whats the Homeless Farang situation like these days ?

Bonobojt

18 hours ago, deathmule said:

The one story I personally know is of a Danish guy who came here, became broke and was sleeping in the Beach Road of Jomtien.

He would sleep in the beach and every morning and evening an old Thai lady would bring him food. Nobody ratted him and therefore he didn't go to jail

Now he has a job as a teacher and he's loving life.

Notably this old lady lent him 3000THB so he could buy some new clothes for his job and could afford to buy a bus ticket

Now he's a teacher. Priceless! As if a teacher's reputation couldn't get any lower.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

Iinmight try sleeping on the beach once or twice on my up and coming trip.

Saife 800baht a night! That's a nice meal and some beers! Some hotels allow you to store your luggage until you return..

I could store my luggage, check out and from 12 - 12 noon next day get hammered and fall asleep on the beach or if im lucky some girls apartment

If It's the beach, and not some girl's apartment, there's no charge for the mosquito and sandfly bites, but remember that If a bite becomes Infected , a  night In a  hotel may look cheap compared with the medical costs.

M

16 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

I might try sleeping on the beach once or twice on my up and coming trip.

Save 800baht a night! That's a nice meal and some beers! Some hotels allow you to store your luggage until you return..

I could store my luggage, check out and from 12 - 12 noon next day get hammered and fall asleep on the beach or if im lucky some girls apartment

Sadly you won't land at some girl's apartment, unless many thousand baht notes stick out of your pocket. Stick to your old story, buy some beer at 7-Eleven, drop in some bar for free Wi-Fi and a bit of telly, but the one beer during Happy Hour, and then go to the beach. Happy holidays, Mr Quality Tourist!

16 hours ago, roo860 said:

Only 7 posts before we get the classic question!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Yep, I was just thinking, well, a great happy end. I've just received the three months occurrences of an institution that helps a certain nationality in emergency situations where I'm volunteering when something comes up in my area.

Really bad news from a guy who came to LOS to commit suicide but survived and finally landed in a psychiatric hospital to an HIV positive guy who also wanted to die here and stopped taking his Antiviral medication.

It must be nice to jerk on the keyboard when reading such a story of a homeless guy who finally made it. Those guys who ask such questions wouldn't have a problem to inform the authorities and that's very sad.

I have to say it again that foreigners in Thailand seem to be the biggest enemies of foreigners.

Merry Christmas to all the snitches on this so festive forum. 

Edited by lostinisaan

11 hours ago, blackcab said:

I've seen a few in Bangkok. The last guy I saw clearly had mental health issues. He was berating a tree outside of the Philippine Embassy. He was in a desperate state, but I'm not sure he realised it himself.

maybe his alter ego realised but was too scared to tell him

probably fall into 2 category's

1. Mental health issues

2. Left home country and ran out of money ..not much options left if you have no property/ close family at home especially later in life... even if you do scrape enough cash for ticket home ... what do you do once you step off the plane ?

37 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

Yep, I was just thinking, well, a great happy end. I've just received the three months occurrences of an institution that helps a certain nationality in emergency situations where I'm volunteering when something comes up in my area.

Really bad news from a guy who came to LOS to commit suicide but survived and finally landed in a psychiatric hospital to an HIV positive guy who also wanted to die here and stopped taking his Antiviral medication.

It must be nice to jerk on the keyboard when reading such a story of a homeless guy who finally made it. Those guys who ask such questions wouldn't have a problem to inform the authorities and that's very sad.

I have to say it again that foreigners in Thailand seem to be the biggest enemies of foreigners.

Merry Christmas to all the snitches on this so festive forum. 

I did that post and it was meant to be tongue in cheek , a bit of subtle humor directed at people who usually post such things seriously .

There are many farangs, destitute or homeless that hang around Khaosan area. Between 5 acquaintances, I would not say friends, have an accumulation of 25 years overstays between them.

One was recently caught in Kanchanaburi on 3 yr overstay, getting mao mao, sometimes violent  and not paying his guesthouse bill. Rounded up and back in UK with a 10 year ban. Another from Finland on 11 years overstay, homeless and an admitted alcoholic, relying on handouts mainly from locals. His family came to the rescue. Emergency travel doc., 20K baht paid at airport on his departure. No future ban at all.

