear-weapons-hes-right-214546

US and Russia has 90% of the world nuclear stockpile. There is a treaty to continue to decrease the number of nuclear weapons each hold. Stockpile is outdate? yes many are but that doesn't mean they can't still use it, its just in a less effective way to be deployed.

I think Trumps always speaks before he thinks, so his words can be interpret in many ways. The US still has the most advance capabilities, and it would take another decade for Russia or China to catch up. So in the mean time, Trump does not need to mislead people with words and get off of the damn social media.

14 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

How has he been reckless?

This is posturing and part of the negotiation process.

First the stick, then the carrot.

Watch and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putin has him wound up like a clock, quite amusing to see.

15 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Yep and funding has already been allocated & estimated at approx US$1 trillion over 30 years to modernise and maintain the nuclear arsenal. As your link quite correctly  highlighted it is utmost recklessness to tweet on strategic nuclear weapons policy that can be open to misunderstanding / misinterpretation / mis.... / mis...

If this is the future standard for a US Administration to communicate with the world on such important matters, not a good look and frankly undermines US credibility.

He didn't tweet on strategic nuclear weapons policy lmao. Taking that to a bit of an extreme yourself. I agree he shouldn't have said anything but its a tweet & a sensationalized report from pajama wearing idiots. 

8 minutes ago, mike324 said:

US and Russia has 90% of the world nuclear stockpile. There is a treaty to continue to decrease the number of nuclear weapons each hold. Stockpile is outdate? yes many are but that doesn't mean they can't still use it, its just in a less effective way to be deployed.

I think Trumps always speaks before he thinks, so his words can be interpret in many ways. The US still has the most advance capabilities, and it would take another decade for Russia or China to catch up. So in the mean time, Trump does not need to mislead people with words and get off of the damn social media.

I agree, but I also agree that no matter what we need top shelf defenses and I see nothing wrong making sure we are completely modernized. The US should never be "less effective" if we have capabilities to be more effective. Nukes are out there, the only defense is more nukes. Nuke us and we obliterate you sort of thing. 

People don't like thinking of it like that, but its completely true. 

Dont underestimate Russia & their capabilities. 

Yes Trump needs to quit trolling the MSM, I agree with that. 

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:
a poem by Robert Frost:

"Some say the world will end in fire / Some say in ice. 
From what I’ve tasted of desire / I hold with those who favor fire. 
But if it had to perish twice / I think I know enough of hate 
To say that for destruction ice  /  Is also great and would suffice.

Note to Frost:  We've got a nuclear-loving, quick-to-anger dufus in charge of the US now.  You may want to update your poem to suppose the world will end in fire.

to boomerangutang from Robert the Frost:

to update this and modernize / I fear I'm not much of a hinter
so I tell it straight and hope it suffice / after nuclear fire comes nuclear winter!

Archived