Another from US, running up tabs everywhere for booze, food and accommodation, and then doing a runner. He was almost caught stealing beer from 7/11 and managed to evade the employees running after him. 

Yes, there is still a major problem. Many remain under the radar awaiting eventually being caught, but the BIB are somewhat blind unless a crime is committed and they are caught. They are clearly visible, but somewhat invisible to the authorities. 

I don't feel sorry for them in the least, as they don't want to return home to reality, but are happy to live here as destitute alcoholics. 

11 minutes ago, owenm said:

There are many farangs, destitute or homeless that hang around Khaosan area. Between 5 acquaintances, I would not say friends, have an accumulation of 25 years overstays between them.

One was recently caught in Kanchanaburi on 3 yr overstay, getting mao mao, sometimes violent  and not paying his guesthouse bill. Rounded up and back in UK with a 10 year ban. Another from Finland on 11 years overstay, homeless and an admitted alcoholic, relying on handouts mainly from locals. His family came to the rescue. Emergency travel doc., 20K baht paid at airport on his departure. No future ban at all.

Another from US, running up tabs everywhere for booze, food and accommodation, and then doing a runner. He was almost caught stealing beer from 7/11 and managed to evade the employees running after him. 

Yes, there is still a major problem. Many remain under the radar awaiting eventually being caught, but the BIB are somewhat blind unless a crime is committed and they are caught. They are clearly visible, but somewhat invisible to the authorities. 

I don't feel sorry for them in the least, as they don't want to return home to reality, but are happy to live here as destitute alcoholics. 

I do not agree that any one is happy as a homeless destitute alcoholic. We all are fortunate to have what we have and someone or many people have helped us all along our journey. While we make mostly good decisions all of us have done stupid things that could have been disastrous. All of us have been helped along the way to have a successful life.   I have found many Thai people and expats to be empathetic and kind to others.  Does not surprise me that the Thai woman fed the homeless man or gave him money. The ones of us with the least are often the most humble and thankful and generous. Not meant to slap on the ones that have much as many are good people. Just a lifelong observation that many people that have little possess great understanding and compassion for those that are living on the streets. We all could be there but for the help of others in our life.  Peace ?

4 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I sometimes pass a farang that is selling tissue paper on the sidewalk. I am not really in the tissue buying business on my way for my daily morning coffee, so I never checked with him what his P&L is and I am not sure if he is homeless, but there he is nevertheless.

Does he have a working Visa for that  ?

40 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Does he have a working Visa for that  ?

You're asking the same question already in post # 7. Is that all you can produce? 

My friend's working without a working Visa. He lives at the 7 Eleven in Pattaya, right next to the snitchplace. 

2 hours ago, Wake Up said:

I do not agree that any one is happy as a homeless destitute alcoholic. We all are fortunate to have what we have and someone or many people have helped us all along our journey. While we make mostly good decisions all of us have done stupid things that could have been disastrous. All of us have been helped along the way to have a successful life.   I have found many Thai people and expats to be empathetic and kind to others.  Does not surprise me that the Thai woman fed the homeless man or gave him money. The ones of us with the least are often the most humble and thankful and generous. Not meant to slap on the ones that have much as many are good people. Just a lifelong observation that many people that have little possess great understanding and compassion for those that are living on the streets. We all could be there but for the help of others in our life.  Peace ?

Any of us could have a stroke, a heart attack, lose our homes to somebody we once trusted and life can get pretty strange when somebody does a hit and run. 

It's nice that there are people around who help others, instead of asking if he'd have a "work visa" for begging. 

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I sometimes pass a farang that is selling tissue paper on the sidewalk. I am not really in the tissue buying business on my way for my daily morning coffee, so I never checked with him what his P&L is and I am not sure if he is homeless, but there he is nevertheless.

But you could buy it and sell it as toilet paper.....:passifier:

7 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

If It's the beach, and not some girl's apartment, there's no charge for the mosquito and sandfly bites, but remember that If a bite becomes Infected , a  night In a  hotel may look cheap compared with the medical costs.

M

Are you saying that the bird of paradise could fly up his nose? Opps sorry thats a flower.